Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noooooooo!

Icon13 Noooooooo!

So here's the scenario:

Genoa's long war with the Moors is reaching a climax. Iberia is dead-heat with Genoese-Aragon alliance being complicated by the outbreak in hostilities between Leon-Castile and Aragon, and although Grenada was captured by Aragon in a successful crusade (suggested to the pope by myself); their southern possession is now in serious jeopardy.

The Moors had denuded their north-african defences, and I made good this opportunity - swooping upon the weakly guarded fortress of Algiers. I rebuilt its defences, rearmed my forces, calmed the population, and awaited the Moors' next move.

The Moors took a few turns to assemble, but finally two full stacks approached Algiers. I didn't even have a full single stack - so I took Sun Tzu's advice and stood still. They came to me.

Three significant generals in one of the Moorish stacks. Buckets and buckets of decent infantry. No artillery. Only one of the stacks had developed siege equipment. I knew how this would roll.

Crossbowmen and three groups of militia spearmen to hold the front gate. The crossbowmen I would keep - the militiamen would be sacrificed. A veritable wave of enemies hit the defences and soon I was having to pull the crossbowmen due to the scrambling ladders. The spearmen braced as the gate caved in - and the rush began.

The spears held for awhile - at least until the sheer weight of enemy numbers turned their flanks, coupled with their compromising by the fall of the exterior walls. Those that were not butchered moved to the next set of defences.

Here was where I would make my stand. My elite crusader knights upon the walls, coupled with the saved crossbowmen. A full circle of spears - 6 deep behind the gates so that enemies would be surrounded on all sides.

The ladders boobed and weaved through the sea of orange - lit up by the enemy torchlight. Pared down by my withering fire they nonetheless reached the walls. The first assault was repelled, and the scene grew still - apart from the slow assemblage below and the steady sapping of their strength. The battering ram was brought forth again.

Far from abandoning the ladders - as soon as the gate had cracked the ladders were scaled again by forces on both sides. A thousand enemy soldiers rushed through the gates led by the 10* general and his force of bodyguards. Line upon line of Moorish men were cut down by the assembled wall of shield and spear - but my plan of launching a pincer counterattack were undone by the continued stream of enemies - I couldn't afford to break the shield wall.

So thick the clot that even Moors who were routing could not escape and were forced to fight to the death. Yet, my crusaders were dying, my once thick line of shields was now a thin golden sheen. My crossbow men cowered on the corners of the ramparts. My reserve was launched upon the gate: my cavalry waiting upon the hill.

The Moorish generals were killed in quick succession, but so, too, was my own. My crusaders - now down to just four men, finally routed and fell prisoner. Both sides were punch drunk - but the first fleeing Moors pulled down more brave men - and the flying, battered forces of my horse brought down more and more of the enemy as they rushed upon the shaken crowds of skirmishers and arches waiting without. A last push by the remnants of the Moorish forces - the last Moorish general and his guard pushed forward. The Great Cross was abandoned, so too the chase of enemy forces, and my returning horse and advancing foot sandwiched and smashed the last of the Moors.

The day was saved. Some 400 enemies escaped. The same number was captured. Twelve hundred lay dead within the fortress. The fighting force in north Africa was for the time silenced. I may not have had the capacity to launch an attack from Algeria, but the outlook was bright.

Another crusade? I have a Genoese man upon the Papal See. Let the other powers hit them in the front and I will snatch Africa for the kingdom of Genoa.

Medieval II has encountered an unexpected error and will now exit.

Ahhhh.....
    Last edited by Parva Corvus; October 14, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Noooooooo!

you have my sympathies... I've had a couple of CDT's right after a battle, a couple of them were tough ones that took some luck to win... If such as that happens then, assuming it's posible, I don't feel guilty about using a previously saved game, or the auto-save for the previous turn end..

I will usually fight those large battles at least twice unless I have a huge amount of battles in a single turn but if it crashes a 2nd time... I hope no hesitation to use auto_win these days. I'll dismiss a few units to try and match the forces I lost when I first fought, usually 1 elite and a couple weaker units if my losses had actually been severe in the actual battle.

This is the main reason I don't play RTW much anymore though... the battles there are much shorter but also way more frequent CTDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Parva Corvus View Post
    So here's the scenario:
    Medieval II has encountered an unexpected error and will now exit.
    Well your not alone, I also get this crash, unfortuantly. It's really annoying...
    And I don't know what to do about it...

Spartan90's Avatar Campidoctor

That was really detailed! As for the CTD, I feel your pain Only happens on your awesome victories as well, I've never had a CTD after a defeat..

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan90 View Post
    That was really detailed! As for the CTD, I feel your pain Only happens on your awesome victories as well, I've never had a CTD after a defeat..
    Haha, it's the AI. It cheats too

Spartan90's Avatar Campidoctor

Gotta give the AI a fighting chance though

Paladin94610's Avatar Senator

Do you have different Screen Resolutions for battle and campaign map. I encountered 2 CTDs due to resolution issue. The game seems to fail often in changing from one resolution to another in-game..
    Formerly Iberia Auxilia

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Parva Corvus....

You have a flair for writing... +Rep . You should stop by and pay us a visit....at "Tale of the Week". .....

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=802
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

I have this problem too guys

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I had a similar problem under SS6.1 and when I played RTW-Apocalypto
    Could it be due to the fact that the AI is switching from the battle map to the campaign map while switching as well the faction on the campaign map?
    I mean something similar like a man doing several tasks in the same time: at least one of them will go wrong
    Hope I'm clear.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

It's partially due to hardware, AFAIK.
    After I got my new GPU, a Radeon HD 5870, I haven't had a single end of battle CTD.
    I haven't done many large battles after I got my new GPU, though, I've mostly been playing other games (STALKER and Minecraft)
    So upgrading one's GPU should reduce the amount of end of battle CTDs, plus give one better performance.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I have a horrible feeling that some end of battle CTDs are battle AI script related.
    (my guess is it relates to the different timings the battleAIs have for capturing or holding the plaza -
    but I could be completely wrong )
    (my HD4850 works OK in most battles - it's more likely to fail during a battle than at the end of it.)

Brilliant battle tale, +rep.

I have had this problem before, but never in a scenario as epic as that, but i have had a similarly annoying one. I was sallying out of valencia (as Aragon) against Leon. Even though i took sever casualties (75%) i had managed to wittle the enemy down to only their general, who was charging my spear mitilia repeatedly doing some damage. Ok one man cant be too hard to take down.

WHAM CTD

A few things

• I also had crash issues with a battle resolution different from the campaign map resolution. That's been there since MTW1, so maybe I'm biased on that.
    • The RSII forum mentions that waiting at any end of battle question and statistic screen until the "work" leds have stopped reduces the chances of crashes, pointing to a general memory issue.
    • Battles played on different systems fail to reproduce the crashes on others. Maybe that's caused by a different BAI used, maybe it's hardware. Seems like some driver versions work to prevent the issue in one system and fail in the next. It's my understanding that using the default.bat to start the game will disable BAI switiching so you will default to only one BAI. So if you experience a end of battle CTD for whatever reason try starting the game with the .bat and playing the battle. Note that afaik the BAI data is cached and not switched in battle.
    • Unless I'm wrong on that, quite a few of those crashes seem to happen in siege battles. There is a tool Creating a World - Reduced City Textures that will install reduced city textures for the basic M2TW game. As it installs into the root directory of the original game, these changes will affect all games - unless a mod provides custom textures. More info can be found in the linked topic and Gigantus topic for TATW. Obviously you don't need the TATW Reduced City Textures 2.1.01.rar for SS6.3 but before anyone asks I better mention it. Some texture expert will have to post how much of an impact is to be expected from that, I couldn't find anything that quick on custom textures in SS6.3.
    Last edited by bɑne; October 15, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

happend to me alot aswell :/ i once defended with 1700 and defeated 6000+ and then after the victory screen it crashed the same way >_> luckily when i loaded the auto save, they didnt attack me, and that has happend alot aswell, seems like the computer is like HELL NO I RATHER CRASH THEN LET HIM WIN, and then next time it skipps attacking

The battle first crashed when I was assembling the forces - so that didn't matter. The second CTD was at the transition between battle and campaign.

I will try auto-resolve: but the odds were against my forces, so I doubt the outcome will be good.

I will also try taking on the battle again; and I probably wont sacrifice the outlying soldiers, but use them to bolster the shield wall where the main fighting is going to take place (not least because this takes less organisation).

Any idea how to take screen shots during battles? The body piles were impressive, even in the dark.

Oh, and thanks for the rep.

I almost never find the heroic victories as satisfying as the clear victories where you take a sound battering. My heroic victories almost always involve an AI exploit of some kind.

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

CTD at end of battle is the AI reloading the game. Hey! the human does it too.

U guys just make sure that u have updated DX 9.0c drivers on your machines having Vista which has DX 10 and Win having DX11 by default coz the game uses only DX9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    U guys just make sure that u have updated DX 9.0c drivers on your machines having Vista which has DX 10 and Win having DX11 by default coz the game uses only DX9.
    what? Can you update DX 9 if you have Win07 with DX11?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast