Thread: Important dates in MTW (1) - it'll all be over before anything changes

Default Important dates in MTW (1) - it'll all be over before anything changes

I'm playing my first campaign in MTW, and I'm playing as the English. Unfortunately I set the difficulty level to Normal (it seemed the, er, normal thing to do), and it's looking like the game will be over before any significant dates pass.

I wrote the dates down from one of the stickies herem and the first interesting date was the invention of the compass, in 1170. Well I've got Dockyards in several ports, and it's just turned 1170, so I'm ready to build a shipbuilders guild - or so I thought. I can't, and reading on line it seems I have to wait for 1260, when gunpowder will be discovered. Is that correct? It seems a bit strange (and very annoying that the game leads you to believe otherwise.

So planning my port provinces and building all the dockyards was a waste of time, as this game isn't going to last until 1260. In fact, I don't suppose it'll get far past 1205, which is a shame, as I'm stuck with the original units.

Thanks

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Important dates in MTW (1) - it'll all be over before anything changes

Hi Trig, was there a problem in there somewhere in your post…?

Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
    I can't, and reading on line it seems I have to wait for 1260, when gunpowder will be discovered. Is that correct?
    Yes… As far as the original game goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
    So planning my port provinces and building all the dockyards was a waste of time, as this game isn't going to last until 1260. In fact, I don't suppose it'll get far past 1205, which is a shame, as I'm stuck with the original units.
    As I understand you here, I get the impression that overall difficulty and challenge is an issue for you (this was your problem then?). On that note; raw MTW might very well be the easiest version of MTW you can play (I think so anyhow)... Short of increasing the difficulty, there is little to done with raw MTW other then possibly decrease unit size to default (higher sizes makes it successively easier in battles. Max/Huge is will create the easiest game of them all, tactically speaking). If overall challenge is a big factor for you; try a mod – they usually make the game a bit harder.

The way I see it… Both BKB Supmod and XL (original*) generate a game somewhat harder then the original, while Redux and Medmod are basically for players that prefer much tougher and harder circumstances on general terms. Some people like that, whilst others don’t – each to their own. I don’t know which of the latter two is supposedly “considered” to be the toughest; personally I would say Redux – although I am partial (even if I do try to be fair). Out of the few people that have tried all four - there might be folks that say Medmod – it is still “undecided” I guess. Essentially, people do have alternatives here in sheer terms of challenge. As for major - non-medieval themed - mods like NTW, SW or HTW among others – I know little...

Thus… If I did understand you correctly here, I do suggest that you try a mod (or two) instead.

* The Tyberius XL-expansion V2.2 creates an easier game then original XL due to different designs. The additional
    trade and goods for instance generates more florins and favorable terms to the player then standard XL V3.0. Etc.etc.

- Cheers