Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Default Re: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

The First Ten Years, Part II.
    Summer, 537 A.U.C. To Summer, 540 A.U.C.

For the next several turns, there isn't much I can do but recruit legions and add buildings to queues. It's very easy to get impatient, to want to take your legions and defend the Republic, especially when you see the AI taking city after city from you. But such rash decisions can have long term consequences. Just keep telling yourself: “In ten years, we will have it all back.”

Well, almost all of it. We won't get Emporiae back in ten years.

What about Dyrrhachium? Do I hold it or not? I could certainly use the army there to defend the Republic. But I could also use the income that region produces. For that reason, and for psychological reasons, I never abandon it. I always want to believe I'm going to get out from under this darkness, and in time to save Dyrrhachium. Meanwhile, I don't want to give too much of the Republic away.

So I'll hold Dyrrhachium if I can – and maybe just to say I did.

Turn 3 (Summer 537 A.U.C.):

The summer of 537 A.U.C. is the summer of Rebellion. Tone's blue stacks of Rebels appear, pushing my Romans out of two cities: Capua to the north …

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

… and Rhegion to the very south.

Before the AI finishes, Sextus Fabius Maximus is forced to fight for his life outside of Capua, supported by his bodyguards and two Allied cohorts against two stacks of Rebels.

Note these are Rebel units are good units, better even than the Carthaginians, with silver shields and triple chevrons …

… and with very good generals.

The result is predictable.

Sextus Maximus retreats back to Rome. Meanwhile, the news goes from bad to worse. Emporiae …

… and Crotona both have uprisings.

Emporiae I expected, but it seems I overlooked Crotona when adjusting taxes downward. In the face of this crisis, Quintus Maximus is made Dictator of the Republic …

… and I get a history lesson (enjoyable enough) on the Revolts in Italy.

More bad news. The loss of Arretium, Capua, and Rhegion, along with my recruiting of units, has produced a 20k drop in income. And with this comes the unsettling knowledge that, from here on, it only gets worse.

For now, I have to ignore it and focus on my goals. What's first? My boats. Don't forget the boats. Carthage is chasing me, trying to sink my fleet.

So I move my navy – and the army that's on it - closer to Rome.

Note this anomaly: as long as I move that navy every turn, Carthage wont sink it. They'll chase it, but they won't sink it. My point: this becomes a faster and infinitely safer way – rather than trying to march that army across the coast – to get these units to Rome. I've tried marching them twice, lost and weakened them both times in fights. Using my navy, my units arrive at Rome safe and intact.

Next, back to Rome to recruit the final units needed for my first legion. I notice Sextus brought the remains of the two allied units with him. Since I can't retrain them here, I simply disband them and pretend I'm merging the now experienced units into newer, better trained and better equipped Republican cohorts.

However, before I can do this, I'll need to toggle off the automange. If you've not played the Roman campaign before, you should note that after the Rebellion turns on automanage in all your cities. You'll need to turn it off if you don't want the AI to manage your cities for you.

Keep you eye on taxation while doing this. The rebellion changes taxation levels in a couple of cities – Rome, for example. Take a moment to toggle through your cities and make sure they're off automanage and the taxation settings are where you want them. (Unless, of course, you want the AI to manage your cities. I never use automanage since managing these details is the real reason I play RSII.)

When I'm done with that task, I return to Rome to recruit my units. But first, I add a Large Foundry to the building queue in Rome.

If I'm going to defeat Hannibal and put down the Rebellion, I need the best units I can get. As a rule of gameplay, I always try to train and equip all my armies to the fullest extent possible before sending them to fight. To do otherwise seems like a waste to me.

While in Rome, I fill the recruitment queue the remaining units necessary to finish out my first legion. Since I have a spot left, I recruit another spy.

Then it's back to building. Dyrrhachium gets Government Determination, Roman Oppidium Initial, and Wells – all of which go to making the people happy.

I repair the buildings damaged in the riots of Crotona and add Tribal Justice to the queue.

Tarentum also gets Tribal Justice. I do this because it only takes one turn and I know the Rebels won't take the city before the building is complete.

Cannae, Aleria, Caralis, and Lilybaeum also get Tribal Justice. Additionally, Aleria and Caralis both get a Shrine of Jupiter Optimus Maximus which, when built, opens up all the other small temples. I like to build these buildings early on, because the effects help to maintain order in my cities.

My money exhausted, I take a look around the Republic. It doesn't look good. To the north, Arretium and Ariminum are under siege by Hannibal's armies.

