Thread: finding My Preferences folder, disabling auto-save

Default finding My Preferences folder, disabling auto-save

I've been having problems with my campaigns, pretty much CTD's and funny stuff going on.

Main issues were the CTD just before battles, commonly happening in the Greek Region, so i've read this is a common thing and will be sorted in the patch.

The other was weird stuff going on with my family members and generals, this also was to do with not activating the script.

Finally the random CTD's which i believe has something to do with not turning the auto save feature off, as i can see i get save games titled 'buggy save'.

I have Windows 7 64 bit, i have a copy of Rome total war gold (barbarian expansion included) and also a separate copy of Alexander installed.

I can't physically find or see my preferences script/folder to change the auto save feature.

I've read around but all seem to be leading me on a wild goose chase to different threads and doesn't answer my question.

How do i disable a feature that doesn't exist in and folder or titles as preferences?

thanks,

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: finding My Preferences folder, disabling auto-save

If you're getting CTDs before battles then I think you may need to turn down your graphic settings.

I don't get CTDs in the Greek Region so I don't understand why you think this is going to be fixed in the patch.

If you do a faction specific campaign the preferences.txt folder will be inside the 'play_faction' folder. I suggest that the first place to change the preferences is inside the 'preferences' folder which is inthe game folder (where the exes are). When you launch a campaign you've not started before the preferences.txt from the preferences folder will be copied into the one for the specific faction. The folder won't be present until you launch that factio specific campaign.

Where did you install RSII to?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    If you're getting CTDs before battles then I think you may need to turn down your graphic settings.

I don't get CTDs in the Greek Region so I don't understand why you think this is going to be fixed in the patch.

If you do a faction specific campaign the preferences.txt folder will be inside the 'play_faction' folder. I suggest that the first place to change the preferences is inside the 'preferences' folder which is inthe game folder (where the exes are). When you launch a campaign you've not started before the preferences.txt from the preferences folder will be copied into the one for the specific faction. The folder won't be present until you launch that factio specific campaign.

Where did you install RSII to?
    I am running a £2000 computer, i can play online with full settings including units set to huge and it can cope with a fielding an army with 30,000 units before i get lag or even CTD's.

As i go into the battles on RSII immediately get a CTD to desktop in certain places on the campaign map mainly the Greek region your see similar reports of this.

My theory is if the campaign map has high vegetation in an area or high amounts of detail like Greece has in narrow valleys.

When two large armies meet the battle map is either not big enough to support it and will crash, or the game engine struggles to keep up.

The way i see it in car terms RS2 has been suped up like a car and if you put the accelerator peddle down too hard or push it too far something will fail, or break down.

Program files (86)

correct directory all clean installs no mods just RS2.

oh brilliant thanks for that!
    Last edited by ♔Lord Stason♔; October 06, 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Citizen

Only a £2000 PC? Mine cost over £3,00 and that was before I added my monitor (a Dell 3008WFP)....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Intel Core i7 Extreme processor 975(3.33GHz,8MB L2 cache,6.4GT/sec)
    Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel
    Media Card Reader : 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Hard Drive : 2TB (2x1TB) Serial ATA Raid 0 (7200RPM) Dual HDD
    Optical Drive1: 6X Blu-Ray ROM combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)
    Optical Drive2: DVD+/-RW (DVD,CD read/write)
    Graphics : 1.8 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX295
    Audio : SoundBlaster Xfi Titanium Pcie card
    Operating System : English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT) - upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)
    Dell 3008WFP

As this PC is about twelve months old it's not going to eb the best out there - I don't claim that.

Just because you have spent a lot on a PC does not mean that it can run a game that dates from 2004 with everything set to the max.

RTW does not use any more than one core - anything else is wasted.

RTW does not make the most of recent graphics cards - they simply have feastures that are not utilized by such an old game.

It's a matter of following advice from other people to get the most out of the game with the PC you are using. If you don't follow such advice then you're likely to suffer random CTDs.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Stason View Post
    Program files (86)

correct directory all clean installs no mods just RS2.
    Could this be the problem?
    I know that you are not supposed to install RS2 in Program Files, in fact no TW mod should EVER be installed there, when you´re using Win Vista / 7 (which I suspect if you´re running such an high-end system)

I do not know what problems occur when you install mods in Program Files, but I certainly know that the devs highly advised us to NEVER ever install it there but in a custom folder.

A clean re-install (in another folder) often solves a lot of problems...
    Also certain drivers can lead to CTDs.
    THIS IS...Sparta? Nah...
    Always read the FAQs
    Lou337: Whenever I start up RS II before the screenshot of the city in the sunset comes up there is a line of green text on the upper left corner that says something like GTA Vice City ENB Beta v0.005 and some russian guy's email address. It's very weird.[...] I thought I was being watched by a russian hacker who played a lot of GTA.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Norris View Post
    Could this be the problem?
    I know that you are not supposed to install RS2 in Program Files, in fact no TW mod should EVER be installed there, when you´re using Win Vista / 7 (which I suspect if you´re running such an high-end system)

I do not know what problems occur when you install mods in Program Files, but I certainly know that the devs highly advised us to NEVER ever install it there but in a custom folder.

A clean re-install (in another folder) often solves a lot of problems...
    Also certain drivers can lead to CTDs.
    I have done these procedures, all the directory's are correct. trust me went through this with a tooth comb.

The CTDs are specific, so much so i can predict them, any large battle within a narrow/detailed part of the campaign map i will get a CTD.

for example gaul region i have none i have had a 4 stack battle...no CTD before during or after.

---- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please use the EDIT button

Solved the issue.

I changed the graphics settings on the RS2 menu, i have put it as default. it has stopped the CTD's in Greek region and narrow passes.
    Last edited by Brusilov; October 07, 2010 at 04:50 AM.

Citizen

Resolved & closed

Enjoy the mod.