Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Seleucid Guide

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: A Seleucid Guide

Well so am I, but I leave cities with anglicized names!

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

To each his own...

Say, how would you compose your armies against different opponents? Like the Armenians or Parthians?

Well I mostly use Thureophoroi based armies against Parthia, with some Lonchophoroi cavalry and maybe some HA... Thureophoroi are much more mobile than phalanxes and I need to have speed against a HA based armies. They are also recruitable in very early stages of your campaign so I can retrain them easily.

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Don't bother with peltast/skirmishers and go for slingers, recruit some archers if you can as well.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I disagree, Phalanx are great against Steppe if you can micro fast enough. Remember RTW phalanxes can turn in a split second. Cataphracts and slingers (and maybe the odd basilikon armored foot tank) are goig to provide the punch. You still need thorakitiai for their cavalry. But its difficult since Daha nobles and nakharar have AP
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Well I'm open for any suggestions revolving around the tactics against Parthia. TBH I've almost never gone conquering Parthian territories north of Zadracarta, and I'm not sure I'll change that for this guide. Ofc, this is a guide so I might as well try it.
    Lets see what tactics you propose and your experiences in using them and then I might launch an unstoppable retribution raid/conquest into their lands
    But I mostly tend to defend my eastern holdings in my campaigns so this is what I was going for (as stated in the beginning).

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Well, I find an army composed of 4 phalanx, 4 thorakitai, 5 Archers (preferably the AOR ones with 100 men in large unit scale), 4 slingers/horse archers, 2 cataphracts and a reasonably good general do pretty well against most of what Parthian AI will throw at me. For added protection/deterrence I have a second army composed mostly of low tier levy troops that back the main army as AI controlled reinforcements and "carry" the stone throwing balistas most of the time unless we're sieging.

The key to keeping a campaign against Parthia from becoming ridiculously costly in manpower is to as much as possible avoid battle on the field and go straight and take their cities . In a city, particularly the ones with wooden walls, their HA's are sitting ducks to your missile troops and artillery, and you can keep shooting at them with impunity until the ammo runs out. By that time, your infantry will probably have to deal with just mostly shattered units with a dozen or so troops left.
    Last edited by NightEye; November 05, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

@Rex Basiliscus, dont forget to mention about reducing corruption in antioch, it usually loses up to 20k in income simply from corruption, if u make the temple of athena (i think), then u reduce corruption by like 2000, i moved my capital from babylon to the city on the right or top right of palmyra and almost completely eliminiated corruption, it made my campaign a lot easier and at one point i was making 95k a yr, btw this was m/m and i control of the delta and cyprus, and it was pretty early in the campaign

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by elite_commando View Post
    @Rex Basiliscus, dont forget to mention about reducing corruption in antioch, it usually loses up to 20k in income simply from corruption, if u make the temple of athena (i think), then u reduce corruption by like 2000, i moved my capital from babylon to the city on the right or top right of palmyra and almost completely eliminiated corruption, it made my campaign a lot easier and at one point i was making 95k a yr, btw this was m/m and i control of the delta and cyprus, and it was pretty early in the campaign
    Dura-Europos Still, Babylon is nice in terms of RP like mentioned, has a nice touch to it Money isn't everything, though early in the campaign it helps.
    Last edited by Drowsy; November 05, 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Kaplony's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Basiliscus View Post
    Well I'm open for any suggestions revolving around the tactics against Parthia.
    Use an overwhelming amount of foot archers under the protection of the phalanx and some horse archer or light cavalry support and use scythed chariots (they are invulnerable to arow fire and effective against cataphracts and horse archers).. in the case you want to counter them in open field.

Against heavy infantry you only need a solid infantry line and one unit of elephants.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Kaplony; November 05, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    „Hungary is the Nation of heroes, Germany represents virtue, France represents liberty, Italy represents glory among the nations of the world. Hungary is the incarnation of valour.” - Victor Hugo

„The Hungarian Nation is the aristocracy of heroism, greatness of heart and dignity. When will we pay back our debt towards this blessed nation that saved the West? French historians should at last show their gratitute towards Hungary, hero of Nations. This Nation lifts us up and ennobles us with their heroic example. Hungarian heroism is a manifestation of high morals.” - Jules Michelet

„The whole civilized world is in debt towards Hungary for Her past.” - Theodore Roosevelt

MDT's Avatar Decanus

I defeated Parthia with this stack after it took out egypt:

Most of the work was done by the chariot.

When can you make part 3?

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

^Yup thats pretty much all you need. Strange EB chariots had only 1 armor and died like flies to arrows -.-
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Rex Basiliscus,
    I wonder how you will act against Ptolemic/Pergamon/Armenian forces when those wars will start. As I understand you did not finish Egypt before Parthia's war. It only needs 20-25 turns to activate Pergamon/Armenian ambitions to capture Seleucid's lands.

HELLO?

No need to use caps... Currently I'm not at home, so I can't post the next chapter. I'll have time on weekend, probably.

Also, MDT your economy seems great! Your empire also! I've never had Laodikeia in positive... That's probably because Antiocheia is your capital. How are your eastern regions in terms of PO?

Please continue this!

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

actually, i was running a one turn campaign try as the Seleucids, and i learned a valuable lesson.....DO NOT let dura-europos rebel....literally cuts your lands into an east and west
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

hello?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast