Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Default Re: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

This is AF's guide so guide so we bow down to her but a couple of observations:

- Spain can become a headache if you leave too much of it the natives, so try to keep 'nearer' Spain well maintained. It was a Roman problem for endless decades so you either take it or keep it well controlled be force. This mod punishes laisse faire regional control and the AI is inherently aggressive (RTW code throw-back).

- Not aware of the unit stat issues in Italy, but Rome did not grant citizenship to Southern Italy until after 80 BC (c. 670 AUC). I try to keep to this, but obviously it is up to the player

- The tendency is towards everyone in the Balkans and Greece being powerless in the face of Macedon. As you can beat Macedon (but it gets really boring), I tend to give Sparta and Dacia (along with Germania and Parthia) loads of money - admittedly cheating - to keep the interest alive. Otherwise, destroy what remains of Greece, keep Sparta happy and destroy Macedon by conquering their trading cities on the Aegean.

- Force diplomacy for the Pergamon inheritance and begin the Mithradates campaign against the near East...

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    This is AF's guide so guide so we bow down to her but a couple of observations:

- Spain can become a headache if you leave too much of it the natives, so try to keep 'nearer' Spain well maintained. It was a Roman problem for endless decades so you either take it or keep it well controlled be force. This mod punishes laisse faire regional control and the AI is inherently aggressive (RTW code throw-back).

- Not aware of the unit stat issues in Italy, but Rome did not grant citizenship to Southern Italy until after 80 BC (c. 670 AUC). I try to keep to this, but obviously it is up to the player

- The tendency is towards everyone in the Balkans and Greece being powerless in the face of Macedon. As you can beat Macedon (but it gets really boring), I tend to give Sparta and Dacia (along with Germania and Parthia) loads of money - admittedly cheating - to keep the interest alive. Otherwise, destroy what remains of Greece, keep Sparta happy and destroy Macedon by conquering their trading cities on the Aegean.

- Force diplomacy for the Pergamon inheritance and begin the Mithradates campaign against the near East...
    First, no one has to bow down to me. Ever.

As I've played RSII through all these months now, I've tried a number of different starts. Some work better than others, some are just different. I think it's better to understand the principles of the game and how they work, so you can adapt to whatever the game throws at you.

One of the things I try to keep in mind as I'm playing is the future imperial reforms. Nothing is more frustrating than triggering the reforms and realizing you don't have any units to recruit. And, yes, I've done that once or twice.

This is why I try to control the following areas: Nuevo Carthago, Carthago, Syracuse, Massilia, Arritium, and Seonea (sp?). If I control these areas, I can start recruiting legions in order: Legion 1, Legion 2, Legion 3, Legion 3, Legion 5 . . . and so on.

I trigger the change around 615-630. I keep my expansion to a minimum and those last years are always nail-biters. By then, the Averni are attacking, the Boii are attacking, the Gaelleaics are attacking. I'm fighting two or three battles a turn sometimes.

It's lovely fun.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Default Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Hi Dani, your post is great so far. It definitely guide me a good start when I first played the RSII. Interesting! A couple days ago, when I come back and play the game again, I found a better way to save my dear Nepos (I tend to maintain the family of Nepos and Geminius for they bring up Senator decendants). You may want to use 1 troop of Calvary in Rome to attack Hannibal, that troop lose indeed and withdraw to Arretium. Also by that auto solve batte, Hannibal lead his army move forward a little bit so that your General Nepos can fly away. The other way, we do nothing then Hannibal will take settlement Arretium the next turn, a couple turns later, there will be a chance to catch him staying alone in the captured settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Works View Post
    I don't have enough money to buy peace. I've looked at Forced Diplomacy but I seen posts where people say it doesn't work - you use it one turn, then the next they attack you anyway.
    Hi Kenny,

I understand your situation, but I would recommend "Never give money to your enemy to beg for peace." Answer them by sudden attacking forcefully and massively. Eventhough we cannot control their land, destroy their barrack and make them take time to get the city back later. You will also have more time to replenish troops. Dani has contributed a brilliant idea of making use of fort and I am also applying the technique for my campaign.

