Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Varys and Mystery-Dude in book 1 - MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS

Double A's Avatar person man

Default OT: Varys and Mystery-Dude in book 1 - MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS

I've been re-reading the series.

Anyway, you all remember that conversation that Arra overheard that she really wasn't supposed to after she caught super cat? (if not go cry)

Yeah, well, I've been thinking. Err, thought, anyway, but up until now there's been know where for me to say anything about it.

So anyway. Other guy was Magister Illyrio. I didn't get it the first time through because, well, the entire book was confusing as hell. But he's definitely Illyrio.

It appears not only his name is badass.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Default Re: Varys and Mystery-Dude in book 1

I thought it was Littlefinger at first but its very possible its Illyerio.

The description fits in every way with Illyrio. I only realized it was him after re-reading the book, since the first time it was all too new for me to recognize.

Never made that connection, wondering though how did he have the time to get to Westeros? Wasn't he busy arranging a marriage and what not at that time?

hickster's Avatar Foederatus

Havent read the books in a few years but I believe this meeting takes place after Daenerys has married Khal Drogo and they have left Pentos. So it very well could be Illyrio as he isn't really mentioned after that, and the man matches his description.

Beggar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkhal View Post
    I thought it was Littlefinger at first but its very possible its Illyerio.
    They mention Littlefinger in their conversation, saying something about how unpredictable he'll be or something along those lines. So I'd put my bets on Illyrio, too.

Pretty scary that two fat guys can manipulate the fat of so many.

Actually, it's only one fat guy, but I can see where you'd think he'd be two.

So, yeah, it's two fat guys and a cockless omniscient ex-mummer.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1214/

Seems it were Varys and Illyiro

Colonel Cleg McLeg's Avatar Decanus
    Cardiff or Wrexham, in Wales, depending on the time of year.

I've always assumed it was Illyrio.

jazstl's Avatar Civis

Or the fat knight who wasn't from Westeros, I can't remember his name just now...

Quote Originally Posted by jazstl View Post
    Or the fat knight who wasn't from Westeros, I can't remember his name just now...
    See my post above, it's been confirmed by GRRM that it Illyrio and Varys were the two talking to each other there.

If Martin has spoken I guess it solves the problem.

jazstl's Avatar Civis

Ipse Dxit

Default Re: OT: Varys and Mystery-Dude in book 1 - MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS

It's definitely Illyrio, I'm pretty sure GRRM has said so. Which also has me wondering: is it possibly Varys was originally an Unsullied? He wears the garb later on in the series (I think when he takes Tyrion to Shae's manse in King's Landing) as it's described as a pointed helmet, and he is a eunuch. Is it possible Varys was an Unsullied and somehow escaped his servitude? Somehow wasn't indoctrinated like the other Unsullied? I'ts probably nothing, but the similarities are there.

EDIT: Fishy beat me to the punch. Good on you, Ser.
    "Go to where the men speak Italian, then continue on until they speak something else."

"I've found that brothels are a much safer investment than ships. Whores rarely sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin just like everyone else." - Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

"Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life." - Falstaff
    Henry IV Part 1, 3. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dizoakius Maximus View Post
    It's definitely Illyrio, I'm pretty sure GRRM has said so. Which also has me wondering: is it possibly Varys was originally an Unsullied? He wears the garb later on in the series (I think when he takes Tyrion to Shae's manse in King's Landing) as it's described as a pointed helmet, and he is a eunuch. Is it possible Varys was an Unsullied and somehow escaped his servitude? Somehow wasn't indoctrinated like the other Unsullied? I'ts probably nothing, but the similarities are there.

EDIT: Fishy beat me to the punch. Good on you, Ser.
    Varys said somewhere to Tyrion that he lost his cock to some guy who summoned what appeared to be a demon.

The_Kingslayer's Avatar Libertus

See, I read that post and Martin simply doesn't challenge the fact that the man was Illyrio because there was no question about it. Many of my friends who got me into the series have conjectured that it was Jaqen H'ghar or someone else trained in the temple with the ability to change faces.

But man... now I wish I had seen this before my current re-read.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."

Quote Originally Posted by The_Kingslayer View Post
    See, I read that post and Martin simply doesn't challenge the fact that the man was Illyrio because there was no question about it. Many of my friends who got me into the series have conjectured that it was Jaqen H'ghar or someone else trained in the temple with the ability to change faces.

But man... now I wish I had seen this before my current re-read.
    Hmmmmm jaqen was in kings landing. maybe this was part of the reason. I cant wait to see how that turns out later

The_Kingslayer's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Goldenhand View Post
    Hmmmmm jaqen was in kings landing. maybe this was part of the reason. I cant wait to see how that turns out later
    The other thing is that it just seems to convenient for him to be there in the keep, skulking around in their discussions. Why skulk and talk when you are the Master of Whispers (and as such know all the secrets and can talk wherever you please).

But, then again, re-reading the description, it's just about dead on.

"There are no men like me. There's only me."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It's Illyrio, because if you remember in that conversation between Daenerys, Barristan and the Mormont, it's revealed that Varys did not want Daenerys to be hurt, he just wanted her watched. Remember what Varys said, he serves not the King, but the Kingdom, meaning he probably tought Daenerys was the best for the Kingdom, rather than the endless fighting that would ensue after Robert died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast