Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [RS 2.1a] RS II Enhanced Campaign Map v1.5

Default Re: [RS 2.0] RS II Map Tweaks v1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Fridericus Rex View Post
    I am sorry, but you must have confused RS II with a sub mod.

RS II has three alpine passes - one to southern France (which you still have in your mod), one into southern Switzerland (todays Brenner Pass) and the one into southern Austria.

These passes are important. For one, they present the real situation and then, for game play. The AI rebels frequently invade from trans-alpine.

I probably would not be able to correct this; hence have go back to the RS II map.
    I thought the passes open or not depended on which faction you played as. They were blocked to prevent the AI Rome from expanding the wrong way but open for a human AI to allow invasions from the north...

Default Re: [RS 2.0] RS II Campaign Map Tweaks v1.3

I think I should have given a more accurate look to each campaign's ground_types file then.

Well, there won't be new releases until the official RS patch comes out. After that, if what you say is right, I will make proper ground_types files.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Hey Spartan, was going through your new map and i like it. One thing though....Greek Cities are playable, but you forgot to remove the "no_movement 1" trait, so if a player plays the IGC, they cant move their FMs

ive uploaded the EDU that your mod contained, with the fixed traits. Hope it helps!
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Spartan, I am sorry, but I must report a problem with your map mod.

While I like the changes you made to RSII, I had several CTDs after installation of your mod.
    An explanation for these CTDs could be, that you made your changes not on the original RSII, but on a version where you had another sub mod already installed. Hence, conflicts with my sub-mods caused the CTDs.
    I completely re-installed RSII without any sub-mods. So far, I have no more problems.

This is just to alert you to the need for a clean base when you update the mod after patch release. I definitely will install your new sub-mod before I use other sub-mods.

Quote Originally Posted by AspisPhalanx90 View Post
    Hey Spartan, was going through your new map and i like it. One thing though....Greek Cities are playable, but you forgot to remove the "no_movement 1" trait, so if a player plays the IGC, they cant move their FMs

ive uploaded the EDU that your mod contained, with the fixed traits. Hope it helps!
    Oh, crap! I didn't even look if they had character traits...thank you very much for reporting the problem! Anyway this makes me think that the GCs where planned to be a non-playable faction from the beginning...I'll decide if either turning them back to non playable or fixing the issue.

Spartan, I am sorry, but I must report a problem with your map mod.

While I like the changes you made to RSII, I had several CTDs after installation of your mod.
    An explanation for these CTDs could be, that you made your changes not on the original RSII, but on a version where you had another sub mod already installed. Hence, conflicts with my sub-mods caused the CTDs.
    I completely re-installed RSII without any sub-mods. So far, I have no more problems.

This is just to alert you to the need for a clean base when you update the mod after patch release. I definitely will install your new sub-mod before I use other sub-mods.
    Don't worry! Without reports there are no way I can improve it! Well my submod is basically made only of campaign map files, and the only submod I have installed doesn't touch campaign map files. So, I have edited original RS II files.

I know I made a mess with some files because I thought they were all the same for all campaigns, while the Roman campaign uses some different files, but I have fixed this problem in version 1.3.

Can you be more specific about those CTDs? The CTDs I got while playing were 99.999% caused by revolts or cloned characters, and those issues are not my fault but they will be fixed in the RS patch.
    Last edited by Spartan 666; November 12, 2010 at 09:45 AM.

Oh, crap! I didn't even look if they had character traits...thank you very much for reporting the problem! Anyway this makes me think that the GCs where planned to be a non-playable faction from the beginning...I'll decide if either turning them back to non playable or fixing the issue.
    aha no worries. I only thought to look there because in EB i made a Pergamon faction campaign, and noticed the rebel generals were listed as either "stationary" or not. the non-moving ones also had a similar traitAs much as i wish they were...it seems like their economy also is in the pits. I could just be mismanaging, but im barely scraping up 1000 per turn. I think they may have been meant to be unplayable, as they probably get a big cash bonus in the script as an AI faction
    Last edited by AspisPhalanx90; November 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

That could also be caused by great garrisons scattered all over the map, but it is also very likely that it is meant by the script. I think I will make them back an unplayable faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    That could also be caused by great garrisons scattered all over the map, but it is also very likely that it is meant by the script. I think I will make them back an unplayable faction.
    Well, id love to believe its the garrisons, which it may well be. But even in 0-turn with massive building im making 30k a turn. 1-turn, if i dont raise taxes, im -10k. A drastic change like that makes me believe its in the script.

either way, i love what you did with the map. The land bridge between sicily was a must. I havnt played it long enough yet to check out what the blocked passes in the alps do, but so far Rome ALWAYS breaks its alliance with the IGC early on, and expands along the coast, rather than up into Germania

The Alpen passes are an absolute must for the Rome player - the rebels tend to invade frequently from the north, which is historically correct; and enhances game play. In vanilla and modes with passes it was necessary to secure the passes with forts to avoid these nasty incursions.

The mod properly played, one will expand to the west or east.

Well, id love to believe its the garrisons, which it may well be. But even in 0-turn with massive building im making 30k a turn. 1-turn, if i dont raise taxes, im -10k. A drastic change like that makes me believe its in the script.

either way, i love what you did with the map. The land bridge between sicily was a must. I havnt played it long enough yet to check out what the blocked passes in the alps do, but so far Rome ALWAYS breaks its alliance with the IGC early on, and expands along the coast, rather than up into Germania
    Then it must definitely be something related to the scripts, due to the fact that IGC are meant to be playable in 0 turn but not in 1 turn campaigns.

Anyway, thanks for your appreciation! Rome expanding along the coast was exactly what I wanted, I hated Rome conquering Denmark before Greece!

The Alpen passes are an absolute must for the Rome player - the rebels tend to invade frequently from the north, which is historically correct; and enhances game play. In vanilla and modes with passes it was necessary to secure the passes with forts to avoid these nasty incursions.

In future versions the alpine passes will be open for Roman, Gallic and Boi players in 0 turn campaigns. The passes will be closed for all other factions. The same thing will be for the Caucasus (open for Armenia and Sarmatia only) and for the thracian area (open for Macedon and Dacia only). This way, human players will have to defend the passes or use them for their invasions.

As for 1 turn campaigns, the only way to meet personal preferences is to make various ground_types files available.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

ahhhhhh...I don know of anybody else than Hannibal who ever crossed the alpes with an army to challenge Rome in Italy
    The Goths, Vandals and other tribes who invaded North Italy in the later days where coming from the east without having to cross the Alps.

As for the passes.
    Its not a problem for a human player to deal with the passes but they have been blocked to avoid strange Faction expansions and assure survival for Rome being AI and attempt a historical evolution of the game and not having Rome overrun by Barbarians early (which is most likely to happen with open passes)

oh how i WISH rome would be overrun...yet to happen in any of my campaigns with Rome as the AI

oh how i WISH rome would be overrun...yet to happen in any of my campaigns with Rome as the AI

...yeah...but the goal of the mod was that the player no matter what faction he plays will have to face Rome sooner or later.
    I mean the title is "Roma Surrectum" and not "Roma Occidere"...isnt it ?

Anyway..If this is not coming with the new patch I will install it.
    Does is run properly by now Spartan666 ?....
    Last edited by chris10; November 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Yes, yes Roma "Surrectum" blahdy blah!....cant hannibal at least give them a hard time??? every campaign, Hannibals army was nowhere to be seen by the end of the first turn, or rushing back to spain depleted...By the time i get a crack at rome its too late...half of Germania, gaul, hispania..its all Roman, even northern greece sometimes

Yes, yes Roma "Surrectum" blahdy blah!....cant hannibal at least give them a hard time??? every campaign, Hannibals army was nowhere to be seen by the end of the first turn, or rushing back to spain depleted...By the time i get a crack at rome its too late...half of Germania, gaul, hispania..its all Roman, even northern greece sometimes

...seems that the Romans give you a hard time then.......
    nice ...

Yes it works fine even now. The only crashes I got (and they were a lot!) were caused at the 99,999% by cloned characters and revolts, which is not this mod's fault.

I will make a new version when the official RS patch comes out. It might require more time than I thought because it seems they worked on the map too, so their changes might be incompatible with my mod's files.

Yes it works fine even now. The only crashes I got (and they were a lot!) were caused at the 99,999% by cloned characters and revolts, which is not this mod's fault.

I will make a new version when the official RS patch comes out. It might require more time than I thought because it seems they worked on the map too, so their changes might be incompatible with my mod's files.
    well...I look forward for the new version then...
    As for the alp passes and the blocks in spain to avoid the gauls or germans invading italy and the hispanics invading gaul ...I seriously think If you remove them the superfaction problem of vanilla will be back at full force...
    the landbridges though are simply GREAT
    Last edited by chris10; November 16, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

That's exactly the reason why I put blockades in certain areas while I put land bridges in others. I like changing History, I love non-linearity in games. But I hate to death the absurdity of the RTW AI, which unfortunately is hard coded.

With Alps opened, Rome would expand into Germany before knowing where Sparta is. This is totally unacceptable for me, but I understand other people can have different opinions, so I'll include some optional files to try and meet personal preferences.

So, finally the RS 2.1 patch has been released. It made very little changes to the campaign map, so I will be able to make a new version of this sub mod very soon!

So, finally the RS 2.1 patch has been released. It made very little changes to the campaign map, so I will be able to make a new version of this sub mod very soon!
    yeah...just noticed...a pity that the patch is broken...well...waiting for a working release without CTDs....
    gives me more time to understand scripting as I started working on a garrison script for 1Turn
    to declare end to blitzing...
    there will be beefy garrisons for the 1Turn Roman Players to overcome......obviously once I get it to work...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast