Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Solving problems with Steam, Vista or Windows 7

Elendil232's Avatar Shashu

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by NoMercy88 View Post
    Ok after an eternity of work, many lives lost and clones created in the procsess, global warming happening and destroying the moon, and monkeys becoming the dominating race on the planet, while hurtling towards the sun I give you to you to make SS 6.3 work.

Give all the rep you possibly can to EXAS for figuring out the solution, which was really obvious, since I hadn't palyed m2tw I even forgot the aprt of thsi workaorund, chaning the command line you put in the steam settings /facepalm, seriously even if it kills you, give tons of rep to MEXAS, so here it is, my original fix with Mexas' amazing work that somehow I didn't realsie I had to do:

Try...

1. In the m2tw folder you should see 3 exes. "m2.exe", "kingdoms.exe" and "launcher.exe"
    2. Create a folder called "backup" and place the "launcher.exe" in that
    3. Rename the "kingdoms.exe" to "launcher.exe"
    4. Now go to your "Steam Games" list and right click kingdoms, select "properties" and then "set launch options"
    5. In the box that appears paste the bit you copied(in SS 6.3 case it will be @mods\SS6.3\default.cfg)
    6. As long as you always launch from kingdoms in steam and not the SS 6.3 shortcut it should work.

To play vanilla kingdoms again take away the launch line and rename "launcher.exe" back to "kingdoms.exe" and put the "launcher.exe" back in the main folder.

+rep to norsca for original fix.

+2x more rep gain to MEXAS for being so amazingly awesome =P

EDIT: News just in, apparently you don't get the full 6.3 experience by bypassing the ss6.3 exe, but untill I get it installed and tinekr with it the above will ahve to be a temporary workaround.
    EDIT 2: Gord says because the cfg file references the BAI swapper, its fine, but need someone who knows this stuff to confirm

Kind Regards
    Will
    wouldnt renaming say the crusades folder something different and then renaming the ss folder to crusades allow you to play the mod by clicking on crusades in the normal kingdoms launch folder? third age total war mod does it this way and it activates the .bat file and runs as intended with all features or does something happen when launching SS that steam has an issue with that normally wouldnt be present on a non-steam kingdoms?

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Default Re: Solving problems with Steam, Vista or Windows 7

Still need someone with steam med2+kingdoms to help me.

Mr. Bean Laden's Avatar Yari-hei

Help me someone pls! I installed SS 6.0 and all it's updates (6.1;6.2), but when I launch it it says "Medieval 2 Total War encountered an unspecified error, and now will close"

I use Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate, my Med 2 is NON-Steam, I bought the game a long time ago, can somebody help me?

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Mr Bean Laden,

Did you disable your UAC, when you installed SS? If you did not, you need too.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Sorry, I don't really know what's "UAC" :S (I'm not good with english shortened things)

If you are using Vista/Windows 7 you need to disable the User Access Control, when you install a mod such as SS

Uh, I know it's lame from me, but I'm really new to Windows 7, so, can you tell me where can I disable this? :S

On your Start Menu do you have 'Getting Started', then select 'Change UAC Settings'

Munifex

Hey everyone, sorry this is ask alot in this forum but I really need help with SS6.3.

I try switching the launchers, but the only error I get is "Medieval 2 suffered a fatal error and will now exit".

Not sure what I did wrong.

Please help me out with step by step instructions or with suggestions, I really want to play this.

BTW, great work with the mod, it looks great.

Murakawa

Hi folks.

I have the Gold version of M2TW/Kingdoms. Everything is patched up, UAC is off, etc. Stainless Steel 6.3 is installed, but when I try to launch it I get a "wrong disc inserted" error. This seems to be related to the fact that the Kingdoms launcher requires an original Kingdoms disc to launch, but neither Disc 1 or Disc 2 of the Gold Edition are actually a Kingdoms disc.

Is there a workaround for this?

Ishiyumi no shashu

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Mr Bean Laden,

Did you disable your UAC, when you installed SS? If you did not, you need too.

SO UAC needs to be at the lowest level before installing? It isn't enough to change it after you install? Perhaps that's why my game still won't load after changing everything from Read Only and lowering my UAC settings...I tried to uninstall 6.3, although it doesn't seem like it was a clean uninstall, and now I'm going through the whole process of Read Only, UAC settings again (although those don't seem to have changed) and then I'll reinstall for like a 4th time.

Default Can't get game to work with Steam

I can get SS 6.3 to boot and to the load campaign map but it crashes on sieges.

Anybody else having this issue?

Thank you for any help!

Cheers,

CW
    Last edited by Cornelius Scipio Africanus; January 16, 2011 at 03:50 AM.

misterbull's Avatar Shashu

Quote Originally Posted by gracul View Post
    Still need someone with steam med2+kingdoms to help me.
    Do you still need help? I just purchased the Steam version after I discovered that my first disk is corrupted and fixing it at a professional store would cost the same as the purchase at Steam.

Aoba

Hey guys

When I try to start a battle/campaign in 6.4, it just skips back to the menu, without starting the load screen.
    I'm using windows 7.

I can run 6.3 perfectly fine, but this won't start.

Help appreciated

L0N3W07F's Avatar Ashigaru

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    If you are using Vista/Windows 7 you need to disable the User Access Control, when you install a mod such as SS
    Is there a thread specifically on this? I am looking for more information about it. For example, what exactly the UAC is for, how safe or unsafe it is to disable it, what I would need to know to do from now on if I do disable it, what implications that would have for programs already installed in my Program Files, etc.

L0N3W07F's Avatar Ashigaru

I could have sworn I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it now.
    Last edited by L0N3W07F; January 18, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

newt's Avatar Sagittarius

google it

Giuliano Taverna's Avatar Hastatas Posterior

Ok I followed the Steam instructions for ver 6.3 and up, and I got an exclamation point followed by a crash right after the vanilla M2TW screen appeared momentarily.

I'm using window's 7, I've recently redownloaded M2TW on steam, yes I've had other mods in the past, (before deleting local files and redownloading) yes it is possible this is a cache issue like the one I just fixed on my ETW game... because Steam is a and hates mods, but I haven't a clue what folder to look for to delete if that is in fact the case... help?

I submit myself to the sympathy of all those that might be able to answer this, I've been in calculus and biolab since 9 am this morning, my head hurts, and I want to kill things to ease the pain... with catapults.
    Last edited by Giuliano Taverna; January 25, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

familyguy1's Avatar Princeps

Still need proper steam installation instructions. I installed 6.3 like I normally would(rename it as one of the original Kingdoms folders(america, crusades, etc) and then 6.4 and then tried to play, but it would not work.

Munifex

Quote Originally Posted by familyguy1 View Post
    Still need proper steam installation instructions. I installed 6.3 like I normally would(rename it as one of the original Kingdoms folders(america, crusades, etc) and then 6.4 and then tried to play, but it would not work.
    Yeah a fix would be nice
    I myself get into the game but whenever I try to start a campaign it pops back the the SP screen without any error

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information