Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion Version 2

NightEye's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion Version 2

Hmm... Looks like I'll have to clear the air a bit...

I admit that initially the whole point of this submod was to add a few cool units into the Seleucid troop arsenal, but as the mod grew from my first version of the Agema to the collection of units you see, my philosophy for this sub-mod changed, it's still about adding units for fun and variety but within some measure of historical accuracy and cultural compatibility. It's actually been a while since I realized that Spartans and even the Pergamum Hoplitai serving the Seleucids is actually a stretch but I kept them because by then it was already a long time feature of the mod.

As for making the Praetorians available... well, I honestly am not attracted by the idea. Especially considering I'm planning another mass unit skin overhaul to my own units, introducing new African and Indian units and finally getting the AOR set-up working the way I want to work. Not to mention I'm behind in my duties with Fortuna Orbis because I'm not exactly having much free time lately.

Though it's not that hard to mod them in yourself, I'll post the details later. Please be patient.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

[RS 2.1a] Seleucid Unit Expansion V2

I am confused, is the Agema a recruitable general unit, or is it just a model replacement?
    Burn all you love. There's no hope for the weak. Your heroes have died.
    Freedom is slavery.
    War is peace.
    Ignorance is Strength.
    Existence is suffering.

It's a completely new unit I introduced to the seleucid desert AOR which can be made into replacement bodyguard
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven
    Every time you think you've seen it all, life decides to toss several WTF moments at you all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by NightEye View Post
    Hmm... Looks like I'll have to clear the air a bit...

I admit that initially the whole point of this submod was to add a few cool units into the Seleucid troop arsenal, but as the mod grew from my first version of the Agema to the collection of units you see, my philosophy for this sub-mod changed, it's still about adding units for fun and variety but within some measure of historical accuracy and cultural compatibility. It's actually been a while since I realized that Spartans and even the Pergamum Hoplitai serving the Seleucids is actually a stretch but I kept them because by then it was already a long time feature of the mod.

As for making the Praetorians available... well, I honestly am not attracted by the idea. Especially considering I'm planning another mass unit skin overhaul to my own units, introducing new African and Indian units and finally getting the AOR set-up working the way I want to work. Not to mention I'm behind in my duties with Fortuna Orbis because I'm not exactly having much free time lately.

Though it's not that hard to mod them in yourself, I'll post the details later. Please be patient.

if you would tell me how to do that i would be very thankful
    P.S. if i was annoying anyone i apologize

It's awesome! Props to you. Is it normal for the unit picture to be blank white when you look at the details the soldiers?

Yes it's normal, the game engine can't process all the stuff in the mod fast enough so it ends up leaving stuff blank half of the time.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by NightEye View Post
    Especially considering I'm planning another mass unit skin overhaul to my own units, introducing new African andIndian units and finally getting the AOR set-up working the way I want to work.

TELL ME MORE! TELL ME MORE! haha, sounds exciting good sir! Btw, I have, myself, messed around with the recruitment of the Pezhetorai and the Agema, creating a more realistic recruitment area as it were...but I have one unforeseen problem...

I have removed the regular archers from the last tier of barracks, as in, when you click on the building it shows in the unit list that the building does not produce greek archers (or whatever they're called) only seleucid toxtotai...BUT, though they are not listed in the units available in the barracks, they do in fact appear in the actual recruitment table...how do I fix this dilemma?

Oh and if I may suggest something, after playing through a new Seleucid Campaign, the Agema would do well with a touch of gold on their shield, perhaps in the middle...just my two cents

@Roman4life Sorry that it took this long I was a bit preoccupied. Anyway...

First go to Roma Surrectum II\Play_Seleucid\data and open a file named export_descr_unit.txt.

In there, look for the following entries:

roman early praetorian
    roman early praetorian first
    roman late praetorian
    roman late praetorian first

In the last line of each entry is:
    ownership romans_brutii

Change this to:
    ownership romans_brutii, seleucid

Next go to Roma Surrectum II\Data\UI\UNITS\MERCS and copy the following files
    #roman_early_praetorian
    #roman_early_praetorian_first
    #roman_late_praetorian
    #roman_late_praetorian_first
    Paste them to Roma Surrectum II\Play_Seleucid\data\UI\UNITS\MERC

Go to Roma Surrectum II\Data\UI\UNIT_INFO\MERC and copy these files.
    roman_early_praetorian_INFO
    roman_early_praetorian_first_INFO
    roman_late_praetorian_INFO
    roman_late_praetorian_first_INFO
    Paste them to Roma Surrectum II\Play_Seleucid\data\UI\UNIT_INFO\MERC

Finally, go back to Roma Surrectum II\Play_Seleucid\data and look for a file named export_descr_buildings.txt

Look for a line that says successor_order4 only.

