Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on Patch One:

Default Re: Progress on Patch One:

before release... why do other factions, except that that i am playing have spawning armies when their original land is attacked and the faction the player uses does not have such a thing... wouldn't that be historical accurate... (or does it have, i don't know because i haven't been in that situation, but i doubt the player has this, well, necessity).. i mean i guess if i play as dacia, as i played till now, and for example at first i decide to improve first and first the economy, this will take time and money for buildings so the army is in second place... this time i was lucky because the macedonians and spartans fought among themselves, but other users as i read in dacia thread have encountered many full stacks of macedonians and game over...
    wouldn't it be fare for the player to have this necessity that when for example an enemy army enters it's capital land to have one or two stacks spawn...?(i mean it would be realistic, of course these stacks could be made from unexperienced and/or low tech units, i mean it would simulate a people solidarity and a desperate measure to save what's left)

i mean it would simulate a people solidarity and a desperate measure to save what's left
    Thats the reason why there are spawning armies
    One question from me: why Thrace is not faction in the game? As far as i know Thrace existed in this time and they were powerful.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

RTW has a limit of 21 (or 20 I can't remember) faction slots and we decided that other factions was more important.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

And they make great mercenaries for greek heavy infantry too!

yes that was what i was saying, but my question was does the player have this, i mean if i get attacked by an enemy and i don't really have armies or armies near my capital will there be a spawning army for me the player that could help me pass through the hard times, i repeat i haven't been in this situation yet...

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by evocarti View Post
    yes that was what i was saying, but my question was does the player have this, i mean if i get attacked by an enemy and i don't really have armies or armies near my capital will there be a spawning army for me the player that could help me pass through the hard times, i repeat i haven't been in this situation yet...
    Well, the script is really there to help out the AI and not the player. After all the AI is known to be 'dumb'. As a human you should have the ability to plan ahead and always keep something in reserve.

If you spread yourself out too thin then expect to be invaded.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

yes, the mod encourages the player to play more role play, not only strategy.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by terzer View Post
    One question from me: why Thrace is not faction in the game? As far as i know Thrace existed in this time and they were powerful.
    Actually, the Kingdom of Thrace no longer existed at this time.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Actually, the Kingdom of Thrace no longer existed at this time.
    Yes, but there were many Thracian tribes. I want to ask something: How its possible to create many free people tribes? (i mean they are one faction, but they have different banners, units, names even) Is there a tribe limit? Can you make more tribes? I think they should be stronger (not only in number) and they should stand a chance against the other factions, not only a initial pain in the ass, which after 2-3 full stacks are defeated. After 20 turns there are no free people left.

Citizen

Yes, but there were many Thracian tribes. I want to ask something: How its possible to create many free people tribes? (i mean they are one faction, but they have different banners, units, names even) Is there a tribe limit? Can you make more tribes? I think they should be stronger (not only in number) and they should stand a chance against the other factions, not only a initial pain in the ass, which after 2-3 full stacks are defeated. After 20 turns there are no free people left.
    If you want to see how the free people and slaves handle themselves have a look at Britain at various times in a campaign.

In my Pergamon campaign I did not expand to the East at the start (mainly south) and the Free People/Slaves (the faction you can trade with) expanded to the South East - they even took two other settlements before attacking me.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    If you want to see how the free people and slaves handle themselves have a look at Britain at various times in a campaign.

In my Pergamon campaign I did not expand to the East at the start (mainly south) and the Free People/Slaves (the faction you can trade with) expanded to the South East - they even took two other settlements before attacking me.
    this is good, but its an a exceptional behavior. In most of my campaigns, they are just initial pain, which is cured with many stacks . I never encountered smart and logical behavior, but this is hard coded. In my campaign as a try Roman i never had a chance to trade with them.
    Is the spawning of their armies (spawning in my territories), a result from the unrest and happiness of my regions?
    I don't think Belgae is properly represented, as it consisted from many small tribes (Nervii...). As like Arvernii are a tribe, not a nation like Belgae. (also Celts, Germans).
    I think Belgae are a faction, because its a playable.
    Last edited by terzer; October 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Citizen

this is good, but its an a exceptional behavior. In most of my campaigns, they are just initial pain, which is cured with many stacks . I never encountered smart and logical behavior, but this is hard coded. In my campaign as a try Roman i never had a chance to trade with them.
    Is the spawning of their armies (spawning in my territories), a result from the unrest and happiness of my regions?
    If you have a look at the diplomatic messages that come down the left hand side of the screen you may be surpised by how many factions declare a cease fire with the Rebels. I've even seen some factions with alliances with them.

Clearly they aren't going to last that long in-game as they are spread out a fair bit. However, in old RS1 campaigns I did see the Free People/Slaves ship armies around (I was on Corsica and saw a number of fleets go past).

In my roman campaign, the free people took Carthage out of Italy! If aanything make em a bit more defensive and numerous. I dont think freepeople and slaves wanted to found an empire, just keep their lands safe,

Will the Swap Factions and Faction Intros be present in this patch?

On the subject of the defensive army script (take a region from a computer, it spawns a big army to take it back), I think that a more elegant solution needs to be derived.

For one a garrison script might be better, though that would take some time and effort to implement I believe. Just recognize that backwaters should get smaller, levy garrisons and that even the big important cities should get a few elite troops but certainly their share of levies too.

Or if you want to keep the spawned army script, at least reduce its frequency a bit. It's most dramatic, I've noticed, in Spain where you try to advance with Scipio's one legion and end up being surrounded by a half-dozen well composed stacks when at most it should be probably two stacks. Limit the spawned armies down to only one or two of the AI's most important provinces in a given region.

It is at most two stacks. The remainder have been recruited in the normal way.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

The most effective method of avoiding a rebellion CTD is to create about 4 - 5 save files for your campaign now when you save every couple of turns or so you simply save under a different each time. This will give you at least a 5 turns buffer maybe more perhaps as many as 20 turns or whatever. The point is that if you go far enough back, the butterfly effect may be different, and thus not lead to a city going rebel. Always be sure too that it is not your city going rebel. The CTD seems to happen predominantly later in a campaign so something tells me that it has to do something with buildings perhaps specifically with a recruitment or tiered building. where the destruction/damage of a building creates somesort of invalidiation of a hidden counter or something.

because many of the other factions were barbarian and they didn't have writing. (i' talking about BC). Also the history proofs that the romans were the most powerful and smart civilization in its time... i don't recall barbarian city north of Rhine, big and developed (with sewers, fountains, aqueducts...) as Rome.... I don't recall modern civilization to use laws and technologies, invented by barbarians...
    The romans created history, which can be seen today. There is information, scripts, columns, which tells us the history. They created the foundation, on which the "modern world" is based, even to this date...
    Also the mod is quite historical for all factions (buildings and mostly units). I don't see a problem with that.
    And mostly, i'm sorry for the terrible off-topic.

The Romans copied the vast majority of their early culture from the Etruscans (who themselves copied from the greeks), later republican culture was heavily influenced by surviving Hellenic traditions. The armor worn by early roman soldiers was derived from both greek influences and samnites cultures (which were the barbarians of Italy). The lorica Hamata, aka. chainmail was actually gaullic in origin as was both the montefortino style and coolus style helmet. Even the lorica segmentata was likely eastern in origin. Germans and gauls and those others who your called barbarians did in fact have written language. Also most of our traditions and laws are in fact (at least in the western) derived from the cultures of the barbarians. Don't you realize that Syria is the home of the Jews and early christians who were themselves considered barbarians, and yet now they present one of the largest global influences.
    You are incredibly ignorant if you truly believe what you posted. Also the units in this game and the buildings are incredibly unrealistic (no offense I love the game though). The sheer lack of hastati in any part of the game speaks volumes as to ahistoricality of this mod. If you really think the romans created history, that is not only an insult to the others but also incredibly pathetic.

Marcus Publius's Avatar Miles

werawulf hastati by the second punic wars were obselete.There was no difference between hastati and princapes in equipment I mean.I'm sure this was different rank.Hastati younger and proncapes senior more experienced.So if they were obselete why RS II team should make identical unit with different name.Plus all the restrictions of RTW.

Siegfriedfr's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by werawulf View Post
    If you really think the romans created history, that is not only an insult to the others
    They did leave a great mark in history tho, just like Microsoft who copied Apple if you get my meaning