Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Thanks for explaining it to me.
    Shame stuff couldnt be nicked from the Med 2 TW engine, so armour upgrades in campaign map makes the unit appear differently on the feild.

Brian93's Avatar Civis

Thanks Aristotle!

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    How does one use forced diplomacy, exactly?
    Are you speaking of the cheat? I'm pretty sure Creative Assembly removed that cheat from the game as of the 1.5 patch

(Who guards the guards?) -Juvenal

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian93 View Post
    Thanks Aristotle!

Are you speaking of the cheat? I'm pretty sure Creative Assembly removed that cheat from the game as of the 1.5 patch
    What cheat? There's a fairly heavily used mod called forced diplomacy that can force the AI into accepting any deal proposed by the player.

Brian93's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Dull_Gladius View Post
    What cheat? There's a fairly heavily used mod called forced diplomacy that can force the AI into accepting any deal proposed by the player.
    Oh, I wasen't aware of such a mod lol. There used to be a forced diplomacy cheat in the game, but it was removed in patch 1.5, along with several others, such as invincible general cheat, jericho, and process_rq

EDIT: scratch that, jericho does work.
    Last edited by Brian93; November 03, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

(Who guards the guards?) -Juvenal

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow great guide Once I get Rome and RS2 working again I'll put it to the test haha. One question though, I thought the rebelions were random, so even if we follow your moves to the letter we'll all get a slightly different rebellion?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Wow great guide Once I get Rome and RS2 working again I'll put it to the test haha. One question though, I thought the rebelions were random, so even if we follow your moves to the letter we'll all get a slightly different rebellion?
    The rebellion is "random" in the sense that any two southern Italian cities can rebel. So you might get Capua and Rhegion, or Cannae and Crotona, or whatever. I'm not sure if some cities are favored over others (if Capua has a greater change of being one of the rebel cities than, say, Crotona) or if all cities have an equal chance. But yes, if you follow these steps, you can still end up with a slightly different rebellion.

The stacks that are spawned during the rebellion, though, are the same no matter where it occurs. So the only thing that's random about the rebellion is where it occurs, and within a turn or two, when it occurs.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Thanks + rep
    Also, do you have any advice when it comes to controling Syracuse? for some reason I cannot keep that place content and it always riots and such?
    EDIT: Oh and do you play with 1-turn or 0-turn recruitment?
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; November 05, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Thanks + rep
    Also, do you have any advice when it comes to controling Syracuse? for some reason I cannot keep that place content and it always riots and such?
    EDIT: Oh and do you play with 1-turn or 0-turn recruitment?
    I play 0-turn recruitment.

Syracuse is difficult to control. I usually take it early on in the game, after I deal with the first rebellion. Shortly thereafter, Greece usually attacks one of my Sicilian cities. I retaliate by sending a legion to Sicily to take to Syracuse. This is usually before 570 AUC.

When I take Syracuse, I have two options (three, but two are the most doable): I can kill off the population or I can enslave them. The third option, just leaving everyone there and trying to make it work, is doable, but you have to be on your toes and manage your buildings very carefully. If it's not already built, build Wells (they go a long way to making people happy). After that, Roman temples. Build the Jupiter Shrine (it's usually the first building I build when I take a city). This opens up all the other temples and I build one every other turn (the shrines are pretty inexpensive and only take one turn).

Between those, I build government buildings. Tear down any military buidlings the Greeks left - you can't use them anyway. If I'm in a foul mood, I tear down the Greek temples, too. Other than that, there's no benefit for tearing down any other buildings.

The easier way to take Syracuse and keep people happy, though, is chosing to either thin the population out by exterminating them (relocating them), or to enslave them. 9 times out of 10, I enslave them, mainly because I need population in other cities. Once I've done that, controlling Syraucuse is a breeze.

For the record, I do the same thing with Massilia. I take it shortly after I take Syracuse and while I'm still at war with the Greek Cities. Between the two, I get great trade income and, later on in the game, Massilia is one of the best unit producing cities on the map, producing 4 Imperial (named) legions and 4 or 5 different auxilia legions.

Of course, holding Massilia involves a never-ending battle with the Arverni, but what can I say: I never get tired of killing Arverni.

I hope that helps.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    later on in the game, Massilia is one of the best unit producing cities on the map, producing 4 Imperial (named) legions and 4 or 5 different auxilia legions.
    Talking of recruiting powerhouses: try Salonae, six (or even seven?) Imperial Legions. Lovin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    Of course, holding Massilia involves a never-ending battle with the Arverni, but what can I say: I never get tired of killing Arverni.
    So true.

Thanks Dani In the end I just exterminated and now two legions are converging on Akragas and the full stack of Greeks ensconsioned there. I'm having loads of trouble putting down the rebel alliance though, they keep finding full stacks to throw at me full of silver shield troops

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Dani, thanks for this guide. It's very nice.

I'd like to make a little suggestion about legion's composition for those without money:
    They say that standard legion can have:
    1 General
    8 Republican Cohorts
    4 Triarii
    4 Velite
    2 Equites
    1 Latin Cavalry

I would replace Triarii with Bruttian Spearmen units (mercenaries from around Rhegion) which are basically the same unit but with half upkeep costs.

There is also mercenary archer unit around Aleria/Caralis called Corsico-Sardinian Infantry (upkeep 335) with good fighting abilities: melee 12, missile 8, defence 22. I would use them instead two Velite units because of small number of ammunition Velites have.

About money: garrison duties can perform Greek Slingers (upkeep 150) and Lucani Light Infantry (upkeep 347). Both units can be recruited in southern Italy (Crotona or mercenaries).

Using mercenaries helps growing population in your cities (will not depopulate them) and after initial high costs, lowers your upkeep.

Anyway Roman army used allied/auxilia units heavily.

Hope it helps.

I actually find that having variation in legion composition lends itself to better roleplaying And I also maintain allied legions, and use siege weapons. But that's just me

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

I actually find that having variation in legion composition lends itself to better roleplaying And I also maintain allied legions, and use siege weapons. But that's just me
    I agree...

Great guide, am still wondering if I made the right choice about economic vs fortified region designations and holding Hispania while foregoing the Balkans...

For the 'legions', should not each one be half Roman and half Roman Allied? That ws my understanding of the Polybian system. I try to emulate this with:

1 x General
    1 x Subordinate Commander
    2 x Medium Cavalry
    5 x Roman Cohorts
    2 x Roman Triarii
    5 x Allied Cohorts
    2 x Allied Triarii

That gives 18 with 2 slots of skirmishers or other ranged weapons. The nice thing is, you can detach the Roman and Allied contingents to operate separately but in support, bolstering one or the other with extra infantry or mercenaries. Each of the 7 infantry formations can form a dual acies that can handle most enemies with support for operations against multiple enemy stacks (as I'm now facing outside Emporiae )

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    Great guide, am still wondering if I made the right choice about economic vs fortified region designations and holding Hispania while foregoing the Balkans...

For the 'legions', should not each one be half Roman and half Roman Allied? That ws my understanding of the Polybian system. I try to emulate this with:

1 x General
    2 x Medium Cavalry
    5 x Roman Cohorts
    2 x Roman Triarii
    5 x Allied Cohorts
    2 x Allied Triarii

That gives 18 with 2 slots of skirmishers or other ranged weapons. The nice thing is, you can detach the Roman and Allied contingents to operate separately but in support, bolstering one or the other with extra infantry or mercenaries. Each of the 7 infantry formations can form a dual acies that can handle most enemies with support for operations against multiple enemy stacks (as I'm now facing outside Emporiae )
    Good idea....maybe a bit overpowered with 4 Triarii and I see no skirmishers which where 100% part of the Roman Army...
    2-3 Triarii and at least 3 skirmishers would make it more accurate...
    although once you meet the Reforms this becomes obsolete
    Last edited by chris10; November 16, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post

1 x General
    2 x Medium Cavalry
    5 x Roman Cohorts
    2 x Roman Triarii
    5 x Allied Cohorts
    2 x Allied Triarii

Hmm. I like the mix of half Roman, half Allied. That makes a lot of sense.

Do you find that having a subordinate commander actually allows that general to gain traits and skills, or does it simply allow for experience gain? That sounds like a great way to train new governors and generals immediately after recruiting them.

What legion composition do you use after the reforms?

What legion composition do you use after the reforms?
    For me it depends where and whom the Legion is fighting....
    As for the numbered field Legions the default is obvious:

1 General
    1 First Cohort
    9 Cohorts

Rest is depending on area,enemy and whats recruitable in the area closest to where the Legion fights

1. Against Barbarians:Gaul,German,Belgae,Hispanics etc :

2 Aux with ability "Bonus fighting Cavalry" for the flanks
    2-3 Barbarian Merc Cavalry
    3-4 Skirmishers (Velites)
    1-2 slots free for whatever suits me in the moment

2. Against Phalanx and other Factions except Parthia :
    2 Speer (Local Merc Recruitment for protecting Flanks of Archers)
    4 Archers
    2-3 Cavalry

Battle Formation working against all Factions is as follows:

1st line: Cohort__Cohort__Cohort__Cohort__Cohort Fire at Will/Guard Position

2nd line: Cohort__Cohort__ First__Cohort__Cohort Manually Select Fire at will when enemy Infantry reaches 1st line to avoid wasting pilum against skirmishers closing in

2. 3rd line: Speer_Archer_Archer__Archer_Archer_Speer Fire at will/Guard Position
    or
    1. 3rd line: Auxilia_Skirm_Skirm_Skirm_Skirm_Auxilia Fire at will/Guard Position/ Manually if Elephants or Chariots are present.
    4th line Cavalry_Cavalry___General________ Cavalry Cavalry going to outflank enemy if possible or
    counter enemy Cavalry

Sometimes I put the Cavalry all on one flank if the Terrain allows it for a strong flank blow.

Against Parthia: Against Parthia the player has to expect higher losses

3d line: Skirm_____Archer_____Archer_____Archer_____Skirm Skirm. manually target Elephants, Archers manually target Horsearchers
    4th line: Cavalry_Cavalry____General____Cavalry_Cavalry Cavalry avoiding flank blow into 3rd line then finishing off weakend Horse Archers or other Cavalry then outflanking enemy line for charges into rear of enemy Infantry once it closes into melee with 1st Line.

As for Cavalry: Generally I dont use Missile Cavalry because its uselss for melee and charges
    Only exception is the African Legion III Augusta which uses the Numidian
    Missile Cavalry cause its the only recruitable in the area.

Last edited by chris10; November 17, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

For cavalry use tarentine, they have a shield so they can absorb some arrows, and are fast so they can lure their units away from you. Using anything heavier is a waste since it takes 5 seconds MAX for Dahae to chew up cavalry
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy O View Post
    For cavalry use tarentine, they have a shield so they can absorb some arrows, and are fast so they can lure their units away from you. Using anything heavier is a waste since it takes 5 seconds MAX for Dahae to chew up cavalry

Tarentine ??? Missile Cavalry....brrrrrrrrrrr....I dont like runaways.....
    Against Horse Factions without Elephants I simply bring in more Archers.
    5 archers in the 3rd line will clean up any Horsearcher the enemy fields in nothing of time because of their greater range. They dont have to wipe the units out but once the Horse Archer Units are down to 10-15 they hardly cause casualties anymore.
    Enemy Horse Archers will not even get close to my Cavalry as I keep It a fair bit behind my 3rd line to counter (and provoke) an eventual flank raid against my archers but once the enemy Horse Archers switch mode from ranged to melee they wont run away anymore and then my heavier cavalry will finish them off without taking much losses...
    trap..trap..trap...I saw them coming

but thats just my style...there are so many approaches the player can take...sometimes I try new tactics just to see how different unit compositions perform against certain enemys...
    Last edited by chris10; November 17, 2010 at 05:20 AM.