To the south, well, the Republic is in rebellion. I move my lone small stack of Romans – those kicked out of Rhegion – into the safety of Crotona and end my turn.

Turn 4 (Winter 537 A.U.C):

Turn 4 begins with Hannibal attacking …

… and taking Arretium.

To the far west, Emporiae revolts, casting Roman authority aside.

No surprises there. My economy is better than I expected, though, which is a surprise. I still have a solid 32k to sink into my building queues.

But then more I get bad news. The Rebels aren't sitting on their hands. They've sieged Cannae and Crotona.

But help is on the way, in the form of my first Roman legion, Legion 1, Quintus Fabius Maximus commanding.

There's probably as many ways to build legions as there are people playing RSII. I've begun building my legions based upon the excellent suggestions of Thoas' RSII Legion Composition and Tracking thread. All four of my first legions will have the same units:

1 General
    8 Republican Cohorts
    4 Triarii
    4 Velite
    2 Equites
    1 Latin Cavalry

(See image above.) My generals are picked by personal preference and a bit of roleplaying. I always pick Quintus Maximus as my first general. He's been appointed by the Senate to solve this crisis, and that includes leading the army. His long-friend and ally, Publius Cornelius Scipio (the elder), is the best general I have and I've gone to all that trouble to bring him back from Iberia. He will be my second general. Varro, as I said in the first post, gets a chance to redeem himself, and Scipio's son, with the same name, is a political appointment (and I'm thinking of him as a future faction leader).

Legion 1 complete, I set it up in a fort directly east of Rome. Placement of this fort is important to me. I want it close enough to Rome that the Rebels from Capua won't be encouraged to attack the city. Right now, all the Rebel armies outnumber my Roman armies, and this doesn't count the armies of Hannibal. Even worse, they're better trained and equipped than my armies. If they attack, and I lose this first legion, the odds are good that I'll lose Rome. If Rebels take Rome, I've no place on the map to recruit good units. It's pretty much game over (okay, maybe not, but the fight back would be tedious to say the least).

On the other hand, if I stick the fort too far out, too close to Capua, the Rebels will just attack it and I'll have to fight my way out of the fort. Maybe I'll win, but the weakening of this legion will delay – and significantly – my ability to retaliate against Hannibal. I need this legion intact and ready to fight.

So I build the fort immediately to the east of Rome, like this:

Good news! My navy makes it to Rome with Scipio's army, which is immediately rushed into Rome for retraining.

Rome now shelters all of Scipio's army, Varro (who I brought the rest of the way to Rome during Turn 2), and Sextus Maximus, who retreated to Rome following his defeat at Capua. Yes, it's getting a bit crowded. For retraining purposes, I focus on Scipio's units and, for now, ignore Varro and Maximus.

That recruitment queue full, I immediately head my ships south, towards Messana, to pick up Scipio the Younger and his units. Remember, it's cheaper to retrain than recruit.

During the last turn, I recruited a spy; I now send him north. And this illuminates a major difference between RTW and RSII: in RSII, your spies are not perfect. In fact, they have a fairly good chance of dying.

As this one does. Immediately. Sigh.

I pour the rest of money into building queues, building mostly shrines to get more buildings in queues. This may not seem all that important, but every little bit you can do to increase income by buildings (via trade and other sources) reduces the need to add tax buildings (which I NEVER build) and prevents your governors from getting ugly traits. Akragas gets sharecrop mining and a trade resource, and I'm happy to see this city's building queue is almost full …

… as is Lilybauem's.

I add one more building, which reduces my treasury to 86 gold, then end the turn.

Turn 5 (Summer 538 A.U.C.):

Immediately upon ending my turn, Carthage attacks Arminum.

My army is a token army; easily defeated. Lucius Aemilius Paullius is dead.

I get a message of a captured Macedonian messenger (surprise, surprise), of Lex Oppia, and I review my financials: still not bad at 28k, although I am slowly losing money.

As I move my ships southwards, towards Messana, avoiding a Greek navy, I see that both Cannae and Crotona are still under siege.

I move my navy as close to Messana as I can, then pull Scipio's army out of the city, leaving just Salintor as governor.

This requires an adjustment in taxes to keep the peace. In return for taking the legion from them, I fill Messana's building queue (after first recruiting units for the elder Scipio's legion). It is now filled with a balance of government, economic, and religious buildings.

Lilybauem's building queue is also full. I use my income to add buildings to as many queues as possible, including Rome.

Then I bring my spy southward to see take a look at Capua, then end my turn.

Turn 6 (Winter, 538 A.U.C.):

Immediately, the Boii approach and offer trade rights. I accept and swap trade map information, as well. Following the Boii, the Averni and Cimbri offer peace. I snap up trade rights and map information from them, too.

Then Cannae is attacked …

… and taken.

Croton is also attacked …

… and taken. Gnaeus Servilius Geminus is also dead.

The only good news is a really good husband for Fadia, with a balance of influence, command and management skills.

Obviously, with the fall of Cannae and Crotona, my income has dropped dramatically.

After loading the younger Scipio's units onto my navy, I ship them back to within sight of Rome.

In Rome, I finish recruiting the elder Scipio's legion. Since I have some room left, I recruit another navy. My initial navies are made up of two trimenes and two bimenes – a group strong enough to defeat most of the navies I'll encounter at this stage in the game and which can easily be recruited in one turn. I'm particularly concerned about that Greek navy staring my navy down.

I pour the rest of my money – which isn't much - into Rome's building queue and end my turn.

Turns 7-9 (Summer 539 A.U.C. To Summer 540 A.U.C.):

From now on, it's a matter of doing what I can with the money have. In the summer of 539 A.U.C., a Carthaginian navy appears to try and block my small navy's entrance into Rome (with the younger Scipio and his army on board). I disembark the army and bring it towards Rome, then attack with both of my navies …

… getting a clear victory, and my first victory of any kind over Carthage.

Now that I have two full legions, I move Legion 1 (Maximus) to immediately west of Rome, blocking the bridge.

Legion 2 (commanded by the elder Scipio) replaces Legion 1 in the fort east of Rome.

I move Scipio's (the younger) units into Rome to be retrained and handed over to Varro. This is cheaper and easier on my economy than trying to recruit new units. My three family members: the younger Scipio, Gnaeus Calatinus (acquired recently by marriage), and Sextus Maximus move to another fort south of Rome.

For the next two turns, I finish recruiting Varro's legion, or Legion 3. This is my first "silver shield" legion, or the first legion that will get the advantage of the Large Foundry. However, recruitment is now a problem as the increases in military costs combined with the loss of territories has reduced my income to the point that I can no longer recruit units easily

This is where all the money (buildings) I put in building queues come into use. By removing buildings from queues, I free up enough money to finish recruiting my third legion. Of course, I'm not doing any building during this time.

By the summer of 540 A.U.C., Gaius Varro's legion is one turn from being complete – but to accomplish this, I continue to remove buildings from queues and my treasury is reduced to 18 gold.

At the beginning of Turn 10 (Winter 540 A.U.C.), I will have three full, intact legions. I've drained about as much money from my economy as I can hope to get. The time has come to drive Hannibal out of Italy.

The First Ten Years is continued in Part III – The War With Hannibal
    Last edited by Aristotle's Folly; October 13, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Quote Originally Posted by Apio Claudio View Post
    Dude just one thing why don't you take another six hundred soldiers from your cities neasr hannibal and make them join the battle? When you do that start the battle let the computer control them and let the attack hannibasl first then you engage against his army with your full stak, i always do this and i win the battle loosing somethinf like 400 hundred men and killing all of hannibal troops and yet e next turn profit 57 thousand denarii, i think it's a besta tactic. Besides this i always remove my army from emporiae and engage Massila where I conquer the city, it's a far better start
    Yes, you can do that. You can also use your 5001 to recruit units, as I point out in Part I. If you do, then you should be able to push Hannibal out of Italy in about three turns, right?

Why don't I do this? Well, it has to do with what I understand was the intent of the RSII design team, as explained to me by Tone. The original design is for Hannibal to ambush Nepos, just as he did historically. There are several ways you can avoid that ambush: you can not attack Hannibal or even move that army, and in something like 6 times out of 10, he'll just wander away and attack Arretium. That's what I was doing during playtesting when Tone explained that, no, that was supposed to be an ambush.

So I play it as an ambush. Starts the campaign with a historic note, sets the stage for the later rebellion, and I have a bit of fun coming back from the dead.

~ Dani ~

P.S. In my opinion, the only person who should every be referred to as "Dude" is Jeffery Lebowski.
    Last edited by Aristotle's Folly; October 13, 2010 at 04:56 PM.

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Ahhh His Dudeness...

This guide is really great, it really makes me think about planning my moves instead of reacting on things happening in my campaign.

Great guide for those first few turns!
    Much different than how my campaign turned out. I, for one, had absolutely no idea Emporiae was even a city until turn 10 or so, so I wasted a lot of money. If only I had had your guide, heh.
    This also has shown how different this game become on hard difficulty. I play on Medium Battle/Hard Campaign (I feel this is a bit more realistic; higher quality units WILL win in a straight-up fight), and beat Hannibal with the army stationed adjacent to his. The Rebellion was annoying, but I had plenty of men and money.
    Anyway, as I said, great guide! Looking forward to the rest of it.
    Alea Iacta Est (The Die is Cast) - Gaius Julius Caesar
    An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
    We will either find a way, or make one - Hannibal Barca

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Can someone make a Seleucid Survival Guide like this one?!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    I like 0 turn recruitment, but those that play 1 turn recruitment are every bit as passionate about their choice. One doesn't necessarily make the game easier or harder - it's just different choice of strategies.

I'm playing hard/hard in my campaign. Don't know about VH. Maybe I should give it a try sometime.

No, Large unit size is default. To change to Huge, go to Options->Graphics->Unit Size. IIR, you have to make the change BEFORE starting your campaign.

@ Everyone else: Sorry, but one of my coworkers is sick tonight so I'm pulling a full day here at the library. It will be midnight before I get off, then a train ride to my apartment, and so on.

If I get some free time before I get off, I'll try to post the second installment. If not, it will be tomorrow. Sorry.

~ Dani ~

~ Dani ~
    Hey Aristotle ,

1. well you make choose the 0 turn recruitment then.
    2. i may try VH/H as it is recommended in release thread by the developers
    3. To go for huge unit size, i guess it makes battlefields more interesting and attractive because
    of all the slaughter. i'll go for huge unit size then

thanks for the help buddy and don't work too hard at the library. and magnificent work with survival guide, it's almost like the AAR

i may try VH/H
    I hope you mean Hard campaign, Very Hard battles by that, which is the hardest option. Very Hard campaign is actually easier than Hard campaign.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

A question about forts. Do you use a lot of those forts and if you do where do you build them and do you keep them occupied? I never really thought about them before.
    Last edited by SgtPepper; October 14, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtPepper View Post
    A question about forts. Do you use a lot of those forts and if you do where do you build them and do you keep them occupied? I never really thought about them before.
    Using Forts in RSII.

This is an excellent topic, since I use forts extensively. I have a couple of playing habits that require the use of forts (some people might call them rules).

First, when I recruit a legion, like Legion 1, I never disband it. It becomes a permanent part of the game. This forces me to only recruit legions that I can safely afford. So the four legions I'll create to meet this crisis will be with me until the end of my game.

Second, I try not to keep a legion inside a city, unless it's an auxilia supply legion suppprting an Imperial legion or if the city needs a legion to mantain control. Instead, I have city units or garrissons, made up of a governor, two Allied Cohorts and two allied skirmishers (a total of five units). All cities get the same basic garrison.

Because of these two habits, I use forts as the homes for my legions, as a means of protection, and to manage my reinforcements.

Forts as Homes for my Legions.

As soon as a legion is recruited, it is removed from the city and placed in a fort. Since forts cost money, and I don't like to spend money, I build forts carefully and try not let them be torn down. When the crisis is over, I usually designate four forts as homes my four legions. This is where the legion stays when it's not fighting. Usually they're on the border and usually in front of a pass or river crossing. If the legion has to leave the fort, for any reason, another unit or general or, in some cases, a spy is stationed there to prevent the fort from being destoryed.

Sometimes forts get moved, just like in real life. Most of us know the Rubicorn story, right? Well, as the Republic grows, my legions get moved further away, until all of them are placed in forts at the edge of the republc. Cities are protected by their garrison units. Cities are required (my law) to have a governor at all times and a garrison.

One exception is for preatorian legions. Once in a while I'll put one close to Rome.

Every ten years or so, I try to move legions around a bit. No real reason except just a bit of realism.

Forts as a Means of Protection.

Forts offer a means of protection for legions. Move a legion as far it can go into enemy territory and then build a fort, is my general rule. The AI attacks ... they can only seige the fort.

Some people feel this is ... cheating ... or poor playing practices. They would argue I should move my legions deep into enemy territory and just let the AI whack away at them. Right. (These are many of the same people who say, "You can sink any ship that's empty, but if it's full of enemy units, you have to let it pass." Seriously? "Oh, you're coming to invade Rome? Let me get out of your way ... NOT!")

I try to build forts at the end of every turn, unless I'm broke. It just the way I play.

Forts as a Means of Managing Reinforcements.

I have a rather ... unique ... odd ... way of handling reinforcements.

When I recruit a legion, it rarely enters a city again. One exception: if a legion has been particularly successful, I'll move it to Rome and retrain all the units ... as an honor for what it's done. Note, this may not restore numbers to any units that cannot be recruited from Rome (obviously, it will rebuild all units that can be recruited from Rome); it will only add armor, experience, and religious ("temple") enhancements - if any.

Once a legion is recruited, it begins to lose men as it fights. At the end of every battle, I merge or consolidate my units, moving from right to left (so the second unit after my general is merged with the first - e.g. the first cohort in Republican and Imperial armies - until that unit is at full strength. Then the third unit is merged with the second and so on. I end up with X number of full units and Y number of partial units (one for each unit type in the legion).

Then I go to a city and recruit to fill the holes, including the partial holes. Example:

Full Legion:

1 General
    8 Republican cohorts
    4 Trarii
    4 Velite
    2 Equites
    1 Latin cavalry

Legion, after battle and merging:

1 General
    5 Republican cohorts, full strength
    1 Republican cohort, half strength
    3 Trarii, full strength
    1 Trarii, half strength
    2 Velite, full strength
    1 Velite, half strength
    1 Equite, full strength
    1 Equite, half strength
    1 Latin cavalry, half strength

I would then go to a city and recruit: 4 Republican cohorts, 1 Trarii, 2 Velite, 1 Equite, and 1 Latin cavalry to reinforce the legion. These are marched to the legion, merged with the units, and the extras are placed in forts that I think of as supply forts.

Supply forts are located far enough from the borders or the fighting that they're rarely attacked. During the long years of border fighting with the Averni, I keep a supply fort just south of Arretium to help reinforce my legions fighting along that border. During crisis periods or times of significant fighting, I might recruit extra units to keep in a supply fort near those areas. This would include Imperial legions and their first cohorts, as well as auxilia cohorts.

When playing with Imperial legions, I usually recruit in sets of three or four: one Imperial or named legion, one or two auxilia supporting legions, and one supply legion, whose purpose is NOT to fight (but kind of represents that crowd of hangers-on that would follow a legion around - cooks, tradesmen, um, entertainment specialists ... )

Other Things to Know About Forts.

Forts cost money. Everyone know that, I'm sure, just a reminder.

I've read some people use forts as retirment villages. Build them in a sunny spot, retire all your old leaders, spies, diplomats there, wait for them to die. Seems like a waste of money to me, but I thought I'd mention it.

Generals in forts get neither the benefits or the problems of living in a city, including traits and ancilliaries. Keeping your general in a fort for a long period of time may actually hurt them, since they won't gather ancilliaries like others city generals.

I hope that helps. If you suggestions, please speak up.

~ Dani ~
    Last edited by Aristotle's Folly; October 14, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

@SgtPepper don't use the report button to reply to posts. That's only for use when a user is breaking the TOS. /apple
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

This is so great, I have to admit I've never build forts ever, not in the vanilla version or any other mod. This is a great insight on how to properly plan a campaign by using everything the game gives you.
    Keep up the good work.

Edit: Aye sorry about that, figured it out when I pressed the send report button.

Wonderful guides! How do you use legions to secure provences? I.E. When I capture Spain, I ussually leave liego IV Hispania to kill rebels or free people. What's your take on that?

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

I've read some people use forts as retirment villages. Build them in a sunny spot, retire all your old leaders, spies, diplomats there, wait for them to die. Seems like a waste of money to me, but I thought I'd mention it.

That is what I usually do. It is for role playing and intentionally adding some expenses to the empire. As generals/governors retire at about 55, they get an apprentice (general, governor or young family member) to train at about 48. When the old guy retires to a villa (fort) he hands over his staff (as in real life) to the new guy. The loss of income and drop in happiness that sometimes results from a new guy taking over also adds a bit of realism and depth.

Same for spies, assassins and diplomats. They "share" knowledge with trainees and retire. Money spend ("wasted") in this way adds to difficulty and micro-management. It all depends on your own imagination and preferences.

Forts are great for protection, strategic blocking and role playing, as AF has mentioned. If you want to add governmental expenses you can use forts as early museums (I've got three )with an old or exotic unit, gladiator school, whatever.

Even today, politicians are forever stealing money from the military using all sorts of excuses. Nothing new.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Lupus; October 14, 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Why Autoresolve hannibal? I win against him every time.

1. Bring 2 companion Cav from souther city to your army.
    2. Attack him.
    3. Flank his army with ur cav and triaria for support.
    4. Find Hannibal on the battlfield and charge 2 cav units directly towards his horses.
    5. Kill Hannibal.
    6. Mob up and win battle
    7. Easy win

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXGemina View Post
    Why Autoresolve hannibal? I win against him every time.

1. Bring 2 companion Cav from souther city to your army.
    2. Attack him.
    3. Flank his army with ur cav and triaria for support.
    4. Find Hannibal on the battlfield and charge 2 cav units directly towards his horses.
    5. Kill Hannibal.
    6. Mob up and win battle
    7. Easy win
    Thanks you.

I cant criticize this thread or i get warned by the admins--

but its good to im not the only one that thinks this is--lame

You should be the one writing this, not someone who cant even beat Hannibal

Do it -- show her how its done --

Corry, cant say any more-- i think she datin one of the admins lol

Okay I think you're missing the point here. Who says she can't win the Hannibal fight? I must admit I did it on m/m while being a total noob. She's just RPing here which makes for a harder start and keeps up with the historical struggle the Romans had to become a great empire. If you defeat Hannibal the first turn and then steamroll everyone else what's the fun in that?

And even if someone couldn't defeat Hannibal the first turn doesn't make them unfit to write an detailed guide about starting up your economy and her or his thoughts about it.

You really do seem to have a problem with this thread but insist on keeping posting in here. Please by all means start up your own guide on how to win in RSII, the more the merrier. This guide is and will be great for new players and maybe not so much for experienced people like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtPepper View Post
    Okay I think you're missing the point here. Who says she can't win the Hannibal fight? I must admit I did it on m/m while being a total noob. She's just RPing here which makes for a harder start and keeps up with the historical struggle the Romans had to become a great empire. If you defeat Hannibal the first turn and then steamroll everyone else what's the fun in that?

And even if someone couldn't defeat Hannibal the first turn doesn't make them unfit to write an detailed guide about starting up your economy and her or his thoughts about it.

You really do seem to have a problem with this thread but insist on keeping posting in here. Please by all means start up your own guide on how to win in RSII, the more the merrier. This guide is and will be great for new players and maybe not so much for experienced people like yourself.
    who says she cant win? She does--second post

Im an expert on tactics not on this game--I wnt to learn how to WIN at this game not play at it

People say i dont like her cause shes a girl or whatever--I just want someone else to do it--not her

AND NOT BECAUSE SHES A GIRL

Quote Originally Posted by RoberttheBlack View Post
    Im an expert on tactics not on this game--I wnt to learn how to WIN at this game not play at it
    Erm... If you think that she isn't doing a good job and you want to learn how to win at RSII I have a great idea!

Stop trolling and go and play the game! That way, you learn how to play RSII in a practical way and you don't clog up this rather good thread with unhelpful comments.

Carry on Aristotle's Folly. While this isn't how I play my games, I am quite enjoying seeing how someone else plays theirs. Especially the fort thoughts.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Quote Originally Posted by RoberttheBlack View Post
    who says she cant win? She does--second post

People say i dont like her cause shes a girl or whatever--I just want someone else to do it--not her

AND NOT BECAUSE SHES A GIRL
    The roman campaign is made so that you should get ambushed by Hannibal and you should lose that battle. Only a military genius should be bale to win that battle when playing on the harder difficulties and most should lose even on medium.

Brining in more troops to the stack or not getting ambushed is doing it wrong (even tough all players are free to play as they like to, that's why we didn't script the battle).

Accusing one for being bad just because they do as it's meant to be is just stupid.
    Also stop criticizing others, write your own guide instead. Why is it so important for you to feel that you are better than other players?
    I'm sure that many people have and will learn allot of things from Dani's posts, heck I have played RTW since it came out and played RS 2 since it's early beta stage (due to the fact that I'm one of the developers), and I have learnt allot of new tricks during that time.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    The roman campaign is made so that you should get ambushed by Hannibal and you should lose that battle. Only a military genius should be bale to win that battle when playing on the harder difficulties and most should lose even on medium.
    I do the reinforcement battle normally and beat the Carthagian over the wings. Now, I am not sure after what you have just said, if that influences the tigger of future events. Does making the Carthagian to lose the battle interfer with events later in the game?

And I would like to say, this is a great mod with a lot of gameplay ambiance.
    Last edited by Molly Norris; October 15, 2010 at 02:54 AM.