Thread: RTR and Macs

Icon1 RTR and Macs

On my last trip to the Apple store I noticed that they came out with the Gold version of RTW for Mac. Can I use the RTR mod with RTW on my Macbook? If so, do I have to do anything special?

Thank you in advance for any help.

MasterOfThessus's Avatar RTR Betateam Leader

Default Re: RTR and Macs

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=325408

See the last question

We migth have a conversion on the way, but nothing is set in stone.

It's easy to set aside part of your hard drive on the iMac as a Boot Camp partition. You DO have to shell out $200 for Windows 7 - or maybe you could buy an unused (Original Equipment) Windows XP disk for a hundred or so. I found one online a year ago, and I use it for XP on my iBook; but for the new iMac I bought Windows 7, personal/home.

Boot Camp is in your Applications folder; Utilities sub-folder.

Just click, print the directions, and begin...have the Windows Disk ready. It takes under an hour, but you'll have to spend some time just updating Windows.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

yes, Feral has even put out a custom installer along with everything you need to run RTRPE and EB
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Yup, though currently Feral only has RTRPE (and EB) converted for Mac. The RTR team has given them permission to create conversions of the newer RTR VII mods, as well. It's up to them to decide if they want to do it or not.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

Apparently the mod guru at Feral may port RTR 7 in January. Until then I'm playing it through bootcamp.

Is there any word on the VII port?
    I asked on the Feral facebook page, and the admin didn't even know they had ported mods until I posted links!

Is there a way to do it myself?

HouseOfHam's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by DougThrow View Post
    Is there any word on the VII port?
    I asked on the Feral facebook page, and the admin didn't even know they had ported mods until I posted links!

Is there a way to do it myself?
    You could probably give it a try, though it'd be a lot of work and I'm not 100% sure I remember everything the Ferral guy said would have to be done...

- run RTRVII installer and patches on a windows box (or in a windows emulator), then copy the RTRVII folder into the main RTW folder on your mac
    - in RTRVII\data, go though all the descr_*.txt and export*.txt files and change all file references to use forward slashes (/) instead of backslashes (\)
    - you may also need to do the same in RTRVII\Data\menu\Rome.lnt
    - afaik, wmv videos won't work on a Mac, so you might need to delete references to them from descr_sm_factions.txt and the faction_defeated section in descr_event_images.txt

Mmm... that's all that comes to mind right now. Good luck.
    RTR website/SVN admin

- Settlement coordinate locator -for RTW/M2TW
    - EDB Validator v1.2.8 (Oct 16, 2012) - for RTW/M2TW
    - RTW scripting tutorials
    - n-turns per year script generator

- run RTRVII installer and patches on a windows box (or in a windows emulator), then copy the RTRVII folder into the main RTW folder on your mac
    - in RTRVII\data, go though all the descr_*.txt and export*.txt files and change all file references to use forward slashes (/) instead of backslashes (\)
    - you may also need to do the same in RTRVII\Data\menu\Rome.lnt
    - afaik, wmv videos won't work on a Mac, so you might need to delete references to them from descr_sm_factions.txt and the faction_defeated section in descr_event_images.txt

Mmm... that's all that comes to mind right now. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to modify any of the files. Assuming you have already converted your RomeData image to read/write, all you would have to do is:

- extract the data on a windows system (or acquire them somehow)
    - mount your RomeData image. You can do this by just running the game.
    - copy the rtrvii folder (if I recall that is the name of the folder) to /Volumes/RomeData/rtrvii
    - exit RTW and start with the Advanced Options selected and the following: -mod:rtrvii

That should be it. I've done it in the past, but it has been a while so I may have the name (rtrvii) wrong.