Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Kronicka Polska
    (Chronicles of Poland)
    Part One
    Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem
    (When The Sun Was a God)

]
    Welcome to an ambitious attempt that I have been working on for some time. Essentially, this is a series of linked AAR's, spanning a total of 4 game mods (and thus 4 seperate but continuous AAR's), from the years 463 AD to 1730 AD. Of course, in all games, I will be playing Poland.....

LIST OF GAME AAR'S
    1. Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God (using Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod) - currently playing
    2. Gesta Principum Polonorum - Deeds of the Princes of Poland 888-1222 AD (using the Dark Ages Sicilian Vespers mod) - not started
    3. Dynastia Jagiellonów - The Middle Kingdom 1212-1401 AD (using the High Ages Sicilian Vespers mod) - not started
    4. Venimus, Vidimus, Deus vincit - We came, We saw, God conquered 1401-1730 AD (using the Renaissance Age Sicilian Vepsers mod) - not started

I wanted a fifth game to be included, for the time period between the 1st and second stories (covering the years of 578-888 AD, but could not find any mods for that time period. If someone has any suggestions, please let me know....

House Rules Used for the AAR's
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I tend to use a good deal of house rules when I play RtW, and this will be no exception. Below is a list of the general rules I will adhere to while playing:

1. No re-starts from saves unless it is required due to a ctd or similiar problem. I must take whatever hapens during the game.
    2. I will roleplay my characters to their fullest according to thier traits. For example, a general who is cowardly, will be played as one (ie, he will hide away in castes, not enter combat, etc). Likewise, traits such as Grower will be used in building choices (ie, a Grower governor will prefer farm-related building choices over all others for the settlement).
    3. Game settings will always be Hard/Hard, with restricted camera view.
    4. I will forgo normal victory conditions and instead opt to only conquer those settlements that I control in the next game. For instance, in the Dark Ages Sicilian Vepsers mod, Poland begins with only two settlements, Krakow and Halych. These two cities roughly match the settlements of Campus Venedae and Campus Borusci in Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod, thus I cannot conquer any other settlements during this game. I will allow myself to raid enemy settlements but cannot hold them.
    5. Since there were no centralized rule or kings of the Slavs during the time frame of the first game, I will play my settlements as being independent of one another. Each settlement will represent a seperate Slavic tribe, with its own family tree and family members. Each turn, I will determine the income generated by each settlement and keep a record from turn to turn of the total treasury of each settlement. Only monies from a particular recorded treasury can be spent on a given settlement. Likewise, armies from different settlements cannot merge into a single stack, but must remain sperate on the campaign map - though they can participate in battles together, arriving as reinforcements on the battlefield.

Changes to Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod

I have implemented several changes to Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod, as listed below. These changes were done to allow more historical play:

1. Instead of the normal six provinces that the Slavic factions begins with, I restricted it to only two settlements within Polish borders.
    2. I redesigned the Slavic units for the scenario, both with new stats, skins names and descriptions as detailed below:

{alan_noble_cavalry} Konnica Kagana
    {alan_noble_cavalry_descr}
    The Avars came onto the Danubian Plain in what is sometimes considered the second wave of nomads that would enter European via the Russian Steppe after Attila’s Huns came in the 5th century. The Avars were a powerful military force and in many ways very sophisticated militarily compared to their neighbours. Immediately they posed a threat to the Byzantine Empire, raiding across the Danube, even threatening Constantinople itself. All these military endeavours would not have been possible but for one key element in Avar warfare; the Slavs. The Avars that had occupied the Hungarian Plain came into proximity of the Slavic population already living there, and extensively used Slavonic warriors in its military operations, besieging cities and providing the infantry in the army. It became almost standard for Avar armies to be mainly composed of a Slavic infantry element, and there would even become a blend of nomad and settled Slav culture in the Avar realm. The Avars of course, being a nomadic people, would have provided the Slavs with their heavy cavalry on the battlefield. The king of the Avars, called the Khagan in Old Turkic, would have the finest of the Avar nobility at his disposal. Heavy riders armed in chain mail and lamellar, Avar nobility was in no ways poor, prosperous from the constant raids against Byzantium in the south, and even the Franks in the west.
    {alan_noble_cavalry_descr_short}
    Alan Noble Cavalry are among the heavyweights of the steppes: men who are trained to charge home into foes, breaking them through speed and shock. That said, they should not be thrown away in futile charges against spearmen.

{slav_cav_raiders} Konnica
    {slav_cav_raiders_descr}
    The question of the use of cavalry among the Slavs has always been one disputed among historians. The most numerous sources on Slavic warfare come to us from the Byzantines, describing the Slavic raiders that had been penetrating Greece from across the Danube. It can be accepted that by the 7th c. the use of the horse among the Slavs was widespread, and most definitely among the elite. Evidence for this is provided in the nature of raids into Byzantium, which would have been made much easier on horseback. In addition the proximity of nomadic peoples in the northern Balkans to the Slavs there would have made the use of horsemen more widespread, and it seems the Avar and Bulgar raiding parties included Slavic cavalry as well. The average Slavic horseman would have very little difference in armour and weaponry from his infantry counterpart. Weapons ranged from axes, maces, to clubs, and in later periods swords. Javelins would also have been used. Armour, in the common trend of early Slavs, was very limited. Round shields and the occasional helmet of the conical shape, often imported from Western Europe, and the ‘Polish Great helms’ sporting a tall point, common of the East and borrowed from Persia. Slavic horsemen also used spurs, something that set them apart from the nomads.
    {slav_cav_raiders_descr_short}
    Konnica are light cavalrymen, best able to harass and pursue enemies rather than charge home. They are also useful in driving off enemy skirmishers and missile troops.

{morav_cavalry} Konnica Druzina
    {morav_cavalry_descr}
    The early Slavs were NOT a horse culture, and favored light, unarmored infantry using ambush, and hit and run tactics. Only much later, after contact with other horse cultures like the Huns, Avars and Bulgars, did they start to adopt armored cavalry and armored infantry. The Venedi, however, had much more contact with the steppe peoples, and have adopted to the horse much earlier.\n\nVenedi cavalry fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour, more effective against the cold than against weapons. These Venede cavalry can fight well under most circumstances. They are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.
    {morav_cavalry_descr_short}
    Venedi cavalry fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

{slav_archer_cavalry} Konnica Lucznik
    {slav_archer_cavalry_descr}
    Coming across the Carpathian basin, it is estimated the Avar host may have numbered as much as 50 000 pastoral nomads, once the Avars had absorbed many of the Huns and Bulgars in their wake. Entering Europe they were a typical nomadic force, based on mass units of light cavalry supported by heavy riders. The Avar light cavalry used the composite bough, albeit a shorter version from the Hunnic model. Throughout the second half of the 6th century these horsemen laid waste upon their neighbours, destroying the Gepids, subduing the Balkan Slavs, and creating havoc on the Byzantine border. It would not be till Byzantium’s end of war against Persia and a massive Slavic uprising that this semi-settled kingdom of the Avars finally went into decline, receiving its final blow from Charlemagne’s Franks. What remained of the Avars would be absorbed in the Slavic peoples they had once controlled.
    {slav_archer_cavalry_descr_short}
    Konnica Lucznik fight with axe and shields but only a padded cloth as armor. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

{druzhina_foot} Druzina
    {druzhina_foot_descr}
    The nature of early Slavic warfare can be characterized by this group of companions, synonymous in all of the modern Slavic tongues and tied to the tribal relationships of fealty that had preceded feudalism. The term Družina itself is rooted in the Proto-Slavic word for friend, drug?, still present among modern Slavs in some form. In an era before feudalism, the central factor to conducting warfare was a potentate’s personal bodyguard, his group of closest companions, the Družina. These men were tied to their overlord through bonds similar to those of the Germanic peoples, and were supplied all their equipment and land by their lord. In exchange, they served as a standing army for the prince, almost always mobilized, travelling with him from gord to gord, and ready for war.
    Being the finest warriors at the disposal of the knez, they are the military elite of Slavic society, and their armour and equipment is evident of this. Not until the 9th c. that armour and swords had become more widespread among the Slavs and till that time only the Druzinniks had disposal to such fine weaponry. The Družina system would finally meet its end with the advent of feudalism into Eastern Europe, which allowed for greater manpower to be called up in times of war. The former Družina warrior class would gradually become the landed knights of the High Middle Ages.
    {druzhina_foot_descr_short}
    The Druzina were the military elite of the Slavs. They became a detachment of select troops in personal service of a chieftain.

{steppe_spearmen_slav} Borcje
    {steppe_spearmen_slav_descr}
    The spear was another common weapon, cheap but effective nonetheless, and available to warriors of all classes. Sources also mention each warrior was armed with two javelins that are used aside from his main weapon. The typical Slav warrior-raider was absent of any armour aside from a round shield, in sources often noted for its shoddy quality. Some warriors are even described as wearing nothing but trousers into battle, with no tunics present. It was these lightly armed peoples that came out of the darkness of the Pripet areas and came to be known by the west as the Sclavi, Antes, and Wends. Their tactics involved the use of forest, ambush, and terrain to defeat foes of numerical and technological superiority, while early warfare was raid-based and large scale operations were uncommon till the later rise of powerful chieftains in the 7th and 8th centuries.
    {steppe_spearmen_slav_descr_short}
    Borcje are recruited from amongst the young and low-status members of a tribe. They are given a spear, a shield and a good lesson in obedience to their betters before being pushed into a battle line.

{venedi_infantry} Togi Voje
    {venedi_infantry_descr}
    The absence of armour was a common feature among the early Slavs. Not till later periods (9th c.) during which clan chiefs were consolidating their power do we see wider use of swords, helms, and chain mail. Even then only the wealthier strata of society would have the financial capacity for such equipment, but nonetheless it was no longer an uncommon site. These ‘heavy warriors’ would be the finest infantry at a knez’s disposal and their fierce Slavic warrior spirit combined with increased quality of armament makes them a deadly force on the battlefield. Heavier Slavic warriors of the later periods would still be armed with common weapons like axe and spear, but the sword was now coming into wider use as well. Round shields would still be the norm, and not till the 11th c. does the Norman kite shield come into use. Helmets would now also be much more commonly, the most widespread type in the west being the conical helmet, often imported from Francia and Germany, while oriental-style helmets were common in eastern Poland and the Rus’.
    {venedi_infantry_descr_short}
    Togi Voje fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

{slav_skirmishers} Voje
    {slav_skirmishers_descr}
    The axe was a favourite weapon among the tribal warriors. Cheap but devastating, the Slavs made good use of domestic axes (topor) and specialized battle-axes (bordy) of varying weight and blade shape. The wide use of such a weapon made the Slavic warrior a terrifying force on the battlefield, and combined with the military traditions and hot-headedness of these peoples this ensured the varying success that powerful political bodies like Byzantium and Frankland had fighting against these new invaders from the east, who in the example of the former often found Slavic armies with Avar support pounding on the gates of Constantinople itself.
    The equipment of these men would be persistent with the norm; absence of armour, with only the defence provided by one’s shield.
    {slav_skirmishers_descr_short}
    These men employ both axe and javelin first to severely weaken the enemy, then to run them to ground with a devastating assault.

{slav_west_raiders} Zochodni Voje
    {slav_west_raiders_descr}
    The axe was a favourite weapon among the tribal warriors. Cheap but devastating, the Slavs made good use of domestic axes (topor) and specialized battle-axes (bordy) of varying weight and blade shape. The wide use of such a weapon made the Slavic warrior a terrifying force on the battlefield, and combined with the military traditions and hot-headedness of these peoples this ensured the varying success that powerful political bodies like Byzantium and Frankland had fighting against these new invaders from the east, who in the example of the former often found Slavic armies with Avar support pounding on the gates of Constantinople itself.
    The equipment of these men would be persistent with the norm; absence of armour, with only the defence provided by one’s shield.
    {slav_west_raiders_descr_short}
    Armed with the Slavic axe and javelins, these warriors fight on foot with a simple wooden shield but no armor. They are quite useful to break an enemy's battle line.

{east_slav_raider} Lekki Voje
    {east_slav_raider_descr}
    These light skirmishers employ hit and run tactics, relying on speed to get out of harm's way rather than brute force.\n\nThese units are nothing more than to harrass enemies and thin their ranks with missile volleys before the main battle is joined and sometimes as a raiding parties looking to create the element of surprise by striking and leaving quickly. They are a reluctant standard unit, but being slavs they are expert in 'guerilla' type warfare. They are capable of fighting hand-to-hand, but this is not their strength and against anyone other than other skirmishers they will suffer disproportionate casualties.\n\nThey carry little war gear other than their weapons, giving them their speed over rough terrain.
    {east_slav_raider_descr_short}
    Skirmishers are best employed to harrass enemies and thin their ranks with missile volleys before the main battle is joined.

Coming across the Carpathian basin, it is estimated the Avar host may have numbered as much as 50 000 pastoral nomads, once the Avars had absorbed many of the Huns and Bulgars in their wake. Entering Europe they were a typical nomadic force, based on mass units of light cavalry supported by heavy riders. The Avar light cavalry used the composite bough, albeit a shorter version from the Hunnic model. Throughout the second half of the 6th century these horsemen laid waste upon their neighbours, destroying the Gepids, subduing the Balkan Slavs, and creating havoc on the Byzantine border. It would not be till Byzantium’s end of war against Persia and a massive Slavic uprising that this semi-settled kingdom of the Avars finally went into decline, receiving its final blow from Charlemagne’s Franks. What remained of the Avars would be absorbed in the Slavic peoples they had once controlled.
    Konnica Lucznik fight with axe and shields but only a padded cloth as armor. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

I have to thank Riothamus and Squid for their assistance in making these changes to my games.

Story Chapter List (For Easy Navigation of Thread)

I should begin my first game tonight and hope to have my first AAR post in a day or so. Until then....
    Last edited by Brucha; June 09, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

1. Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God (using Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod) - currently playing

Default Re: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Quote Originally Posted by Brucha View Post
    Kronicka Polska

(Chronicles of Poland)
    Part One
    Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem
    (When The Sun Was a God)

Welcome to an ambitious attempt that I have been working on for some time. Essentially, this is a series of linked AAR's, spanning a total of 4 game mods (and thus 4 seperate but continuous AAR's), from the years 463 AD to 1730 AD. Of course, in all games, I will be playing Poland....

Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God

LIST OF GAME AAR'S
    1. [COLOR=#800080]http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=398648]Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God 463-578 AD(using Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod) - currently playing
    2. Gesta Principum Polonorum - Deeds of the Princes of Poland 888-1222 AD (using the Dark Ages Sicilian Vespers mod) - not started
    3. Dynastia Jagiellonów - The Jagiellon Dynasty 1212-1401 AD (using the High Ages Sicilian Vespers mod) - not started
    4. Venimus, Vidimus, Deus vincit - We came, We saw, God conquered 1401-1730 AD (using the Renaissance Age Sicilian Vepsers mod) - not started

I wanted a fifth game to be included, for the time period between the 1st and second stories (covering the years of 578-888 AD, but could not find any mods for that time period. If someone has any suggestions, please let me know....

House Rules Used for the AAR's

I tend to use a good deal of house rules when I play RtW, and this will be no exception. Below is a list of the general rules I will adhere to while playing:

1. No re-starts from saves unless it is required due to a ctd or similiar problem. I must take whatever hapens during the game.
    2. I will roleplay my characters to their fullest according to thier traits. For example, a general who is cowardly, will be played as one (ie, he will hide away in castes, not enter combat, etc). Likewise, traits such as Grower will be used in building choices (ie, a Grower governor will prefer farm-related building choices over all others for the settlement).
    3. Game settings will always be Hard/Hard, with restricted camera view.
    4. I will forgo normal victory conditions and instead opt for historical victory conditions for each time period. Thus, I can only conquer provinces that were historically held during that time frame. I will allow myself to raid enemy settlements but cannot hold them.
    5. Since there were no centralized rule or kings of the Slavs during the time frame of the first game, I will play my settlements as being independent of one another. Each settlement will represent a seperate Slavic tribe, with its own family tree and family members. Each turn, I will determine the income generated by each settlement and keep a record from turn to turn of the total treasury of each settlement. Only monies from a particular recorded treasury can be spent on a given settlement. Likewise, armies from different settlements cannot merge into a single stack, but must remain sperate on the campaign map - though they can participate in battles together, arriving as reinforcements on the battlefield.

Changes to Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod

I have implemented several changes to Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod, as listed below. These changes were done to allow more historical play:

1. Instead of the normal six provinces that the Slavic factions begins with, I restricted it to only two settlements within Polish borders.
    2. I redesigned the Slavic units for the scenario, both with new stats, skins names and descriptions as detailed below:

{alan_noble_cavalry} Konnica Kagana
    {alan_noble_cavalry_descr}
    The Avars came onto the Danubian Plain in what is sometimes considered the second wave of nomads that would enter European via the Russian Steppe after Attila’s Huns came in the 5th century. The Avars were a powerful military force and in many ways very sophisticated militarily compared to their neighbours. Immediately they posed a threat to the Byzantine Empire, raiding across the Danube, even threatening Constantinople itself. All these military endeavours would not have been possible but for one key element in Avar warfare; the Slavs. The Avars that had occupied the Hungarian Plain came into proximity of the Slavic population already living there, and extensively used Slavonic warriors in its military operations, besieging cities and providing the infantry in the army. It became almost standard for Avar armies to be mainly composed of a Slavic infantry element, and there would even become a blend of nomad and settled Slav culture in the Avar realm. The Avars of course, being a nomadic people, would have provided the Slavs with their heavy cavalry on the battlefield. The king of the Avars, called the Khagan in Old Turkic, would have the finest of the Avar nobility at his disposal. Heavy riders armed in chain mail and lamellar, Avar nobility was in no ways poor, prosperous from the constant raids against Byzantium in the south, and even the Franks in the west.
    {alan_noble_cavalry_descr_short}
    Alan Noble Cavalry are among the heavyweights of the steppes: men who are trained to charge home into foes, breaking them through speed and shock. That said, they should not be thrown away in futile charges against spearmen.

{slav_cav_raiders} Konnica
    {slav_cav_raiders_descr}
    The question of the use of cavalry among the Slavs has always been one disputed among historians. The most numerous sources on Slavic warfare come to us from the Byzantines, describing the Slavic raiders that had been penetrating Greece from across the Danube. It can be accepted that by the 7th c. the use of the horse among the Slavs was widespread, and most definitely among the elite. Evidence for this is provided in the nature of raids into Byzantium, which would have been made much easier on horseback. In addition the proximity of nomadic peoples in the northern Balkans to the Slavs there would have made the use of horsemen more widespread, and it seems the Avar and Bulgar raiding parties included Slavic cavalry as well. The average Slavic horseman would have very little difference in armour and weaponry from his infantry counterpart. Weapons ranged from axes, maces, to clubs, and in later periods swords. Javelins would also have been used. Armour, in the common trend of early Slavs, was very limited. Round shields and the occasional helmet of the conical shape, often imported from Western Europe, and the ‘Polish Great helms’ sporting a tall point, common of the East and borrowed from Persia. Slavic horsemen also used spurs, something that set them apart from the nomads.
    {slav_cav_raiders_descr_short}
    Konnica are light cavalrymen, best able to harass and pursue enemies rather than charge home. They are also useful in driving off enemy skirmishers and missile troops.

{morav_cavalry} Konnica Druzina
    {morav_cavalry_descr}
    The early Slavs were NOT a horse culture, and favored light, unarmored infantry using ambush, and hit and run tactics. Only much later, after contact with other horse cultures like the Huns, Avars and Bulgars, did they start to adopt armored cavalry and armored infantry. The Venedi, however, had much more contact with the steppe peoples, and have adopted to the horse much earlier.\n\nVenedi cavalry fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour, more effective against the cold than against weapons. These Venede cavalry can fight well under most circumstances. They are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.
    {morav_cavalry_descr_short}
    Venedi cavalry fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

{druzhina_foot} Druzina
    {druzhina_foot_descr}
    The nature of early Slavic warfare can be characterized by this group of companions, synonymous in all of the modern Slavic tongues and tied to the tribal relationships of fealty that had preceded feudalism. The term Družina itself is rooted in the Proto-Slavic word for friend, drug?, still present among modern Slavs in some form. In an era before feudalism, the central factor to conducting warfare was a potentate’s personal bodyguard, his group of closest companions, the Družina. These men were tied to their overlord through bonds similar to those of the Germanic peoples, and were supplied all their equipment and land by their lord. In exchange, they served as a standing army for the prince, almost always mobilized, travelling with him from gord to gord, and ready for war.
    Being the finest warriors at the disposal of the knez, they are the military elite of Slavic society, and their armour and equipment is evident of this. Not until the 9th c. that armour and swords had become more widespread among the Slavs and till that time only the Druzinniks had disposal to such fine weaponry. The Družina system would finally meet its end with the advent of feudalism into Eastern Europe, which allowed for greater manpower to be called up in times of war. The former Družina warrior class would gradually become the landed knights of the High Middle Ages.
    {druzhina_foot_descr_short}
    The Druzina were the military elite of the Slavs. They became a detachment of select troops in personal service of a chieftain.

{steppe_spearmen_slav} Borcje
    {steppe_spearmen_slav_descr}
    The spear was another common weapon, cheap but effective nonetheless, and available to warriors of all classes. Sources also mention each warrior was armed with two javelins that are used aside from his main weapon. The typical Slav warrior-raider was absent of any armour aside from a round shield, in sources often noted for its shoddy quality. Some warriors are even described as wearing nothing but trousers into battle, with no tunics present. It was these lightly armed peoples that came out of the darkness of the Pripet areas and came to be known by the west as the Sclavi, Antes, and Wends. Their tactics involved the use of forest, ambush, and terrain to defeat foes of numerical and technological superiority, while early warfare was raid-based and large scale operations were uncommon till the later rise of powerful chieftains in the 7th and 8th centuries.
    {steppe_spearmen_slav_descr_short}
    Borcje are recruited from amongst the young and low-status members of a tribe. They are given a spear, a shield and a good lesson in obedience to their betters before being pushed into a battle line.

{venedi_infantry} Togi Voje
    {venedi_infantry_descr}
    The absence of armour was a common feature among the early Slavs. Not till later periods (9th c.) during which clan chiefs were consolidating their power do we see wider use of swords, helms, and chain mail. Even then only the wealthier strata of society would have the financial capacity for such equipment, but nonetheless it was no longer an uncommon site. These ‘heavy warriors’ would be the finest infantry at a knez’s disposal and their fierce Slavic warrior spirit combined with increased quality of armament makes them a deadly force on the battlefield. Heavier Slavic warriors of the later periods would still be armed with common weapons like axe and spear, but the sword was now coming into wider use as well. Round shields would still be the norm, and not till the 11th c. does the Norman kite shield come into use. Helmets would now also be much more commonly, the most widespread type in the west being the conical helmet, often imported from Francia and Germany, while oriental-style helmets were common in eastern Poland and the Rus’.
    {venedi_infantry_descr_short}
    Togi Voje fight with swords and shields but only with padded cloth and leather as armour. Still, they are certainly useful among a people who, at this point in time, are lacking in cavalry in general.

{slav_skirmishers} Voje
    {slav_skirmishers_descr}
    {slav_skirmishers_descr_short}
    These men employ both axe and javelin first to severely weaken the enemy, then to run them to ground with a devastating assault.

{slav_west_raiders} Zochodni Voje
    {slav_west_raiders_descr}
    {slav_west_raiders_descr_short}
    Armed with the Slavic axe and javelins, these warriors fight on foot with a simple wooden shield but no armor. They are quite useful to break an enemy's battle line.

{east_slav_raider} Lekki Voje
    {east_slav_raider_descr}
    These light skirmishers employ hit and run tactics, relying on speed to get out of harm's way rather than brute force.\n\nThese units are nothing more than to harrass enemies and thin their ranks with missile volleys before the main battle is joined and sometimes as a raiding parties looking to create the element of surprise by striking and leaving quickly. They are a reluctant standard unit, but being slavs they are expert in 'guerilla' type warfare. They are capable of fighting hand-to-hand, but this is not their strength and against anyone other than other skirmishers they will suffer disproportionate casualties.\n\nThey carry little war gear other than their weapons, giving them their speed over rough terrain.
    {east_slav_raider_descr_short}
    Skirmishers are best employed to harrass enemies and thin their ranks with missile volleys before the main battle is joined.

I have to thank Riothamus and Squid for their assistance in making these changes to my games.

I should begin my first game tonight and hope to have my first AAR post in a day or so. Until then....
    Brilliant additions and changes Brucha. I am looking forward

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Brilliant additions and changes Brucha. I am looking forward
    Thank you, Riothamus, I hope everyone will enjoy the AAR's. I also made a new sig banner to link it back here so others can read as well. I have not completed all the new skins but I am starting the game before they are finished, since I don't expect any battle in the first few years. I can add them to the game as I complete them.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Looking forward to this as well. +rep!

578-888 AD mod will be hard to find cause they call it Dark Ages for no reason but indeed an interesting time period for the Slavs. There was Samo's empire after expulsion of Avars, Bulgars pushed into thrace and were becoming slavinized, Serbs and Croats in balkans and dalmatia and of course Moravian Principality and not to mention other powers in the neighborhood. I would definitely like to see the game if ever done.
    Gesta Principum Polonorum would be my favorite though as u have first stable slavic countries being established starting with Moravians and later czechs, kindom of poland, principality of kiev, bulgaria and even pagan obodrite and wiltzi confederations.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

I made a mistake in explaining my victory conditions for each scenario, and I made corrections in my first post, under House Rules. It should have read:

4. I will forgo normal victory conditions and instead opt to only conquer those settlements that I control in the following game. For instance, in the Dark Ages Sicilian Vepsers mod, Poland begins with only two settlements, Krakow and Halych. These two cities roughly match the settlements of Campus Venedae and Campus Borusci in Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod, thus I cannot conquer any other settlements during this game. I will allow myself to raid enemy settlements but cannot hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militae Flavius Aetius View Post
    Looking forward to this as well. +rep!
    Thank you, I hope everyone enjoys it. I have already completed two years in the game and will begin the initial write-ups for a first post. I have decided on a period historian-approach for a writing style since I lack the talent (and schooling) as a fiction writer and better suited as a historian (which is my educated field of study). My one fear of being able to complete each game without being wiped out are the restrictions of conquest - with a maxiumum of only two settlements, I could very well be wiped out, especially if a single AI faction becomes massive. I thought of using only Medium difficulty, but I enjoy battles at Hard since, at that setting, battles tend to last longer before AI units begin to rout. With only two settlements, I will only be able to field so many troops, so every battle that I fight will be crucial.

One problem with raiding settlements in this mod is that I found that if I capture a settlement I cannot abandon it. My only choice is to vacate it and let the settlement rebel. However, in playtesting, these rebelling settlements usually become part of an AI faction (non-rebel) with a large spawned army and I find myself at war with that faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Vegetius Renatus View Post
    578-888 AD mod will be hard to find cause they call it Dark Ages for no reason but indeed an interesting time period for the Slavs. There was Samo's empire after expulsion of Avars, Bulgars pushed into thrace and were becoming slavinized, Serbs and Croats in balkans and dalmatia and of course Moravian Principality and not to mention other powers in the neighborhood. I would definitely like to see the game if ever done.
    Gesta Principum Polonorum would be my favorite though as u have first stable slavic countries being established starting with Moravians and later czechs, kindom of poland, principality of kiev, bulgaria and even pagan obodrite and wiltzi confederations.
    I fully disagree - there is a growing body of archaeological evidence being discovered to refute the age-old belief of the dark ages and the concept of Europe and Britain sliding into barbaric dark times of lawlessness. There are studies being conducted right now in Poland (and other countries) concerning the early so-called proto-Slavic tribes of eastern Europe and their existance before, during, and after the Hunnic invasions of Europe. The evidence thus far has been from Roman, Greek and Byzantine sources, though I am very hesitant to accept these sources simply for the fact that they do not mention Slavs in the Poland region during the time frame is not evidence enough to rule out the existance of Slavic tribes in the region.

The Huns, for example, simply did not have the numbers, in regards to population, to push out and replace all existing tribes or peoples. Certainly, some peoples were displaced during the Hun invasions (the Great Migration period of Europe), but evidence is mounting that some people, like the early Slavic tribes, remained in their ancestral homes under the Hunnic rule.

In as far as this is the incorrect place to outline my agrument for this hypothesis, suffice to say, history has always been written by the victors and the Victorian-era concept of the Dark Ages is slowly being erroded away. Perhaps one day I need to start a thread in the Scriptorium about this....

U missed my point there friend. When i said dark ages i meant it as a metaphor in relation to your inability to find a comparable mod for that particular period, more like saying its like a black hole in modding as u mostly see mods go from B.C to 600 A.D and there is a blank and then from 1000 A.D. or so till 18th century. I fully agree with u as far as historical evidence showing Dark ages were just a period war and lawlessness as there is plenty evidence that states otherwise but i think we would be getting to much into this topic. anyway, good luck and last question, why u have the Jagiellon dynasty placed in 1212-1401? Havent the dynasty started just just before battle of Tannenberg in 1410.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Looking forward to this with much anticipation!

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Chapter 1 : Travels of Laonicus

Laonicus' Account of the Venedic Peoples
    O the most excellent lord of the True Romans, by the grace of Emperor Theodosius II, from Laonicus, greetings. It is written by Augustine of Hippo: "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page". This, my Lord, I have taken to heart. As you commanded when I took my leave of you that I should write whatever I should see among the mysterious Venedic Peoples.
    Be it known then to your Lordship, that in the year four thirty-four, on the eve of January, I entered the northern lands of the Langobardi and arrived then in Campus Horvati, having been preceded by certain merchants of Constantinople who said that envoys from the Roman Emperor were coming who wished to go onwards into the Venedic lands to the north. The Langobardi were admonished by our plans and spoke at length of the forest ghosts that dwelt in the lands of the Venedic Peoples, of strange naked peoples roaming the dark forests devoid of neither house nor home. And yet the Langobardi received us favorably, and gave us lodging in their town.
    Then they gave us aid in our journey, saying with winter breaking and spring on the horizon, that we should discard our carts for sumpter horses. It was told that the Venedic lands to the north became a vast sea of mud and deluge in the spring thaws and that cart and oxen would become mired in the wilderness. This advice and aid I accepted, yet drew no conclusions to the strange tales of forest spirits the Langobardi spoke so readily of.
    I had brought with me from Constantinople, fruits, muscadel wine and dainty biscuits, as well as goods of gold and silver to present to the captains of the Venedic, so that my entry into their lands might be made easier, for among them no one is said to be looked upon in a proper way who comes with empty hands. All this I packed on the horses and set out north on the 5th of January with our seven sumpter horses and five more horses to ride, for us fiver persons, myself, and my companion Apasios, and Genesios the bearer of the presents, and Ktenas of Athens the dragoman, and the boy Leo, my pupil and student. The Langobardi also supplied us with two men to act as guides and to look after the horses and camp.
    Beyond the mountainous lands of the Langobardi, we came to a most beautiful forest full of springs and rivelts, and beyond this is a mighty plain which stretches out for many days all the way to the Baltic Sea. In this plain once dwelt the terrible Huns but they have now all gone far eastwards whence they came from.

But when the Huns departed such a multitude of Venedic entered the lands from the east and north. And our Langobardi guides spoke of how the Venedic ate one another, the living and the dying, and made no homes but lived in the forest like wolves. Such was the impression of a barbarous people as the Langobardi to speak of other barbarians, though their fear of the Venedic was apparent in them and I paid no heed to the wild stories.
    After having left Campus Horvati we came on the tenth day across the first Venedic settlement on our journey and when I found myself among them it seemed to me of a truth that I had been transported into another century of Caesar and of Gaul. I will describe to you as well as I can their mode of living and manners. And it was good for us to bring the Langobardi guides, having no concept of the barbarous language of the Venedic and spoke with them in the language of the Goths, which is Teutonic.
    The hamlet was but a collection of a few homes gathered in mutual protection of several small families and was no more than a small, unprotected village populated by only a few dozen residents. The homes themselves were supported by beams, with walls made of beams, and finished with clay and painted. Fields about the village were being used for crop cultivations, and then pastures of livestock. At once it was evident that they were a strong, sturdy race of men, predominantly agricultural. They called themselves Polanie, or inhabitants of the plains of fields, whereas "pole" in their language meant field.
    In their own words, the Venedic described of them as being scattered in large clans, bound by tied of blood and family. The lands of each tribe were held in common, with work done in common under the direction of the "starosta", an elder or patriarch of the tribe. Important matters were decided by a popular assembly called "wiec" to which belonged all the adult males of the community. As is common among the barbarians an individual did not exist outside his tribe and their solidarity was the basis mutual protection, for to injure one member of the tribe was an injury to the whole. Slavery was also present; those they were mainly recruited chiefly among the prisoners of war, but some were bought.
    For three days we dwelt with the Venedic in their village. And they brought us cooked meats. We drank our wine with them and shared a basket full of biscuits; and they gave the eight of us a goat for the journey northwards. So having changed horses in the village we set out north to visit Campus Venedae, home to the local starosta of the region.
    Much different was Campus Venedae to the village we left behind four days ago. Indeed, Campus Venedae was more than a village. The town, as indeed it can be claimed as such, was surrounded by a wooden palisade, and guarded by stout gates to either end. Dirt roads intersected over a wide area within the walls, to which could such be found in any small town of the Empire. Here or there were smallish smithies working large quantities of iron from locally available turf ores. Ceramic shops and pottery wheels gave credence to a lively trade among the Venedic, not only with themselves, but with other tribes to the north and west, but especially to the south with the Langobardi. Indeed, nowhere could we see evidence of the so-called spirits of the woodlands as described to us by the Langobardi. Here were no blood-thirsty peoples but that of a more agricultural center.
    We were brought to a richly decorated hall, one fit for a leader strong in war and wise in peace. Our arrival had preceded us and the local starosta and wiec were there to greet us in warm fashion. Then we were led into the great hall and yet we were not required to make any reverence, as would be accustomed of envoys in the presence of lords. The strarosta was seated not on any throne or kingly chair, but at the head of a long table. Men were seated about the table to either side of him. The table was decorated with cups of wood, gold and silver and platters of food aplenty. Then the starosta bid me to speak through our Langobardi interpreters, and I began my introductions of my party and to the nature and purpose of our journey. And to this the straosta, whom they called Radzim, listened attentively. Thne he caused me to stop and he made us sit down, and had cups of drinks offered up to us. While seated next to him at the head of the table, he bid me to remain in his house with him as his guests; to this I readily accepted, sensing the opportunity to further explore these otherwise unknown peoples.
    During out conversations over drink and food, I was able to gleam a better understanding of this man, Radzim. As starosta, Radzim was considered the head of all things military among his tribe, and was expected to lead his men into battle as need arose. Certainly, tales spoken around the table inferred to his competence in warfare, but equally praised was his simple nature as a farmer, his understandings (such as they were among the Venedic) of legal matters and bureaucracy and of his even-handedness in his dealings.

In all, my companions and I were treated as lordly dignitaries among the Venedic, and were warmly greeted by all whom we encountered. All told, we spent the remainder of the spring among Radzim and his people, learning all we could and even learning some of their language meanwhile. Indeed, Radzim took us at our word and bade us to accompany his man, named Starchomir, in a few weeks back to Campus Horvati on what was described as a diplomatic mission between rival barbarium tribes before returning to his hearth henceforth. It was explained to us that, despite the harsh verbal treatment done to them by the Langobardi, the two peoples shared much in the way to trade and support. Indeed, it was explained that Radzim’s negotiator, Starchomir, was travelling to Campus Horvati to cement a sort of treaty between the Langobardi and Venedic.

Of the negotiations, I will not bore your Majesty with the endless series of drink and food and boast that seemed to accompany the proceedings. Certainly, with the Venedic present, the Langobardi did not portray them as such they did in our first encounter, and more treated them as mutually equal allies of sorts. Much of the negotiations were little more than feasts and drinking, yet all the while the reasons for the visit were never entirely forgotten by either. In the end, the Venedic man, Starchomir, presented the Langobardic captains with a gilded horn and sword, to which was explained to us represented the undying loyalty and friendship between the two peoples. In return, the Langobardi gave up a fine set of stallions for Radzim’s herd. Finally, the negotiations ended with more of promises of uncompromising friendship and assistance.

To us,upon our return, Radzim and the wiec of Campus Venedae again put forth all niceties befitting envoys and we were given free passage through the Venedic lands as we saw fit. Indeed, we were fortunate to be present to an auspicious occasion and witnessed the marriage of Radzim to his wife that May after returning from the negotiations with the Langobardi. His bride, a young girl, about 16 years of age, was named Ramis, and was from a family of no small respect among the other families, which certainly elevated Radzim’s position as starosta among his people.

In all, my companions and I spent the rest of the year among Radzim and his generous people. Towards the end of winter, Radzim sent word to his fellow-starosta of Campus Borusci to the north of our presence and of our desire to journey there. It was explained of our intentions and of our peaceful nature, and Radzim even went as far as to beg for our safe passage from Gorzyslav.
    And so, on the 2nd of December, we set out from Campus Venedae northwards, accompanied by a few of Radzim’s men as guides. As was promised, we were welcomed by the local starosta, Gorzyslav, with friendly and open arms. Though both shared a position equal among their tribes, Gorzyslav was an opposite of Radzim. Whereas Radzim seemed as at home working a plow, Gorzyslav was a true born warrior. Everywhere he went, Gorzyslav went armed for war, even for our first encounter with my men and I. It was as if this man had no other interests in anything but war. Despite this rough exterior, the starosta greeted us with utmost respect and civility and welcomed us with open arms, as did Radzim.

However, our stay in Campus Borusci was cut short by events that early summer. After being in Campus Borsci for only a couple of weeks, we were hastily summoned to Gorzyslav’s hall. There we found his camp in a state of armed warfare. A small army of neighboring Venedae, the Abotritii, to the west, had been reported having crossed the Vistule River. A muster of the Boruscii warriors was underway and it was soon explained to us that Gorzyslav meant to gather his men and meet this threat right away and we gladly accepted the offer to ride with the starosta and his men.

As he gathered his warriors, Gorzyslav sent ahead scouts to shadow the Abotritii as they advanced. Within two days the great muster was complete and the host departed, leaving the town empty and unguarded, for it was Gorzyslav’s intention of eradicating the invading force before it could reach the settlement.
    Battle of the Crossroads
    After a few days march the opposing forces met on the battlefield at the site of the crossroads under a light rainstorm. Gorzyslav arrayed his men in a tight battle line, with his heavier Voje in front, supported by javelin-armed Lekki Voje behind them and his spear-armed Borcje on the flank. In the rear were Gorzyslav and his cavalry, to whom we had ridden with. As for the Abotritii, they chose a simple formation by placing their Borcje in a tight shield-wall formation with a large group of axe men to the rear.

As the rain from overhead turned into a torrential downpour, Gorzyslav first ordered his Lekki Voje forwards through the tight formation of Voje to pepper the enemy shield wall with waves of javelins. Wave after wave of javelins were hurled into the stoic enemy ranks but with only little loss (the Lekki Voje expended their javelin ammo and managed to only cause 25 casualties out of a unit of 240 men).

Their javelins now expended the lighter Lekki Voje were now retired to the rear and Gorzyslav ordered his Voje forward. Here now, the enemy had a surprise to unleash and, as the Voje moved forward, there arose from the tall grass ranks of Abotritii Voje to the rear of the shield wall. The two sides hurled volleys of javelins under the thunderous warcries of the opposing Voje. Seemingly unconcerned to the clouds of hurled javelins falling all around them, Gorzyslav’s Voje whipped themselves into a frenzy as they mashed their shields and screamed into the stormy air before launching themselves in a full charge into the waiting shield wall.

Not to be undone, Gorzyslav had a surprise of his own; as his Voje crashed into the enemy shield wall, his Brocje had formed on the flank of the shield wall. As the battled raged all along the shield wall, Gorzyslav gave the order, sending the spearmen into the Abotritii unprotected flank with devastating effect. Outnumbered and attacked from three sides, the shield wall slowly gave ground on all sides before collapsing completely in a headlong rout.

Swiftly, Gorzyslav ordered not a pursuit but rather a re-forming of his line, and swiftly. As the enemy Borcje fled back through the ranks of their companions, the Boruscii Voje had re-formed their battle lines. Following an exchange of javelins, the two forces charged one another like two stubborn rutting rams. Again, Gorzslav swung his Borcje round the enemy flank to fall on their flanks, and again the enemy was ground down from three sides before they too waved and broke, fleeing in terror.
    As swift as before, Gorzyslav’s men re-formed their lines to face the enemy general, Niestoj and his personal bodyguard, the only enemy to remain now on the battlefield. As Gorzyslav’s men gather for one more determined charge, the rainclouds overhead parted, revealing clear blue skies, as if a portent to victory from the pagan gods themselves.
    Following a volley of hurled javelins, the Voje threw themselves into the Abotritii axemen with ferocity as the Borcje pierced their flank as before. As his men did thus, Gorzyslav himself led his horsemen round the entire line to charge headlong into the enemy’s rear. Alone and with no other friends on the field, the Abotritii axe men soon gave way under such pressure and the entire contingency remaining was put to flight.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

First I must say sorry to all for the long delay on mt first AAR post. A combination of a cold and mistakes I needed to correct in the game prevented me from starting. Or rather, I did start, then noticed several things I needed to remove to play. For instance, initially the Slav faction had six settlements and some eight or so characters - I reduced the settlements to only two but did not reduce my family members - I soon found my economy evaporating as the males came of age (due to the upkeep of their bodyguards). Sort of a combination of things I did not see right away needed to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Vegetius Renatus View Post
    U missed my point there friend. When i said dark ages i meant it as a metaphor in relation to your inability to find a comparable mod for that particular period, more like saying its like a black hole in modding as u mostly see mods go from B.C to 600 A.D and there is a blank and then from 1000 A.D. or so till 18th century. I fully agree with u as far as historical evidence showing Dark ages were just a period war and lawlessness as there is plenty evidence that states otherwise but i think we would be getting to much into this topic. anyway, good luck and last question, why u have the Jagiellon dynasty placed in 1212-1401? Havent the dynasty started just just before battle of Tannenberg in 1410.
    I am sorry about not understanding your post - I stand corrected. About the title for the 1212-1401 AAR, indeed that is a mistake. I initially planned on five AAR's but dropped the Late Sicilian Vespers campaign game since I could fit it with the rest as far as the time line, but did not make a correction of its title. Now it fixed. Thank you for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Looking forward to this with much anticipation!
    Read and enjoy the first post! All in allm not a bad start - I did take more losses in the battle than I had wished to. That shield wall plus getting hit by volleys of javelins tore into my front-line troops. Plus fighting on Hard makes battles last a bit longer with the extra morale for the AI, so it took a while to wear the AI down before it would rout. Even considering I was fighting each unti with three of my own - and flanking them! Definitely different than fighting with my trusty Roman legions against barbarians!
    Last edited by Brucha; October 27, 2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: add-on

Very interesting Brucha. Love the tales and background..

I also prefer to fight battles on hard and no less for the bonuses they get sort of balances out what the AI lack in humane ingenuity

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Very interesting Brucha. Love the tales and background..

I also prefer to fight battles on hard and no less for the bonuses they get sort of balances out what the AI lack in humane ingenuity
    Thank you, Riothamus. I actually thought of fighting the battles on VH but even I am not that so sadistic. Nonetheless, with the restrictions I have placed for the AAR, it will be very tough indeed simply to survive to the end of it. I want to sack the rebel town that just attacked me; however, I am concerned about having it rioting and then spawning a huge AI army after I loot and subsequently vacate it. The couple of thousand of gold is sorely needed now that I get trade income from the surrounding rebel settlements.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Good job! - It was very vivid and descriptive.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Good job! - It was very vivid and descriptive.
    Ah, thank you very much for the praise, Magister Militae Flavius Aetius! I am glad it was worth the wait. I have completed another series of turns and am working on the write-up right away.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

sounds good. Looking forward to it! :

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I would reccomendages of darkness II for a slav campaign in the 500s and 600s when they were at their height.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Very interesting congrat (+rep)

very interesting, can't wait to read the next part. (+ rep) (your going to have oodles of rep before this is over lol)

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I would reccomendages of darkness II for a slav campaign in the 500s and 600s when they were at their height.
    I am afraid that Slavs are not going to be include in AoD II as playlable fraction

Brucha's Avatar Civis

I must apologize to everyone for my long absence from the forum and particularly my AAR story. Due to illness, I gave up playing for a time but I am now back to the ready and am prepared to continue the game. Hopefully, there will still be interest in following the AAR. Thankfully, I left everything in place on my computer, and did not erase my files nor the saved game! I am about to sit down and continue playing from whence I left off following the rebel attack at The Battle of the Crossroads. Hopefully, I should have another AAR post in a day or so.

Again, I profusely apologize to everyone, especially to Riothamus for not deleting the thread so that I may continue on from here with the AAR.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast