Thread: Can October 25th be considered the death day of types of warfare?

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Can October 25th be considered the death day of types of warfare?

The title is long, but I didn't know how else to phrase it.
    Today's date, October 25th, has experienced the death of many major types of warfare throughout the past. Today is St. Crispin's day, better known as the day Agincourt took place (Death of Chivalry)
    Also in the Crimean War, today marks the anniversary of the Charge of the Light Brigade (Cavalry was still used afterwards, but that charge signified the fact that cavalry really was't good at what it once was and was relegated to scouting for the most part, I cannot think of, off the top of my head, another cavalry charge like the likes of Balaclava)
    Also, today marks the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle and history, and also the last one in which Large battleships were used, bringing an end to "the bigger the better" ship building philosophy.

Now my question is: do you agree?
    Last edited by 'Gunny; October 25, 2010 at 04:09 PM.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Default Re: Can October 25th be considered the death day of types of warfare?

Today's date, October 25th, has experienced the death of many major types of warfare throughout the past. Today is St. Crispin's day, better known as the day Agincourt took place (Death of Chivalry)
    Not really. The French defeat at Agincourt comes down to their own impetuousness and the poor weather conditions. Henry V utilised his advantages as well as he could and came out on top.

Also in the Crimean War, today marks the anniversary of the Charge of the Light Brigade (Cavalry was still used afterwards, but that charge signified the fact that caavalry really was't good at what it once was and was relegated to scouting for the most part)
    Actually cavalry was used long after it. The British had planned to use cavalry at the Battle of the Somme in 1915 to exploit the breakthroughs they were hoping to achieve and they made use of them in their campaign in the Levant against the Ottoman Empire too.

Also, today marks the battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle and history, and also the last one in which Large battleships were used, bringing an end to "the bigger the better" ship building philosophy.
    To be honest, the whole battleship philosophy was put in jeopardy during even World War I. With the advent of submarines they could be just as easily sunk as any other ship and after the war Britain's navy became mostly obsolete (Dreadnoughts) so in World War 2 they handed over control of a number of Caribbean bases to the US in return for lots of old ships.

So to conclude, no I don't agree.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

In World War I, I thought the Australians made a very impressive cavalry charge on an Ottoman position under heavy rifle and artillery fire. I believe they made a film about it, too. I just can't bother looking.

Indefinitely Banned

simple answer?
    tis a feast day for the Blood God Khorne

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Everyday is the feast for Blood God!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Everyday is the feast for Blood God!!!
    have you sacrificed to the Blood God yet?
    i hear the Skull Throne needs fresh skulls and you're behind in your quota, hellheaven

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    have you sacrificed to the Blood God yet?
    i hear the Skull Throne needs fresh skulls and you're behind in your quota, hellheaven
    That is why I ask you something about dogs in other thread; apartly Khorne is not specist and it can accept any skull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    That is why I ask you something about dogs in other thread; apartly Khorne is not specist and it can accept any skull.
    i dunno man, Khorne may not like sitting on a dog's head after a while; i hear Tyranid Tyrant skulls are pretty good though, if you seek his favour and his mutations then y'd best head off to the next Hive Fleet