Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Your own formations

Default Re: Your own formations

Elo anyone there!

I use this formation most of the times with the Britons.

P = spears ( Barbarian Phalanx )
    D = Druids
    C = Cavalry
    M = Missile
    W = Woad warriors
    Ax = Axeman
    G = General
    C = Cavalry/Chariot

-----Ax-W-P-P-W-Ax
    ---W---D--Ax--D---W
    --W--M-M-G-M-M--W
    -------C-----C-----

But it depends on my enemy's formation aswell.
    How he deploys them, what missile units etc.

In multyplayer I don't use chariots often because they are kinda unfair o.0
    I would replace my Chariots for Cavelry or Missile units, but that depends on my opoonents faction.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Icon14 Re: Your own formations

LHIIIIIIIHL
    A A A A
    G

I=Infantry
    L Light Cavalry
    H-Heavy Cav
    A=Archer
    G=General

For Roman or phalanx factions Infantry halt near enemy on fire at will throw all pila into them first to cause as many casualties as possible and then charge in and hold the enemy while i flank them with heavy cav. Light cavalry goes around the flanks and gets ready to chase routers if its a campaign game. Archers provide support tho would start in front of the infantry so thy can shoot the oncoming enemy as well.

For HA factions i just have usually all my has on one flank ride them all around the flank and run my infantry/heavy cav up to their front to try and distract them and keep them from turning while my has shoot them in the back and eventualy crash into their flank ior back if they strat a melee with my distraction force that they are winning

Germania gets a special mention

AASSSSSAA
    ss a a a a G

A=Axemen or Chosen Axemen tho id put them behind the spears since their defense is so low
    S=Spear warbands Remember they can form Phalanx
    s=Screeching woman i love using them they raise morale by a considerable amount and just ad atmosphere to fights
    a=Archers

Spearmen shred the enemy beating weaker ones by themselves axemen help the spears if needed and flank women scream to encourage my army and scare the enemy archers shoot oncoming enemy. This is early on id use Gothic cavalry later on the flanks.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; October 29, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forlornhop3 View Post
    LHIIIIIIIHL

Germania gets a special mention

AASSSSSAA
    ss a a a a G

A=Axemen or Chosen Axemen tho id put them behind the spears since their defense is so low
    S=Spear warbands Remember they can form Phalanx
    s=Screeching woman i love using them they raise morale by a considerable amount and just ad atmosphere to fights
    a=Archers
    You shoud put ur screechers spreaded over ur army.
    Works better.
    Though if ur enemy attack's ur left flank it would be good to have all ur screachers and ur general at the left flank.

But in a run in ( frontal att spread ur screachers so it's verry affective )

like this:

AASSSSSAA
    s a a a s a G

my formation is called the pepper and salt as i pepper them with arrows then rub my swords into their wounds:
    a= archers
    i= infantry
    c= cavalry
    g= general

----a----a----a----a----
    c------------------i----i----i----i----i----i---i-----------------c
    g

my archers are at the front because the archers in this game can't hit a cows backside with a banjo so having them at the front garuntees a couple of hits with flaming arrows NOTE: do not do this against barbarian tribes even though they have little armour they are brave and will just run into them. once the archers arrows are spent then i do an infantry charge as the infantry of the other factions army is a rock bottom. the wide cavalry come rushing in from the flanks and end the battle effectivly.

Quote Originally Posted by alloafan1993 View Post
    ...the archers in this game can't hit a cows backside with a banjo...
    I found myself thinking way too long about this quote. That can't be a real saying...

MedievalDragoon: That was from the history channel right? Watling Street? I tried getting that to work for 2-3 weeks online. It's a nice idea, but the way rtw handles morale the 'points' of that formation act like they're surrounded and quickly rout. That, and lines of soldiers don't push effectively, so everyone ends up bunching into a line anyway. If you find a way to get this to work though, kudos to you.

"This space for rent." -AlexandertheMediocre

Kátz's Avatar Senator

This one is used in the mod RS. since it's the mod I have.
    V = Velites
    A = Archers
    L = Principes ( Legionaries after the reform )
    G = General
    C = Cavalry ( can be anything )
    T = Triarii

I call this the two-fold formation. you'll see why.

CCCCC LLLLLLLLLLLL VVVVVVVVVVVVVV LLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCC
    CCCCC LLLLLLLLLLLL VVVVVVVVVVVVVV LLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCC
    CCCCC CCCCC
    CCCCC LLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCC
    CCCCC LLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCC
    LLLLLLLLLLLL AAAAAA VVVVVVVV AAAAAA LLLLLLLLLLLL
    LLLLLLLLLLLL AAAAAA VVVVVVVV AAAAAA LLLLLLLLLLLL
    TTTTTTTT TTTTTTTT TTTTTTTT
    TTTTTTTT TTTTTTTT TTTTTTTT
    CCCCCCCC GGGGGGG CCCCCCCC

Notes : All L are set to fire at will and the back principe on guard mode.
    3rd line A and V are not set to fire at will.
    The troops in the very back are reserves.
    The first array of troops shall go with its 'skirmish', the cavalry are set to the far corners of the map. after they had done with their 'skirmish'. The first 3 units withdraw to regain stamina. After that, the 2nd line L will fire to the pursuing enemies. After some time wearing down the assault party. the A and V in the 3rd line with try to fire arrows and javelin from the flanks if the situation allows. and the 3rd line L and the 4th line T follows. With that I hope that slaughters the hopefully fallen enemies to my trap.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

This is how I kill huge barbarian hordes on the TFT v1.92, as Caesar himself:
    -Gaetulian cavalry far ahead of my legion, with loose formation and skirmish mode on
    -Legions in a line (duh) with local troops/mercenaries on the flanks
    -Missile troops in the rear
    -Caesar himself far to the right of the battle-line, along with the rest of the cavalry

First, I entice the enemy with my Gaetulians. The barbs never have missile troops, so the cavalry acts with impunity, tiring and killing the enemy. This can cause units of the horde to peel off from their main force to chase my cav, taking away from the initial shock on impact.
    When the barbs reach my line, they are greeted warmly with a shower of missiles. The hand-to-hand begins, and I order my mercenaries on the flanks to attack.
    The barbarian general usually hangs back, and this gives Caesar the time to angage him in combat and kill him.
    After the death of the chieftain, Caesar charges the rear of the barbarians fighting.
    Instant mass rout.
    Chase them down.
    Caesar and Gaetulians gain mucho experience.
    Simple but effective.

Sorry just look down!
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

1.About that before the battle place your units like this

Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry

place a space in between your infantry units but put them on tight formations.

2. When the phalanx(es?) advance toward your units harass them with your ranged infantry. The CPU usually, and stupidly, sends about one phalanx unit in small waves like this.

Them-
    ...............Phalanx...........Phalanx...........Phalanx

You- Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry...Infantry

3. Then when they are almost to your lines and you can pretty much bet which Unit they have their sights on, slowly withdraw them, as in walk, just dodging the phalanx spears by 2-3 men farther then them to inspire their troops. This quickly leaves their flanks/rear exposed as they are positioned as this:

Infantry............Infantry...Infantry..............Infantry
    ............phalanx........................phalanx...
    ............Infantry........................infantry...

4. Even IF by some miracle the CPU gather it's sense's it cannot move without exposing it flanks at all! If it turns right, it exposes it's rear to the Left and side to the Original Distractionary Force.

If it turns left, it exposes it's rear to the right and side to the Original Distractionary Force.

5. Wah-Lah!
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I use something similiar to Hannibal.

Px - Phalanx
    Pk - Pikes
    HS - Heavy Swordsmen
    LS - Light Swordmen
    Am - Archer Missile
    Jm - Javelin Missile
    Hc - Heavy Cavlalry
    Lc - Light Cavalry
    G - General

------------Px-----Px-----Pk----Ls----Ls----Pk-----Px-----Px----------

----Jm----Jm------Hs---------Ls---------Ls------Hs-----Jm-----Jm----

Hc-----Am------Am------Hs-------Hs--------Hs------Am-----Am-----Hc

-----Lc---------------Lc-----------G-----------Lc------------Lc-------

Now the beauty of this formation is that a head on opposite army will win... at first. They will tear through my middle as planned. However by the time they have cut through all my light infantry they are surrounded by 5 different sets of Heavy Infantry and pike men covering their escape. There is a risk that the pikemen will die. If they do then it is not a major loss as my javelins can be thrown into the center of my formation raining upon the enemy from both sides. Should it get to the point where my army just doesnt have the units for the job I can pull back all the units in blue behind my light cavalry. If I have to pull back I can expect fairly heavy front line losses. At this point Both me and my enemy should have lost many of our frontline troops so the only way to really hold this battle would be to damage the morale of my enemies units. At this point I send a cavalry charge onto the flanks... my general will be within metres away from the enemy opposition. The enemies archers at this point have 3 different targets. While theyre ditracted with trying to attack my cavalry. I can use my archers to attack there archers, before they realise it theyre pretty darn dead and fleeing. Once there is now archers and half there frontline I can bodly attack with a wide formation surrounding my enemies with swords, arrows, javelins and spears.

------------Px-----Px-----Pk----Ls----Ls----Pk-----Px-----Px----------

----Jm----Jm------Hs---------Ls---------Ls------Hs-----Jm-----Jm----

Hc-----Am------Am------Hs-------Hs--------Hs------Am-----Am-----Hc

-----Lc---------------Lc-----------G-----------Lc------------Lc-------
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

s=spear/hoplite/phalxn
    I=sword/axe
    a=archers
    j=javalins
    lc=light caverly
    hc=havy caverly
    g=general

--i- ---s--- --i- -i-- --s-- -i--
    -------j-------- -------j------- lc lc lc
    --a-- --a--
    hc hc hc h c

-----i-----
    --j--
    -a-
    g

my generals small unit is reserve and the light caverly is used for ambushes or to flank
    ik i shouldnt heap them up on one side but it works out cause the ai usualy does it too anyways
    this can be divided but it usually isnt and i usualy march them off in differnt direction and most off the time the ai doest no what to do and they send not enough units to one or ther other and by the time one unit is done i can flank them easily
    Last edited by MABUS2012; December 03, 2008 at 11:27 PM.

it wont work that isnt the way my troups are setup it like this

unit 1 unit 2
    ------ --------

-----
    gen unit

ok it still aint workin just imagine unit 1 and 2 has a huge gap between each other and the gen and his reserve is back & away and roughly in the middle

How about you draw it? That might be easier.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Lazero View Post
    This is my formation for the Roman faction in Rome: Total Realism

The idea is a slightly altered version of the old Roman manipular system. Velites attack the enemy first, then fall back behind the main army with the General's Cavalry and another cavalry unit between them. The Hastati make the initial assualt, while the Principes wait in reserve. They will be thrown into combat when the enemy is on the verge of crumbling, or when there are gaps in the line that need to be filled and/or an enemy unit's flank is exposed. The Triarii guard the flanks of the army against cavalry and other units. The Cavalry's job is to move around all the action and hit the enemy from behind. Other times, this results in their being used in cavalry vs. cavalry combat, and anyone who knows anything about the Roman cavalry understands that this is not a pleasant business.
    The General's cavalry and the spare cav. unit wait to fill in any gaps or to beef up the wings in case the cavalry is fighting other cavlary. The Velites fulfill the same role as the Principes, but mainly as a last resort.
    The formation changes little when using Legionaries, especially if mercenary/AoR spearmen are in the army.

This formation is actually pretty useful because it give you a strong center with reserves that can be used to reinforce other points on the line. I've actually fought battles where my Principes never had to be used in combat, or where they simply made the enemy route. The one flaw is that a strong enemy cavalry can maul my own, and that will lead to some hairy situations of my Triarii are occupied...thankfully the AI isn't THAT smart...>: D
    I completely agree with that strategy. You've got a good head on your shoulders!

H - hoplite (or whatever phalanx-type unit)
    C - Cavalry
    G - General

That simple setup has worked wonders for me on so many occasions, that it's almost second-nature for me now.

I've got some interesting ways to counter spear-inclined armies...I'll draw up something soon lol.

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

I'm a fan of the 4-3-3 "triplex acies" formation.

I was sceptical as to whether it would work in Rome Total War, but it actually works very well.

Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

This is the formation I always use when defending - The Square.

This is on vanilla, but works as well on expansions. It will only work when you are defending however, as the AI can't be bothered to kill itself when you are attacking.

Extremely simple yet deadly. It only needs 4 units, but 8 works better as a slightly octgaonal shape will prevent units flanks from being so vulnerable. This time i used phalanxes but shield walls or simply infantry on guard mode will facilitate well.

Inside you can have archers or cavalry, although archers will have problems if they are too boxed in. If you only have 3 units then this can be turned into a triangle but this negates the space inside. Put this near the back of the field, group it and watch the enmy die. When they rout, you can chase them as your troops will have plenty of energy.

You can also put it on the very edge and concentrate the rear troops on the other sides - this distance from the enemy also tires them out getting to you and means they will take ages to run away - if with some luck they act like AI and run back to the other end of the field

If I was on multiplayer online and saw this, I would rather than attack it. The attackers will be and
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Ah...the classic NoobSquare (tm).

Only really works against AI though. Most human players can destroy that formation without breaking a sweat.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...