Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Default Re: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Nice guide, and very well laid out +rep

Remarkably similar play style to my own!
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Where is it? The update?

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Limskj View Post
    Great guide! And yes, I am one of those who manage to beat Hannibal right at the beginning.

The route of the Carthaginian army began with the death of Hannibal.
    I got my ass handed to me in the ambush but hey, that's the point.

Next I attacked him and he ran away like a .

Then I killed him in our third battle.

It was pretty great.

I'm about to add gold chevrons to his units... make him actually fear inducing...

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I got wiped out, they've taken Arrettium or is it Arimium, not beaten the rebels yet, but when I have, Hannibal is toast and all the little Hannibal's will be toast too

Everyone:

First, I'm very grateful for the enthusiastic encouragement. This guide will continue in the very near future. But ...

The patch is looming upon us. From what I've read about the patch, it changes gameplay signficiantly ... and is NOT saved game compatible. If I continue this, I still have to start over once the patch comes out. I had hoped it would be out by now, but I competely understand the reason for the delay.

So please bear with me and as soon as the patch is released, I'll resume this. I promise.

~ Dani ~

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to write some topical subjects.
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Ok, my advice, never ever put a really good army on a fleet and forget about it in the middle of the seas. They were supposed to relieve Caralis but got sunk instead. I'll end up just about kicking the rebels out, and maybe getting rid of carthage before the patch. Still fun to play for a bit as Rome.

Libertus

Yeah the patch....Don't think i can finish my current game in time debating on weather or not to wait until i'm done to download the patch.But then again i love new stuff lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Ok, my advice, never ever put a really good army on a fleet and forget about it in the middle of the seas. They were supposed to relieve Caralis but got sunk instead. I'll end up just about kicking the rebels out, and maybe getting rid of carthage before the patch. Still fun to play for a bit as Rome.

I'm really sorry, but I know how you feel. Once, during playtesting, I was moving a full legion, silver chevrons, by ship to Egypt. They were attacked by a Greek fleet (and I thought I'd wiped out Greece!) with a few less boats than my navy. Thinking I'd easily take them, I clicked auto-resolve ... and lost.

I remember the sinking feeling in my stomach as the ships sank into the sea.

Sorry, I do feel your pain.

~ Dani ~

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Brian93's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    Everyone:

First, I'm very grateful for the enthusiastic encouragement. This guide will continue in the very near future. But ...

The patch is looming upon us. From what I've read about the patch, it changes gameplay signficiantly ... and is NOT saved game compatible. If I continue this, I still have to start over once the patch comes out. I had hoped it would be out by now, but I competely understand the reason for the delay.

So please bear with me and as soon as the patch is released, I'll resume this. I promise.

~ Dani ~

Edit: In the meantime, I'm going to write some topical subjects.

Great guide, +rep

Why is there going to be a patch?

Also, one question. In my very first campaigns on Vanilla, and on various mods, I always end up 'over-recruiting'

I'm almost always the Romans (for some reason im obsessed with them, haha) and what I do is after I secure Italy, subdue/conquer Carthage and the Gauls, I blitzkrieg into Greece/Turkey and rake in tons of cash. Then I liberally recruit entire legions and huge numbers of mercenaries. This is all based on 1-turn recruitment. However, what eventually happens is that my army upkeep quickly surpasses my income from fresh conquests. Regardless of how much I develop my economy, by upgrading ports, roads, markets, capturing the Colossus, etc. I can't seem to avoid this mistake.

And now, seeing that RSII is a zero-turn recruitment mod, I get the feeling i'll recruit myself into bankruptcy rather quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love having 0-turn recruitment, but what do you recommend as a general rule of thumb for the number of legions I have at any given time?

(Who guards the guards?) -Juvenal

Quote Originally Posted by Brian93 View Post
    Great guide, +rep

Why is there going to be a patch?

Also, one question. In my very first campaigns on Vanilla, and on various mods, I always end up 'over-recruiting'

I'm almost always the Romans (for some reason im obsessed with them, haha) and what I do is after I secure Italy, subdue/conquer Carthage and the Gauls, I blitzkrieg into Greece/Turkey and rake in tons of cash. Then I liberally recruit entire legions and huge numbers of mercenaries. This is all based on 1-turn recruitment. However, what eventually happens is that my army upkeep quickly surpasses my income from fresh conquests. Regardless of how much I develop my economy, by upgrading ports, roads, markets, capturing the Colossus, etc. I can't seem to avoid this mistake.

And now, seeing that RSII is a zero-turn recruitment mod, I get the feeling i'll recruit myself into bankruptcy rather quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love having 0-turn recruitment, but what do you recommend as a general rule of thumb for the number of legions I have at any given time?
    Thank you.

The patch will fix some "essential" things, including a couple of CTD issues that need to be ironed out.

This is what I do for recruitment and cash balance. During the First Revolution, I recruit four Republican (red shield) legions. I remain at four legions, juggling them as best I can, until I accomplish three things:

1. Fill my building queues as much as possible.

2. Recruit six to eight navies.

3. Get my treasury up to somewhere between 50 and 100k.

During this time, I designate an equal number of Fortified and Economic Regions in mainland Italy. Remember that Economic Regions get a trade bonus; fortified regions get extra units. Usually Arritium, Ariminum, Capua, and Tarentum are fortified (although I tried an experiment with my last campaign and made Tarentum economic and it brought in buckets of money!), and everything else is Economic. Sometimes I make Cannae fortified.

I make one of the islands - the one closest to Carthage, Corsica, I believe - fortified and the other economic.

I take Genoa early on (when I defeat Hannibal) and as soon as the Greeks attack, I take Syracuse and Massilia. Geona become a trade center (Economic) and Syracuse and Massilia, when I take them, are Joint Fortified and Economic. The rest of Sicily is economic.

For my fortified regions, I build like this: temple, barracks, well, temple, blacksmith, barracks, temple, metal import, barracks, small armory, temple, and so on. You get the idea. For economic regions, I'm heavy on the trade buildings, mixed with temples and other crowd pleasers. I save the military stuff for dead last.

My goal is to Arretium and Capua "silver shields" and at least one copper chevron (for unit recruitment) ASAP.

Once I'm there, I begin recruiting four Allied Cohort legions (providing the above conditions are met). Until then, there's a lot of shifting legions back to Rome for retraining. One trick is to merge as many units as you can so that you "repair" a legion in one turn and get it back on the field.

Eight legions is all I need to safely defend my early republic, but by now the Arverni are knocking on Massilia's door about every turn or so, and I am SOOOO sick of Carthage attacking Corsica that I gleefully send four legions to the coast to take Carthage and the two cities right next to it. This nets me enough money to recruit two more legions - one Republican and one Allied - making my total legions ten.

And here I stay until the reforms occur.

In recruiting, I try to keep my treasury around 50k. However, as I close in on the reforms, I have my building queues full and I'm raising my treasure to more than 100k to pay for the legions that will replace my existing one. After the Imperial Reforms, I start building legions to replace existing legions, matching the new "imperial" legions with the republican cohorts, and auxilia legions with allied cohorts. As I recruit a "new" legion, I disband an existing one, thus keeping my military spending to roughly the same.

I hope that helps.

~ Dani ~

Ms. Folly,

Great work. Made the mod for me. Playing RSII on AX has been the best TW experience so far and your guide helped me reach the point of the whole thing, Numbered Legions.
    I would point out that I got CTDs when playing with the Pre-Marian generals at the point of the reforms - When the palace is completed in Askagros, the game will crash if you already have Pre-marian GOs selected. Maybe everyone knew that but I thought I should add to the collective wisdom.

I see lots of informative discussion in this thread and some are indeed good ones. Here are mine.

I like to play as Rome. While expanding my frontier along west Mediterranean coasts, I always keep an eye on what happens in east Mediterranean coastal regions. The reason of doing this is to avoid the existence of "super" empire. I use forced dilomacy mod and diplomatic_stance command to force warring nations forming armstice so that none of them expands too far beyond their historical realm, i.e. no Armenia in Byzantion. Sometimes, if two nations have been at peace with each other for too long, I instigate them into fighting each other so as to reduce their military and economic strength.

How does one use forced diplomacy, exactly?
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Ok, im probably doing something wrong but:
    How do you recruit auxilias? Do you have to have Curia Hostilar in the settlement, because otherwise all i can recruit is ordinary legions, and they are not enough on their own, thanks.

You do need the Curia Hostilia - it represents the reforms of Augustus, which involved the creation of the Auxilia.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by rory o'kane View Post
    How does one use forced diplomacy, exactly?
    If you want a diplomat to accept any proposal you make, just click the "?" once you've engaged in diplomacy. Then click show me how and there you go

Ah ok, thanks, I just thought it was a bit strange that the auxilia could be trained after legions in a settlement, and require citizenship. Surely youd get them from the most advanced and loyal, client states instead?
    Is there any reason why the segmenta legions have almost exactly the same stats as the hamata legions? Surely theyd have a larger armour stat? Maybe in the patch their armour value should be increased and their defense skill value decreased to make sure the hamata legions are completely superceeded?

They aren't completely superseded, because lorica hamata was never completely superseded - they have +1 armour, as i recall, and those with greaves and/or manicae (segmented arm guards - singular: manica) have an extra point on top of that.

The segmenta legion and the hamata legion i compared had the same armour, but the segmenta had +1 defence skill (and possibly +1 attack)
    Are you saying not all legions got the new armour after the reforms?

Well, they did, but legions, cohorts, and centuries were often a mixture of soldiers wearing segmentata and hamata (and sometimes squamata - aka scale). Since the RTW engine doesn't allow for our cohorts to have this more motley appearance, we're compromising by having some of our legions in hamata, and others in segmentata - you'll also notice some differences in the helmets and gladii too - to reflect that despite the impression given by Trajan's Column, the imperial roman legionary wasn't necessarily always seen equipped with Corbridge-pattern lorica segmentata, a mainz-fullham gladius and a Type G Imperial Gallic Helmet.