Somewhere under that line is a section that says "Infantry Available" go to the last part and add this line:
    recruit "roman early praetorian" 0 requires factions { seleucid, } and hidden_resource rome
    recruit "roman early praetorian first" 0 requires factions { seleucid, } and hidden_resource rome

Look for a line that says successor_order5 only.

Somewhere under that line is a section that says "Infantry Available" go to the last part and add this line:
    recruit "roman late praetorian" 0 requires factions { seleucid, } and hidden_resource rome
    recruit "roman late praetorian first" 0 requires factions { seleucid, } and hidden_resource rome

And congratulations, you just modded the Early and Late Praetorian Cohorts into the Seleucid Army in Rome.

Before you test out your work be sure to delete the map.rwn files. A button that does this is available in the Roma Surrectum II Launcher

@Everto
    You'll have to edit the text file for the barracks buildings I think, not sure though as I never pay attention to that.

The new units won't be anything fancy, they're more for AOR diversity and admittedly are kind of redundant to what Seleucia already has. But yeah they'll be interesting.

As for the Agema shield, I'll what I can do.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven

i cant tell you how exited i am to try this thank you very much for your assistance

Just wondering, is there a way I can replace the Greek Archers altogether with the Seleucid Toxotai so I can recruit them with low level barracks?

go to Roma Surrectum II\Play_Seleucid\data open the file export_descr_buildings.txt

Look for the following lines:
    successor_order1
    successor_order2
    successor_order3
    successor_order4

Under each of these look for
    recruit "greek archer" 0 requires factions { macedon, seleucid, }

And change it to
    recruit "greek archer" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
    recruit "seleucid auxilia archer" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }

Be sure to not delete anything above and below that, and you're done.
    Last edited by NightEye; August 11, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven

regretably i couldnt find the late praetorians in the merc thing but i really cant say how much you have improved my gamplay i was able to add things like hoplites to the roman curia hostilia
    you have been very helpful i would do the +rep thing but i think i need one of those icons under my name first so i will just say thanks for teaching me how to mess with the units

I have a quick query, have you implemmented the cancellation of recruitment of Levy Pikemen and Greek Archers at the last level of the barracks?

Also...would you please...PRETTY PLEASE!...with cherry on top, create a unit out of the current Seleucid Elephant Archer Models? Or perhaps make seperate download link for them...PWEAZZZ, I'd hugely appreciate it man, it'd be AWESOME! I'd totally replace the Seleucid Auxilia Toxtotai with them...name them 'Elephantes Auxilia Toxtotai' or something..

hey this is about the game so far i think its been amazing but i though that when like Persepolis and the eastern nation start to riot an revolt i think they should revolt to Parthia rather than just become an independent nation and also near Russia i see no need to have citys there because i have no interest in wanting them id rather have the city be made in Arabia as putting maybe another faction there would give it a twist giving it a more adventures there was nation that lived there at the time and i dont see why they are not in

Mole Praetoricus's Avatar Civis

Hello there. I have recently tried your sub-mod as i loved the Agema unit. I love any cataphract archer for that matter

I was however not that happy with the new look of the Hetairoi unit. Is there any way that I can keep the Agema but also the original Seleucid Hetairoi unit?

Also, I tried uninstalling the mod but I kept getting an error. I can't remember the exact text but it said something to the effect that "Couldn't locate specific unit type, legio V alaudae."

I tried installing the sub mod again and it works just fine but I'd like to know if there's a way to fix this in case I want to uninstall it again.

Thanks!
    "For I am Mars, the God of War, and I will cut you down" Lemmy Kilmister

So any news with this mod sir?

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

I can't seem to recruit the new Judean units for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchio View Post
    I can't seem to recruit the new Judean units for some reason...
    I haven't recruited those units yet either. I was thinking I need to build a Mercenary Building.

Hey just dropping in to let you know I'm still alive. Unfortunately I haven't been working on this lately due to RL stuff, I'll try to get things done for this hopefully by October.

@Mole Praetoricus I didn't change the look of the Hetairoi..., the Hetairoi Kataphractoi are their own separate unit
    @Everto Not much sadly due to RL reasons, I'll try to time though.
    @Grouchio and al Rashid The Judean Hekatontamachio are counted as regular troops, they require the highest barracks to be available.
    War... War never changes
    Made in Heaven

If you have time, could you possibly do a reskin of the Greek Heavy Peltast, maybe with a different helmet or shield? Also, it would be awesome if you could make some of the more elite Ptolemaic units like the Peltestai(sp?) available to the Seleucids once you conquer them. I have already defeated them but I miss seeing their cool looking soldiers. I am loving this mod!
    Last edited by al Rashid; September 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM.