Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ERE vs WRE.

Default ERE vs WRE.

Does it seem weird to anybody else that a victory condition for both empires requires the possession of the other empire's capital?

I don't know what kind of mods people intend to make but I think this is broken. The problem is that it causes the two empires to go to war with each other fairly soon. I've played as WRE and ERE both on vh/vh and the two empires are at war with each other with 5 years.

This is pretty unhistorical. It's not just unhistorical, it's also in my opinion game breaking. The two empires, while they did not always fully cooperate (even in some instances laughing at the problems facing the other empire) they did at least try to maintain a solid front against the barbarian invasion.

I'm not saying the alliance between the two empires should be completely inviolate or hard coded, but I think the victory conditions need to be changed. Is it possible to make the possession of the other empires capital dependant on whether or not that empire still retains it's capital?

In other words if WRE loses Rome to the Vandals, could it then become possible for ERE's victory condition to expand to require the possession of Rome? Or better yet, only require that if WRE is completely destroyed.

If the victory conditions cannot change dynamically then it's best if they don't include each others territories. Can I mod this out myself? Also, I hope bringing this up will influence the really talented people who make the major mods for RTW:BI to consider this suggestion.

stop crying and make some friends

It's not really too weird. I think it was the hope of either empire to try and once more hold a unified empire (Justinian sent that famous general of his to try and reconquer a lot of the western territories), which was odd, considering the damaged goods nature of the WREs. They did have a lot of civil wars, after all?

I don't believe victory conditions can change midgame, either.

Quote Originally Posted by big bad badger
    stop crying and make some friends
    You should try to make some friends too. I'm sure you'll get a lot this way.

---

@Ricimer: Try asking it in the mod-forum. I believe the Imperium - Total War mod is going to implement some interesting scripts. And mods like The First Triumvirate have proven that it is possible to mod victory conditions.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    You should try to make some friends too. I'm sure you'll get a lot this way.

---

@Ricimer: Try asking it in the mod-forum. I believe the Imperium - Total War mod is going to implement some interesting scripts. And mods like The First Triumvirate have proven that it is possible to mod victory conditions.

Yes, I DO have a lot of friends thanks. How about you?

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

@ big bad badger stop being a retard

@Rimicer, I agree. I dont like that you have to go against your strongest ally. Unfortuntaly, I dont know of any mods that have what your asking for, but ask around
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Crying over the WRE & ERE going to war is being retarded. BI is historic, not very, but still historic and this is what happened is history! You complain its unhistorical and yet CA implement a Roman faction capable of going to war, which happened in real life, and yet its not good enough! If you don't like BI, write a letter of complaint to CA and explain your problams with the game. I enjoy it, the majority of people on this site enjoy it so if you don't don't bother us! Thank you and good day.

(already Written)
    From 363 to to 476 NEVER the WRE emperor openly fought ERE Emperor.
    The 2 historic civil wars under Theososian reign was of ERE against WRE rebels.
    Last edited by Ettore; December 13, 2005 at 02:09 PM.

I like to go to war with the west. Imagine what if not. The game would be so easy. The Barbarians could never make up against a unified Rome, the AI is just not good enough for that.

But yes, in fact it is ahistorical that the east attacks the west on the third turn or the other way round.
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Big Bad Badger, you have been warned for troll and flame. Have a nice day.

W00t, you are THE man. Get a life.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    W00t, you are THE man. Get a life.
    Hey hey, I already dealt with him. Dont carry it on.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

it doesnt suggest that you go to war with the other empire. quite often you can actually choose to let your differences simmer for a while (historically correct) and then go in after the barbarians have destroyed the other half of the empire (historically correct)

but what it does do, is give you the option to create your own version of history if you choose.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

CommanderSela's Avatar Civis

You can always try to remove the other empire's capital from the list of victory condition. I don't know if it will change the diplomacy in the game. Anyway, i also find the starting hordes factions ( Vandal and Huns ) in bi too weak. I've played to WRE and the ai always weaken his forces agains each other or against the other barbarian faction. Only in one game, the huns attacked and took constantinople and other cities in the balkans. In the current game i'm playing with the romano british and the huns hordes are nearly destroyed. The vandal is a client kingdom of the goth. Is there a way to improve the ai of those 2 factions as well?
    Je suis un handicapé social affectif chronique! Ouin pis...

Quote Originally Posted by Seleukos
    Big Bad Badger, you have been warned for troll and flame. Have a nice day.
    You too.

Hey.. badger.. You jerk. I don't know why your attacking my post and I frankly don't give a crap. I just want to respond and let you know that your an idiot.

Thanks for those of you who offered constructive and intelligent comments, and badger, gfys. I know you do it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    (already Written)
    From 363 to to 476 NEVER the WRE emperor openly fought ERE Emperor.
    The 2 historic civil wars under Theososian reign was of ERE against WRE rebels.
    Your right in a sense Ettore, but we're not talking about WRE rebels. That is actually a seperate faction. We're talking about the legitimate and honorable title of Emperor of the West.

No Legit Emperor of either faction ever went to war with the other. As for Justinian, he was attacking Goths in Italy, long after the concept of a Western Emperor was a distint memory of several generations.

I'm not asking for it to be impossible for these factions to fight. I'm simply pointing out that for the most part they had a lot more to gain from uniting against the the barbarians than they had from watching either side fall. Justinian and Theodoseus's actions really prove my point. Why would an Eastern Emperor try and and revive and rebuild the ancient Western Realm unless to gain and ally against the savage Northerners?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I'm just pointing out the facts. For ERE to declare war on WRE in turn 3-10 is just insane. Valens and Valentian go to war? Why on earth? In the face of the Vandals\Goths\Alemanni\Franks\Burgundians\everyone else. Would these two turn on each other?

Badger aside, I think someone needs to take a serious look at this. That's all I'm saying. I'm certainly no authority on the subject.

this right here basically ruins (for me) a vanilla campaign as a roman.

I recall one campaign, where I was massing troops in greece, building several armies to go liberate armenia, and one turn an army of seriously 2-4 units of WRE layed siege to Moesia, which in itself was garrisoned by 5 liminate and a general.

man the AI pisses me off.

I wish CA would actually fix it one of these times around, to where the AI doesn't declare war with a couple of fisherman blockading your port, or a few rogue peasants sieging your cities. especially when they are getting 3/4's of their trade from you, steady coin donations from your empire, military assistance, you're allies, and they have the huns knocking on there door. no, let's just go ahead and wage war on the worlds only superpower, the player!

p.s. RCGv.2 doesn't have this problem there is only 1 empire!

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

I agree that a Roman empire openly attacking another Roman empire is a bit weird and shouldn't be included in the victory conditions. I think it's best to change the victory conditions of the Romans to outlive the other Roman factions and perhaps some barbarian factions as well.
    To be honest I've never thought of this before (I hardly ever play the campaign) but this is indeed a bit weird and not implemented in BI the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^
    p.s. RCGv.2 doesn't have this problem there is only 1 empire!
    RCGv.2?
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast