Thread: Mass Effect 3

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: Mass Effect 3

I don't care any more what's in this horrible ending sequence and what's not.
    Marauder SHields is my canon.

Btw, released episode 36, for three Shep's backgrounds (what was tossed out of the airlock by BW)

Best cognitive dissonance ever.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Were those two writers who wrote this horrible ending to ME3 the ones who retired from BW?

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Were those two writers who wrote this horrible ending to ME3 the ones who retired from BW?
    lol no

Damn, that sucks.

Even worse, it's pretty likely they'll get another go at trolling the community with the next game.

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Even worse, it's pretty likely they'll get another go at trolling the community with the next game.
    Only if it were trolling...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Its their sick ideal of whatever fantasy world they live in. God they suck for ing writers. They should be ing fired. Doesnt EA realize they ruined the series. The brilliant writing in ME was the work of the other writers. The ending was written by these two s who completely ignored everything that just happened.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

you know, i quite liked me3. There were two issue for it though. Firstly, yes the horrible ending. Though i don't rage on them like others. And the continuation of the game. In order to be able to see different parts of the game, i have to reply the first two completely differently. There is no equivalent to the genesis comic which would make it far more replayable by itself.

Isn't it quite naive to think that Hudson and Walters and the team as a whole wouldn't have learned from their mistake by the immense backlash from the community? I mean said backlash had the company scrambling to fix it when they could have just said that's the ending stfu and suck it. The funny thing about gamers is how completely irrational they are if mistakes are made or something happens they don't like. Never again, so many declare. The world is somehow ruined for me forever because despite the immensely negative fan response Bioware will likely repeat the exact same mistake. Yeah right. That's not a very good business model gents.

Comes Domesticorum

Since DA3 will come out before any next Mass Effect game does, we'll be able to see what they listened to from the community and what they kept their own.

Yeah but isn't DA a different crew than the one that made Mass Effect? I mean we can't just lop all of Bioware in one boat, individual teams and the members of those teams are going to dictate things more than anything.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Yeah but isn't DA a different crew than the one that made Mass Effect? I mean we can't just lop all of Bioware in one boat, individual teams and the members of those teams are going to dictate things more than anything.
    Aye, but while DAO was greeted with a lot of praise from fans, DA2 got a lot of scorn from it, so it will be interesting to see if BioWare as a studio listens to these criticisms and acts on them in their next game.

Well Mass Effect 3s ending was probably some of the most extreme backlash from a community that I have ever seen. So that has to be a clue in to Bioware on how to conduct themselves in the future.

Comes Domesticorum

Well Mass Effect 3s ending was probably some of the most extreme backlash from a community that I have ever seen. So that has to be a clue in to Bioware on how to conduct themselves in the future.
    Aye, I think it even made mainstream news.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Jin the problem with the ME3 ending isn't that it's an insular case of bad writing. It's the fact that this is a group of people who spent eight years on creating a setting and in none of those eight years either planned ahead or decided on how they were going to resolve the plot. Anyone can write a cool setting. Just use your imagination. But writing a plot is a process that requires diligence, lots of rewriting and lots of going back on earlier ideas. It's a puzzle that requires a very meticulous, very resilient attitude. ME3's story implies the opposite of those traits as it involves one asspull after the other, with the developers literally making stuff up on the fly. Why do you think the game was delayed? If you do some research you discover that as late as November 2011 they still had no idea what the main plot was for a game they'd be releasing four months later. That's why it ignores choices, why it's a completely linear sequence of events, why the final act feels rushed and haphazard.

People can blame the EA deadline all they want, and to some extent it is at fault, but the integral problem here is that Bioware thought they could make a consequence-driven trilogy based in a completely new IP and WING IT. You can't wing that. You need to plan, you need to prepare, and you need to schedule. The fact that they did none of this and just had a laugh, resulting in the sudden invention of the Crucible despite Hudson literally saying that Bioware would never resort to such a plot device because they had it all planned out. Which they didn't. So he lied. Just like Mac Walters lied when several days before launch he said the Rachni would have a huge presence in the plot, "even in the final battle."

They made the classical writer's mistake: they let their creation escape them. They were two installments into a trilogy and discovered that they had failed to provide their plot the means it needed to resolve it. The only way to fix things at that point is to either retcon or deus ex the hell out of everything. They chose the latter path, as the former would've arguably been an even greater evil. It's the most amateurish mistake you can imagine and between the 7 or 8 people they have on their writing team I cannot fathom how none of them pointed this out beforehand and why they had to discover this in the last months of production. They're a bunch of clowns, and they got lucky that ME1 and ME2 were good enough to keep us fooled. ME3 revealed the truth.
    Last edited by The Dude; October 21, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Comes Domesticorum

Indeed, they were lucky to have made, according to you, 2/3 games well.

Don't play another Bioware game then.

The negativity is getting annoying.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Meh I don't even disagree. That'll have been the last post I made on the subject. Otherwise it's just repetition anyway.

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

From what I've read thus far, they are VERY aware of the mistakes they made with DA2. They just announced that the protagonist was human, though they would like to make Dwarves and Elves playable in the future. Not really surprising since they're sticking with a fully voiced main character.

The amusing thing to me is that Bioware's success at writing companions was then undermined by their failure at writing a third act.

Garrus will be my bro forever.