Thread: memory leak?

Default memory leak?

After a while (while playing) the game becomes "heavier", when i try to alt-tab, the pc starts to load (hdd at 100%) something and the game is non-responsive. also this happens when i try to play a battle (not auto-resolve). I have to turn off the computer to be able to restart the game. It loads for 20-30 minutes. I think its a memory leak.
    My pc has 4gb ram, also 2gb swap file.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Please help me!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Squid; October 31, 2010 at 09:32 PM.

chris10's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: memory leak?

Quote Originally Posted by terzer View Post
    After a while (while playing) the game becomes "heavier", when i try to alt-tab, the pc starts to load (hdd at 100%) something and the game is non-responsive. also this happens when i try to play a battle (not auto-resolve). I have to turn off the computer to be able to restart the game. It loads for 20-30 minutes. I think its a memory leak.
    My pc has 4gb ram, also 2gb swap file.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Please help me!
    Thanks!
    well,dont know...but..vanilla RTW had a memory leak yes but
    If you have to restart your computer it sounds more that your RAM does not clear up properly...so maybe the problem is your memory and not the leak anyway..something which loads 20 minutes cant be right...why not just lower the settings and dont mess with the exe...
    I play on alex.exe as well on medium settings and RTW does not use more than 2gb ram...no lag..not unresponsive...not a single CTD...
    alt+tab does not work for me either in win7..game minimizes properly but when I try to bring the game back up it wont work...I have to delete the process manually with the taskmanager
    Last edited by Squid; November 01, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Have you tried using GameBooster as well? Are you sure there is no background process grabbing CPU/memory? I would guess not given how it happens but always worth asking.

Also, do you have any other problems that are not specific to the game? It sounds like it could be a hard disk problem too and may not just be memory, I've had disks die which started to perform very slowly as the first sign it was on it's way out.

I'm assuming you have defragged the disk etc but always worth asking.
    Last edited by Squid; October 31, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

no, my hdd is new (2 months) i have no problem with other programs or games. i played with the settings of the swap file and for now is ok (i put the automatic size). It's better 2gb fixed size, but then it crashes...
    Last edited by Squid; October 31, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I've found that by playing in 'windowed' mode (using the -ne switch as mentioned in the Release Thread) that the interface appears to 'slow down' a lot.

I've stopped using it for that reason. I was having a problem that when the game was started the screens would keep minimizing so I thought 'windowed mode' may help this. I think my minimizing problem may have been caused by Firefox being open in the background - it usually is and I've had no problems before so I presume it may be something in forefox or one of the web sites that I had open.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I found the problem, but l have no solution. Sorry for the bump.
    When l play the battles under 800x600 resolution the game loads fine. But above that res. sometimes the game loads for 5-6 minutes and then crashes.

I found the problem, but l have no solution. Sorry for the bump.
    When l play the battles under 800x600 resolution the game loads fine. But above that res. sometimes the game loads for 5-6 minutes and then crashes.
    What GPU do you own? sorry if you have mentioned that before.

Also i think RTW is a DX9.0c based game so are you sure you have updated your DX9 drivers? as on windows like 7 and vista they don't come by default as 7 has DX11 and Vista DX10 by default.

8400gs. I think l installed DX9c in the past, but l will install it again.
    Although l think dx10,11 should support dx9 effects and run it...

Although l think dx10,11 should support dx9 effects and run it...
    No you are wrong DX is not a effect. Simple eg would be from a game like say FarCry II. So in graphics options we can change anything but if we select DX9 to DX 10 or vice-versa it demands a restart of the game for it to work.
    Why?
    Now you know.
    For more detailed info click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    No you are wrong DX is not a effect. Simple eg would be from a game like say FarCry II. So in graphics options we can change anything but if we select DX9 to DX 10 or vice-versa it demands a restart of the game for it to work.
    Why?
    Now you know.
    For more detailed info click here.
    Yes, l know it's not a effect, but the game can't render the graphics without the dx drivers.
    I'm saying that DX10 should include and support DX9. And it is so, because if dx10 could't support dx9, the game will not start. But the compatibility is whole different story.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I think you will find that if you have a look through the Total War Eras: Technical Help part of the forum (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76) that many people have to manaully download a previous version of DirectX on a shiny new Windows Vista / 7 install.

I had to do it a long time ago. I found that some older games would simply not launch - I think RTW was one of them.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Thanks!