Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

NerZhulen's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Playing Rome in RSII – A Basic Survival Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    No I raided Carthago it rebelled and I guess they marched all the way to Massalia through North Africa , Spain and Gaul conquering everyone on the way.

Thankfully they did not go the other way or there would be no one left.
    this is crazy...

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by NerZhulen View Post
    this is crazy...
    Crazy that the Rebels can beat every AI faction or crazy that I did not notice it happening?

Marcus Publius's Avatar Miles

There is no secrets about this game.It's modified vanilla game.It stilll uses the same engine have same restrictions ect.

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

So is it possible to make a Seleucid strategy guide?

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

The title says this is a basic survival guide. It shows you just that. If you can handle Rome in your campaigns good enough (like NerZhulen and Robert, I presume), why would you read and then mock it? If you can do better, then lets see you do it.
    If you want some "secrets", then just play the game and find them out yourself. The mod was designed to be fun to play, not fun to cheat through.
    This guide was meant for those who struggle through their first turns. If you don't like it, fine. But that doesn't give you the right to "attack" the writter. AF was good and patient enough to try and help you, by her own accord in her free time... keep that in mind before you about it.

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

RoberttheBlack, you are messing up a good thing. If you do not like it, please post somewhere else.

I vote for the continuance of this thread. As long as people are finding it valuable and AF is willing then all is good.

Aristotle's Folly, +rep for the commitment and time spend. I'll keep following your guide until I work up the courage and the time
    to take on the multi-stacks and then some more. I'll have to kill the exams before the Barbarians...

Thank you and well done.
    Last edited by Lupus; October 12, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice tutorial, Aristotle's Folly. I'm just curious, why do you advice in your SURVIVAL guide disbanding some of the most important units in the game? Greek slingers that is?

I for one are eagerly waiting for part II. Keep up the good work AF! And for the people who don't like this thread: I take it you don't have a gun to your head, if not don't follow this thread if you don't like it.

I'm at work right now but have been following this thread throughout the day.

First, thanks for all the encouragement.

Second, the last thing this forum needs is a flame war. If you look at this thread, from about post 18 onward, many of the posts have nothing to do with original intent of the thread. Some of them have no other intent than to bait me into an argument.

I offer this compromise: My "tutorial" on the first ten years has four parts. I will post these four parts over the next couple of days. At that time, the members of this forum can decide if this thread has value. If not, then I'll stop and willingly. If there is interest in my continuing, then I'll do that.

If people are upset because of the level of detail, I'm sorry but I think the first ten years are critical and I did go into detail.

@ RoberttheBlack: At the risk of sounding paranoid, I can't help but feel Toluas is right. You seem to have come to this forum to attack me personally. Regardless of whether that is true or not, I'll only respond to constructive comments about my posts. Everything else will be ignored.

@ intel: Yes, those units are very important. I think they're over-powered and I don't need them is my first answer. But mostly, from the beginning, I like to limit myself to four Roman legions, and add other units local units later. It's a personal preference.

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Enough. If you don't like something about a mod, then offer helpful criticism to make it better, but one thing that will never stand are insults. Not now, not ever. I will be watching this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NerZhulen View Post
    you are talking about the 2nd rebelion, I would understand a guide for that
    but for starting the game?...
    This isn't an AAR, it's exactly what the title says it is: a guide. If you don't need it, don't diss it. Maybe some people aren't as mighty as you are at beating this game/mod. So please.. keep these kinds of comments to yourself. Same goes to RoberttheBlack, go make your own, or cram it. All you've been doing on these forums so far was to act superior and discourage people.

I personally enjoyed reading this guide, despite not having a whole lot of trouble with my campaign. But I've been playing this game for years, and I know RSII pretty well.

And don't you even think of stopping this tutorial, Dani. Once this is completed, I hope it gets linked to a pinned thread, just like I proposed with the Auxilia Legion system thread. Keep it up.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Dani please continue. I'm sure many newcomers find this really helpful.

To the ones that are acting rude and just bluntly stupid, well I only got one thing to tell them and that is leave our forum.
    You are free to express yourself in our forum, but not in a way that it can hurt other people. I don't care if you are an ex military or god himself (Steve Jobs ), you have no right to be disrespectful to any other member.
    I will personally make sure that anyone that is doing that from now one get's banned from the site or at least our forums. Be nice or leave.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Seems like this concept is kind of like what I'm doing over in my thread, except this is far more detailed and gives step-by-step explanations that make it easier for the player to follow, whereas mine just gives them basic ideas.

Great work, Aristotle's Folly.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Yes, this mod is awesome, truly. These are my answers:

1. By far the biggest difference is the time it takes your game to develop. Since it takes both you, and the AI, one turn to recruit most of your units, you cannot recruit a legion in two turns - or one if you have two developed cities. Using 1 turn recruitment, it would take many years to develop a single legion! The game develops slowly and the turns go by quickly.

0 turn recruitment allows both you and the AI to recruit many units in just one turn - up to 9 units in any one queue. The result is a very fast, very aggressive game, with lots of battles. Lots. Lots.

Tone has made a couple of submods that adjust this in various ways. As I said, my preferred version increases unit costs by 15% (making it more expensive for you and the AI to recruit units) and increasing weapon lethality by 15% (making for shorter, faster battles).

2. H/H is recommended by the RSII team for experienced players. M/M is recommended for players who are new to the game. However, I find Medium on the campaign map forces the player to attack, as the AI won't attack as much on that setting. VH has a strange feature that produces more money for the player as well as the AI, and is, I believe, considered to be in between M and H. I've not played VH before so I don't really know.

3. Large unit size is optional. Many people play with huge unit sizes. I suppose huge unit sizes are more realistic, but they do make the battles longer (simple math, you have more people to kill). When you start getting three or four battles a turn, those huge unit sizes become frustrating (at least for me). And large size is what I'm used to.

I hope that helps.

~ Dani ~
    Thank you very much Aristotle, it does help . Plus your guide is awesome. Good job

So from what you said 0 turn recruitment is the best by far?
    And for the second answer i should play either H/H or VH/h maybe
    Huge unit size, does it come with default settings or it has to be changed later?

Thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus Severus View Post
    Thank you very much Aristotle, it does help . Plus your guide is awesome. Good job

So from what you said 0 turn recruitment is the best by far?
    And for the second answer i should play either H/H or VH/h maybe
    Huge unit size, does it come with default settings or it has to be changed later?

Thanks buddy
    I like 0 turn recruitment, but those that play 1 turn recruitment are every bit as passionate about their choice. One doesn't necessarily make the game easier or harder - it's just different choice of strategies.

I'm playing hard/hard in my campaign. Don't know about VH. Maybe I should give it a try sometime.

No, Large unit size is default. To change to Huge, go to Options->Graphics->Unit Size. IIR, you have to make the change BEFORE starting your campaign.

@ Everyone else: Sorry, but one of my coworkers is sick tonight so I'm pulling a full day here at the library. It will be midnight before I get off, then a train ride to my apartment, and so on.

If I get some free time before I get off, I'll try to post the second installment. If not, it will be tomorrow. Sorry.

~ Dani ~

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Dude just one thing why don't you take another six hundred soldiers from your cities neasr hannibal and make them join the battle? When you do that start the battle let the computer control them and let the attack hannibasl first then you engage against his army with your full stak, i always do this and i win the battle loosing somethinf like 400 hundred men and killing all of hannibal troops and yet e next turn profit 57 thousand denarii, i think it's a besta tactic. Besides this i always remove my army from emporiae and engage Massila where I conquer the city, it's a far better start

Tesla's Avatar Senator

^ I also did the same thing, very nice guide I also started a new campaign as Rome though I'm further in actual turns it's nice too see how others are playing (and I might move my army back out of spain)

MkdRanger's Avatar Tiro

cant wait for the next part

Chicken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Apio Claudio View Post
    Dude just one thing why don't you take another six hundred soldiers from your cities neasr hannibal and make them join the battle? When you do that start the battle let the computer control them and let the attack hannibasl first then you engage against his army with your full stak, i always do this and i win the battle loosing somethinf like 400 hundred men and killing all of hannibal troops and yet e next turn profit 57 thousand denarii, i think it's a besta tactic. Besides this i always remove my army from emporiae and engage Massila where I conquer the city, it's a far better start
    The OP is female
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

Nice Dani. Good approach with your detail and I like the way you think.
    “Sure I am of this, that you have only to endure to conquer.” - Winston Churchill.