Thread: What is best way to prevent/reduce the chances of my generals getting stars?

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default What is best way to prevent/reduce the chances of my generals getting stars?

I would like to prevent my generals getting stars or limit them to about 3 max. I only want this to effect the human player and not any ai generals. The purpose being to make the game harder. Currently the game makes the game easier the better you are by awarding stars.

The only way I can currently think of doing this is to exempt my chosen faction from the triggers for gaining stars.

I saw somone, somewhere suggest adding "condition factiontype britons" for example, for achieving something.

If this is correct? Can I therefore put "condition not factiontype britons" in the ancilliaries text to prevent the 'good commander' list of traits affecting my civ?

I ask because I see no mention of factiontype being used anywhere, only culturetype.

I know very little about modding, help gratefully received.

adamus's Avatar Miles

You can't limit the traits by faction, only by culture type, e.g. Britons would be Barbarian, but that would also impact upon Gaul, Germany, Spain, Dacia and Scythia.

Patrician

Default Reduce the snowball effect by other means

Thank you very much. I wont give up though. There must be another way of achieving the same end, so further help still appreciated.

Generals' stars are one aspect of the snowball effect in this game that makes it easier for you as the game progresses rather than harder.

Another, perhaps even more important effect is the mounting resources as each new conquest brings more money and more unit production.

My second quest then is to prevent the players own cities only, over a certain number, from being able to contribute to his war machine. To that end, is corruption moddable? I figure I could then make outlying provinces suffer 100% corruption to render them useless. Pacified but not supportive seems quite realistic too for far away cities. I have a feeling that I will not be able to make this change faction specific either though.

I also need a faction specific method of reducing unit production for the human player.

All thoughts on this are welcome.
    Last edited by Byg; December 15, 2005 at 06:50 AM.

You can limit traits by factiontype, actually. Just not in the trait definition. You do it in the triggers.

Code:
    Trigger NotMyFaction
        WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not Factiontype britons

Affects GoodCommander  1  Chance  100
    Will give everybody but the Britons a point towards GoodCommander after each battle.

Alternatively,

Code:
    Trigger Not_Player
        WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not CharacterIsLocal

Affects GoodCommander  1  Chance  100
    Will only give the trait to AI factions.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Even better: Use "not CharacterIsLocal" for the AI triggers and "CharacterIsLocal" for the player triggers and you'll have a nice distinction (and you won't even need to change the traits btw).

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

You can also increase the chances of getting the trait coward which will reduce your generals stars

Patrician

That is exceptionally helpful. Thanks guys. Unfortunately, in the meantime, whilst awaiting a method, I altered all the command awarding traits for every faction, thinking that would more affect a good human player than the AI who often only uses captained armies anyway. Question is, do I scrub my work or do it your way....?

Being quite lazy now, has anyone already done this in a character trait file to save me the effort?