Thread: Centurion

Icon5 Centurion

HI ! I noticed that in the legions, for example Legio IX hispansensis Legio I Germanica and centurions are Republicans and not imperial.
    then let me know how do I replace.....
    Centurion imperial

Centurion Republican or similar
    Last edited by +MementoMori+; October 04, 2010 at 04:36 AM.

Default Re: Centurion

Legio IX and Legio I were hamata legions, they were not imperial. They were the first version of the Marius Reform. In 100 years they'll become segmentata legions. (imperial or principate)

Quote Originally Posted by Borbonic South View Post
    HI ! I noticed that in the legions, for example Legio IX hispansensis Legio I Germanica and centurions are Republicans and not imperial.
    then let me know how do I replace.....
    Centurion imperial

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Centurion Republican or similar

Well, they were created during the late Republic (IX Hispana fought under Caesar and and I Germanica fought under Pompey before they got that name, if memory serves), and so are available after the reforms kick in, but before the Imperial Reforms represented by the last upgrade to the Oppidum tree (Curia Hostilia) - meaning that the Republican-looking centurion is less incongruous, given the date of creation. Obviously in real life the units' equipment, (and those of its officers) would have changed with time, due to the constraints of the RTW engine, we decided to limit the "Imperial" centurions to those legions available after building the Curia Hostilia - so, the legions with the rectangular scuta, Late Praetorians, and Auxiliary units (I think) - as the units available beforehand were around during the late Republic (and yes, that does include the Early Praetorians). This was the most elegant way we could find to do it, to be honest. PM Tone about replacing the officers - it should be rather straightforward.
    Last edited by Brusilov; October 04, 2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added spoiler - we've already seen the images
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

As Rory says, it's not a black and white thing we 're talking about, it's a process of change that the legions and their officers went through. We chose the earlier looking centurions for some of those hamata legions as they are less incongruous.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

If you want to replace the republican centurions with imperial centurions, open the 'export_descr_unit.txt' file in the 'Play_Rome/data' folder, and replace 'roman_early_centurion' with 'roman_centurion' for every legion that you want to have an imperial centurion.
    The change is savegame compatible.

Be carefull though as making mistakes can ruin your game, so be sure to make a backup of the file before tinkering with it.
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."