We cannot make war to all nations around, yet our neighbors will attack us any time available as they need to expand their territory. So, you may easy make peace and trade with nation which are far away from you since they won't think of you a threatening force. For example, I keep trading with Macedon after being seized Dyrratium and with Cathage after killing Hannibal plus conquering Genoa and taking back Arretium. Alliance bring no benefits, just Trading fill Rome up with money.

There would be a time soon when Avermani and those Gallic, Spain, German tribes allies together to attack you as I am suffering for now. Kill them one by one, but do not march your army on their common border for you may have a bigger chance being attacked by both enemy sides.

Hope that can help and nice to share interest in RSII with all of you.

Thanks,
    Tu

I am not sure if there are any friend want to have an easier start up although it's not the correct flow of Roman history. I would suggest a way to bring up strong economy within 2 first turns :
    Turn 1:
    1- Assign 1 general to each city, note that the one who have more Management skill (the book icon) should govern high pop. city.
    2- Use 1 troop of Calvary in Rome directly attack Hannibal to make Nepos get escaped from his ambush.
    3- Disband all allied cohort, calvary; just keep the public cohort in in Rome, those of Eporia, Dyrratium, Silician province should be disband too.
    4- Then Paullus should govern Arretium, Nepos for Rome, bring Scipio the Elder back to Capua, Geminius will take Quadmaster (10% trade income or sth) of Varro and move to either of 2 cities in Southern Italy.
    5- Raise tax to highest in every cities, except Eporia and Dyrratium for they may rebel if suffer medium tax rate or above.
    6- Build Shrine of Jupiter to cool down the unrest in each cities.
    By the way, we cannot avoid the First rebellion so far, thus recruit 1 Ballista in Rome, 1 troop of Campania Calvary in Capua and 1 ship from Messana to return Scipio the Younger back to Italy

Turn 2:
    After sudden attack Hannibal, he likely return to Genoa without assaulting Arretium, so Paullus should be okay and contribute the most denarri from the city.
    7- Scipio the Yonger return to govern a city in Southern Italy instead (turn 2); He is to replace Varro to govern a city. Varro with some mercenary may distract Rebel in far southern Italy.
    8- Next, you are going to build just Ceres shrine to add 10% tax bonus in all Rome.

So, that way make you have more than 45K of denarri for further builds. Remember you will have rebellion sooner or later, but you should use the denarri to retrain Public cohort and take back those settlement with your ballista as soon as possible. Those Rome Rebels will devast any captured city. I am not a strategic master, but I would prefer myself conquer others with strong economic support.

Thanks.

Thanks mod for reminding me! Have a nice day
    Please try not to double/triple post, merged your posts
    Last edited by ricandy144; November 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Merged triple posts

Vioras's Avatar Civis

You are so lucky at start, carthage is aggresive.
    If i lose against Hannibal he always retreat to genoa, and doing nothing rest of his live.
    How can I get a aggresive carthage too. That should make the game more fun for me

Who would u attack first the Macedonia on their home turf or all war with carthage

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Hasn't been on in 2 months.

Who would u attack first the Macedonia on their home turf or all war with carthage
    Well,I say go invade North Africa if you can to cripple Carthage.This means they have to fight a war for their life with the Gallaeci (Spelling?) in Spain with less funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    P.S. In my opinion, the only person who should every be referred to as "Dude" is Jeffery Lebowski.
    He's not just Dude. He's TheDude, dude.

can someone tell how can i change the weapon from the bear warrior from the cimbri faction . because he use a piece of wood and i would like a axe .

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Please, if you have a question ask it as a new thread, don't just tack it on somewhere. That does not belong here. I'm closing this now. AF, if you want to add to it at anytime let me know and we can re-open or post it fo you.