Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own formations

Default Bloodmod for rome total realism 6.3

Dear People,

aim trying to get blood in Rome total war. So I started woking on it. it was possible with sayer777 mod but this 1 doesn’t work on Rome total realism 6.3 . aim trying to get this mod in my Rome total realism data. it is hard to do this because you must concentrate must on the littlest things. and it is working now. but there are a few bugs in it. please help me feel free to contact me jordy_dijkstra@hotmail.com

Yours faithfully,

Darklord

ok i added a bloodpatch voor rome total realism 6.3 and it is great. but i cant upload it , well that sucks. anyone who would like to have this patch mail me on sjoerd_kempenaar@hotmail.com.

Laetus
    Norway...we are too rich to get hit by natural disasters.

Here is the current and most simple brilliance formations a Brutii General may have for assailing Greeks.

Wardogs = WD 4x
    hastati = H 2x
    General = G 1x

Here goes:_WD_WD_WD_WD_ single line formation, send two squads per one formation of a fullbodied phalanx (Even Spartans cant fight back)
    ______H_H_______
    G1---------------------G2 Depending on where you have the best geographic advantage.

Now the obvious interpretation of tackling the cavalry(enemy viewpoint) would be to assail the corner the General is guarding. Yet this is why the hastati are too be set into guard position and the dogs are deployed as soon as possible. Once the dogs are released just call back the men, whilst simultaneously venturing forth your hastati. Note, make a definitely distinguishable gap between the hastati as the enemy might be inticed into sending a spearheaded formation inbetween your infantry. As the formation for the hastati is completed the wardogs should be ordered to a single location. Do not order them as a controlled unit by all four, give them individual orders for one spot.

When the dogs have "munchies" and enjoy tasty hoplites, make your general trot behind the unit with the closest remaining stats of say 100-120 hoplites remaining. Then simply before he finishes his orders, sound the warhorn and charge in. I dont know whether this boosts morality, but it sure makes the soldiers shout enthusiasticly before knocking the heads of hoplites together.

In the case of which the greeks present archers, you must constantly keep the general as your bait. the infantry troops of the enemy will be too busy with the wardogs to be able to aid the archers when you order the general to ambush them.

I use this during sieges:

()()()()()----------[][][][][][][][][][]----[][][][][][][][][][]-----------()()()()()
    ()()()()()----------[][][][][][][][][][]----[][][][][][][][][][]-----------()()()()()
    -----------------------[]----[]--------------[]-----[]------------------------

[] = Any Infantry Legions
    [] = Onagers
    () = Calvary inlcuding General

I would include spearmen on the sides along with the infantry and I would put lighter infantry in the back and heavier in the front. If I had auxillia I would put them in the front and harrass soldiers behind the wooden wall. Archers would probably go in the front as well in a siege because they do lots of damage and are not really valuable. Usually I dont use them though.
    Last edited by Acamas; January 01, 2006 at 10:44 PM.

Default my strategy

wat i simply do is collect all my melee cavalary and seperate the army with the infantry and charge with the cavalry piece by piece and i get victory .

the post keeps screwing up when i do it so go here to view ithttp://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...=0#entry147546

Default wow man

wow dude thats a nice strategy formation.. but im not sure if its unbeatable.

well its never failed me yet and iv'e used it lots of times

Here's a pretty good formation I've just started using against Carthage

--------Hastati - Hastati - Hastati - Hastati - Hastati----------
    --------Principes - - Principes - - Prinicipes - - Principes-------
    Triarii----- ----Velites ----- ----- Velites --------------Triarii
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Triarii--Archers----- Archers------ Archers----- Archers-Triarii
    --------------------------General---------------------------

This formation I find to be pretty good at defending my archers and Velites

I see that many formations focusses on protecting archers and skirmiskers. I mostly use the light troops as bait. I rather have them getting mauled instead of my precious heavy infantry.
    Also many formations work only because the cpu is to stupid to really be a challenge.

My formation (in rtr)
    A A
    ---Ch---Ve-Ve-Ve-Ve---Ch---
    -Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-CH-

Cav(3units)
    Gen

Archers lure the enemy into my center. The enemy's first onslaught will fall on the cheaper and more expendable velites. I will quickly sent the four cohortes behind in the second line to asist the velites. With the center is engaged three cohorts on each flank charges the enemy. While the enemy is fully occupied my cavalry can finish the job by charhing into the back of the enemy.
    Also it is better to rout all the cavalry before the infantry even makes contact. Although the cpu consistently misuses his cavalry they can still do a lot of damage.

Default My Egyptian Army+ formation

My normal egyptian army looks like this:
    5 pharoahs guards (main battle line) - P
    4 pharoahs bowmen - B
    2 desert axemen (to stop flankers and to help pharoahs guard) - A
    4 nile cavalry - C
    2 chariot archers (no normal chariots, I dnt seem to be able to use them well) - CA
    2 Onagers - O
    General's Cavalry - G

My formation looks like this...
    _PPPPP
    _BBBB Onangers in Pharoah's Guard line.
    __G__
    __AA_
    _CCCC
    _CACA

The chariots are at the back so that when you tell them to attack they dont ruin your line.

III III III III III III
    C III III III III III III III C
    M M G M M

Is my typical formation.
    I= infantry
    C= cav
    M= missle
    G = general.

I guess it's pretty obvious. The front line engages, the second line reinforces/flanks, the cav flanks and missile units fire down.

In spqr where we get a shield wall I'll do this:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    V V V V
    III III III III III
    III III III III III
    G

I= infantry,
    V= velites.
    The first line is a long thin shield wall that holds the enemy in place. The outer units of the second and third line are usually used for flanking and the middle few units are usually used for reinforcing. Velites do their thing. Usually instanta routs the frontline of the enemy as they bounce of the shield wall.

Imagine all those lines are centered (it's not giving me the spaces).

In spqr I'll usually use a triple line (infantry) setup since the AI formations are deep. With other mods the infantry will nearly always be in 2 lines since most mods have wider ai formations.

Checkerboard is awesome.

My basic formation as Romans in RTW:
    L=legion cohort
    C=Legionary cavalry
    A=Archers
    G= General

LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL LLLL
    LLLL AAAA LLLL LLLL AAAA LLLL
    CCCC CCCC AAAA CCCC CCCC
    CCCC GGGG CCCC

10 Legionary cohorts
    6 cavalry units
    3 archers
    1 General.
    Alltough the cavalry is not so tigthly in the main army.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; January 10, 2006 at 07:12 PM.

mine is pretty basic
    I=Infantry
    C=Calvery
    V=Velites
    A=Archers
    G=General

V V V V
    I I I I I I
    CC
    A A A A A C C
    G

dont any of you try to make up something extravegant?

How pretty do ya want it?? The standard cavalry on flanks (or at back ready to flank), missile screening or at rear with infantry at the front or behind screening troops works. You whittle the enemy with missiles, hold them with your infantry and flank with cav or infantry. It may be simple but it's a proven strategy. Unless your troops are so superior that flanking isn't needed. 'Creative' formations usually leave a weakness unless they a taking advantage of something like terrain. The time to get creative is with your tactics, not your formations. You can't drastically change this standard formation without compromising it assuming there isn't an advantage available or that you are using a typical infantry/missile/cav mix.

The only armies you really get creative for are the cav style armies where you have such mobility that starting formation doesn't matter.

since i cant upload here email me at LOTRahhhharrowinthechest@saturn.aliens.com if you want my latest formation which by the way looks awsome and is tacticlly sound.

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Well in SPQR where there is shield wall, is use the historical and classic roman formation

________
    ---------
    - - - - - -
    V V V
    G

First line: Hastatii in shield wall, defence, fire at will, the line is streched as long as it can.
    Second: Principes exactly like hastatii
    Third: Triarii like hastatii and principes.
    Fourth: Velites, peppering the enemy.
    Then maby some cavalry for flanking maneuvers.

In SPQR i mostly try to wear out my enemy, i stand firm as long as the lines can hold.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

well thats all fine and dandy but think outside of the basic box formation go here to see some of my more recent work http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/fo...howtopic=14622

This is my most used formation.

-----------------Hastati Hastati Hastati Hastati----------------------
    Triarii Triarii----Principe--Principe--Principe--Principe----Triarii Triarii---
    ----------------Archers-----Archers-----Archers--------------------
    ----------------------------General-----------------Cavalry--Cavalry

I use my Hastati as the main meatgrinder, at the back i use Principes as reserve and to fix the gaps. The Triarii are used to envelop them. The Cavalry are riding together and i use them as a lit that demoralizes then enemy totally. All this happen while the Archers are sending clouds after cloud of arrows.