Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sub-Mod Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: Suggestions for new sub-mods-and what do you think of the ones we already have?

I have been thinking about a concept for a sub mod that deals with recruitment of units. Something that has kind of bothered me about TW games is that you can recruit your nations infantry anywhere no matter how improbable it would be in real life. So my though was to limit recruitment and create areas of recruitment of other units, some what a kin to what the TROM mod did.

Consider Prussia as an example. Prussian Line, with all the perk advantages should be only available in core regions Berlin and East Prussia. In the rest of Europe you can recruit a German line or Provincial Line that is good but not as overpowering, really forcing you to preserve those elite troops in your army, kind of line the Colonial Troops in North and South America. Also you can not recruit European troops at all in Africa and the middle east, even the Militia could be the Eastern version, which would help slow down bliziting through the area. So perhaps expand on the African line concept and middle eastern forces. I believe that there has already been some good work done here as in adding more diversity to the region.

In addition perhaps make some of the more unique troops available to everyone as long as you control the province they are know for, for example including POMs German troops AOR recruit mod so you can enjoy the diverse richness of the German states, add in say Highlanders, for Scotland and Hungarian troops and so on, allowing for a more diverse Imperial experience.

I think these concepts together add a new level of strategy, giving a player a chance at more elite troops, which would help players playing as say Poland or the Swedes who are limited in elite troops in game. Yet at the same time would force you to really consider battles in far ways places such as the middle east since recruiting new line infantry is a difficult process.

What do you all think. I am sure that alot of this is really do able if you know what your doing, which I don't
    Last edited by aggie_john; December 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Foederatus

Icon7 Re: Suggestions for new sub-mods-and what do you think of the ones we already have?

Hi

I’m pretty new to DMUC but I have to say I’m pretty impressed, it’s a great improvement on what would have otherwise been an unplayable game.
    I have 2 ideas for sub mods.

1 make the thirteen colonies playable but still under the command of the British. Give the player some incentives to break away from Britain at some point like a certain percent of your income goes towards them until you become independent.

When you do declare independence Britain should make a specific effort to send several armies to try regain their colonies. After Britain has lost a few major battles and most of its original attack force it should give up and accept the loss. During the war enemies of Britain should be likely to make alliances with you and help while allies of Britain would also help the British side.

The wiliness of Britain to continue the war should be determined by their current situation. If London is on the verge of falling by invading forces then Britain should probably accept your independence straight away. While if Britain is a huge super power, with plenty of cash to spend, they shouldn’t stop the war until after experiencing considerable losses.

If some of this is difficult to code then even something close to what I’ve described I think would be a great mod.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Suggestions for new sub-mods-and what do you think of the ones we already have?

That has already been done in part-the 13 colonies are playable in the custom campaign IIRC.

However, new events cannot be scripted in ETW.

Foederatus

Icon7 Re: Suggestions for new sub-mods-and what do you think of the ones we already have?

My second Idea is to start the game around the year 1600. Add new units or change current units to match the era. The game would be more about the original colonisation of North America a race among the European powers to be the first to colonise the Americas. There would be more natives and large native armies to contend with. European technology would be less advanced to begin with making the natives a bigger challenge as things like small arms fire would be less effective.
    Last edited by fnpdestroyer; January 10, 2011 at 08:10 AM.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    That has already been done in part-the 13 colonies are playable in the custom campaign IIRC.

However, new events cannot be scripted in ETW.
    Yes I already knew it was playable I was talking more about making a proper war for independence but it can’t be done then fair enough.

riknap's Avatar Miles
    A former Spanish Colony, then an American Commonwealth, then an independent Republic

Quote Originally Posted by fnpdestroyer View Post
    Yes I already knew it was playable I was talking more about making a proper war for independence but it can’t be done then fair enough.
    you could always play CIV IV Colonization...
    okay, that was off-topic.

on a related note, isn't it possible to modify the startpos in such a way that you start with the first few colonies as "America", with the rest of the 13 colonies as the British, and then fight the British forces already present....
    Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember
    Nothing is true.
    Where other men are limited by morality or law, remember
    Everything is permitted.
    We work in the dark to serve the light. We are assassins.
    Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Yes, it is, but I don't know of anyone with plans to do that at the moment, ask one of the startpos people (though Fortes is rather busy on the XIX mod)

Quote Originally Posted by fnpdestroyer View Post
    If you want a proper war for independence play TAR it uses Darth CAI if I'm not wrong, about a mod starting in 1600 i would suggest you to try Early American Colonization by husserlTW.

Edit: Also if you want i can upload a modified startpos that allow you to play with any nation in RTI episode 2.
    Last edited by ForteS; January 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Rilder's Avatar Miles

I'd like to reiterate a need for a unit-cropping and unit-finishing sub-mod. I've tried doing such changes myself but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at.

Before the same arguments come up: Yes there is a "Reduce Extra Units" option in the launcher, and no it doesn't do what I'm talking about here. It doesn't get rid of half the units I want and I think removes a good amount of the units that I find makes sense to the game.

In a recent Swedish campaign I built the third level barracks and came across an issue that has affected me to the point I've actually been tempted to uninstall Darth Mod.

Horrendous Amounts of Named Units.

Sweden, has Apparently 10 or so Variations of Line Infantry. Most of these are just Named or Historical regiments that you can only recruit one of. I don't mean offense to Swedish who take pride in these regiments, or the modders who worked on these, but honestly, they add nothing to the game except to clutter the recruitment tab and make it a pain to recruit anything. Even once you do recruit them they still clutter up the recruitment tab for the rest of the game...

I suggest a mod that cleans up factions like Sweden and makes their unit roster a bit more.. well better, like getting rid of all these "Named Regiments" (I would rather take a unit a line infantry and name them instead of having pre-named regiments)

Maybe instead of making these regiments recruitable, put them in the starting armies, that way people get their historical regiments and people like me don't feel pissed off at having to deal with a bunch of named units cluttering everything. Empire Total War just doesn't work very well for spamming rosters with as many units as possible since each unit you add makes it harder to select units for recruitment.

The Ottomans seem to be a good example of what makes more sense in my eyes. Although some of the units are similar or even very similar they all seem different and varied with a good reason for being in.

I dunno, I just prefer unit variation like it is in Europa Barbarorum and such.

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

You can't compare the two eras because it was a different type of warfare and the armies were mostly made of line infantry.
    Ottomans and Eastern factions are different.

I don't like having too many named regiments (especially if they look the same) but the 6 Sweden has is within normal limits.
    Prussias 13 named regiments on the otherhand is overkill.

Fortunately you can turn these off quite easily with DB Editor

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Hey guys, I got a very stupied question to ask, is there plans on a "ETW: Napoleon Total War" mod, I know there's already a hole game you can buy but honestly the gameplay is not good at all.
    After trying Darthmod on ETW I loved it, but I ran into a problem when playing France (4 turns per year), in exactly 1711 when I click End Turn, I whatch the computer make there moves for a while then I get a CTD, every time.
    Anyway so if you guys have plans for a Napoleonic Mod for ETW, could you shed some light on that?

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

No, but we have a Victorian Mod (1867-1914)
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Hammeredalways and myself had a basic plan for a Napoleonic era mod, but its at the bottom of the to-do pile considering he hasn't been here for a couple of months.

SHaDoWxCrUsAd3r's Avatar Civis

Maybe a no grass mod for winter

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    Hammeredalways and myself had a basic plan for a Napoleonic era mod, but its at the bottom of the to-do pile considering he hasn't been here for a couple of months.
    I'd help if you want
    Quote Originally Posted by SHaDoWxCrUsAd3r View Post
    Maybe a no grass mod for winter
    Is that possible? Maybe... I'll ask someone.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Tiro

Can youll revamp the unit sizes for all the factions.. actually the medium unit size on basis of Napoleon total war..please
    I am playing C.B. 1.1 and i fell its not fare to have such a Hugh unit size when i really want medium unit size
    Last edited by neha123; February 20, 2011 at 07:01 AM.

i can suggest a most important wars starting 1700 ^^

first and most important is the war of the spanish succesion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_...ish_Succession that war change europe and is the end of a big empire ( spanish ) ^^ and 400k-1kk people dead

changes the alianse and enemys

date : star 1701

allied : Spanish + france + bavaria Vs great bretain + austria + netherlands + saboya + portugal

important : king carlos of spain is dead ( last hasburg on spanish ) and new king is felipe II ( borbon ) papal state is allied with spain and france but is neutral

the second war is " war of north europe " sweed vs very enemys and change north europe

allied : sweed Vs russia + polonia + denmark

important : prussia is neutral but wants to expand with poland and germany territories

others wars are vanilla and is fine / india civil wars ( maratha vs moghols ) and otoman wants expand with europe territories ( austria and russia )

i hope like my suggest for a history campaing is a big war and really fun

my wish list is short and easy, and i'd bet both already exist and i just haven't found them yet

-some new music

-all factions playable in late campaign

IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

awesome, that looks perfect

a quick question that occurred to me-
    when i reset scripts from the launcher, will it remove any of these mods?

thanks a lot