Thread: Mass Effect 3

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Mass Effect 3

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Today, I finished Mass effect: Paragon Lost -movie. It was really cool to see a movie. This movie goes to after Shepard's death and reapers defeaded. Vega is main character in this movie and this movie has already knew character like Hackett, Anderson, Liara T'soni and ME2 big bad guys, Collectors. If you have not watched it, I recommend watch it. Movie is like a game itself: Funny, actions and tough decides.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; January 03, 2013 at 08:37 AM.

I think you might have gotten some things wrong there.
    ME: PL is set after ME2 but before ME3, being a prequel to the latest game. As such, Shepard isn't "dead dead" (i.e. only "ME2-dead"), yet, and the Reapers aren't defeated yet, either. The events from the movie are even alluded to in a dialogue between Shepard and Vega in ME3 where the two of them talk about how Vega got into the N7 program candidates and all.
    And according to the cast list, Liara doesn't seem to be of any great importance, either, but rather a completely different Asari, albeit with some ties to her.
    http://masseffectparagonlost.com/story/
    Last edited by Tankfriend; January 03, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

5.1 on IMDB. Is this movie really watchble haha?
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Comes Domesticorum

I tried watching the first few minutes, couldn't, and stopped. It's a shame they had to make it lame and anime, thus making it double lame.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Bah you have no soul Stav anime is more awesome then you can possibly imagine!

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I downloaded the movie, I skipped through a few seconds of it and then erased it. I'm a Mass Effect fan, but I ain't that hardcore.
    No.

Content Emeritus

lol... 5,1? Weird, because I didnt see anything wrong or bad. Mass effect + anime = better this than nothing, while here is no real hollywood movie. Enjoyed!

i wacthed this yesterday, well i realy never liked or care much about vega to be honest, and i still dont for the most part, but i guess i give the character a bit more credit now, still boring with his exagerated military bravado, and his spanish expressions now and then, even on characters that arent vega... realy anoying to be honest. And i love spanish, but plz dont mix it with english so casualy.
    I also found the Anime decently done, with some suprising gory aspects but the rest nothing realy special, and the story i think only realy gets interesting near the end.
    Overal its decent for what it is, for any ME2 players specialy will bring alot of memories and similarities on lots of scenes into the mind.

As an Anime well there is alot better out there by miles, as for ME universe is concerned, i found it interesting them bring the whole choice, and big decision theme up, when the player on ME3 gets very litle of that.... funny!!

And whats with the Giant collectors??! they werent ever that big...

lol... 5,1? Weird, because I didnt see anything wrong or bad. Mass effect + anime = better this than nothing, while here is no real hollywood movie. Enjoyed!
    Yeah it wasnt realy that bad, but i recon it holds very litle interest if you didnt played the games before, or ME2 at least.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; January 04, 2013 at 04:16 AM.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    And whats with the Giant collectors??! they werent ever that big...
    Yeah... that's true and it was bad.

Ok. The movie was OK, towards the "meh" side of OK. Many gay stuff yet OK.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

Many what stuff?

I'd risk a guess and say that Habelo is one of those people that equal "gay" with " ", for whatever reason that might be.

In my opinion this movie its well comparable to the dawn of the seeker for dragon age. it can be amusing if you played the games, but nothing else.
    However cassandra its quite nice character imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    lol, true.

Mass Effect 3 is a fake-non-linear game. Its just a single corridor insert cut scene here game like everything else these days. At least BG2 which was fairly linear had areas to explore and some choices.
    ME2 was already like that. Replayed it just now. everything but the actual path are deadends. What opened it up in ME are the planetside missions. Sure, they were rough and generic but here you got compounds and stuff going on from any direction and was in nice contrast to the main missions which were linear.

I don't quite blame them for it since imo those games are more interactive storytelling than technical good games. I mean the coversystem in ME2 and how your comrades execute your commands can be extremely dreadful - In the final mission I had Tali and Garrus taking cover _on top_ of their cover so I ran around like a headless chicken trying to shove them behind it which is not really immersive. Not to speak of the instances where the sprint/cover key makes your Shepard get entangled with a nearby obstacle and then take a faithful leap right into a load of buckshot from some vanguard.

However the reason I blame them for sub par storytelling since that the whole appeal of these games. They need to stand up to good movie/book standards or are otherwise imho forgettable. If I want a shooter there are dozens out there. RPGs? Seen better. Overall their unqiue feature is the story, characters and dialogue.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Mass effect would have without a doubt have become the best trilogy game ever made if they hadnt sold theirs souls and everything that they are to EA. I wish i could live in the alternate reality where someone just went breivik on all of EA so that i could play ME trilogy like it was meant to be in the beginning. Some people may like the simplefications that EA brought but i want 3 games of ME to look exactly like the first one- with small improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    Mass effect would have without a doubt have become the best trilogy game ever made if they hadnt sold theirs souls and everything that they are to EA. I wish i could live in the alternate reality where someone just went breivik on all of EA so that i could play ME trilogy like it was meant to be in the beginning. Some people may like the simplefications that EA brought but i want 3 games of ME to look exactly like the first one- with small improvements.
    Mass Effect, in terms of story and presentation, will always been the best of the trilogy because it presented a universe of infinite possibilities, where all that was required of Bioware was to follow the formula that made the original great. It was in ME2 where we saw the influence of EA play into the game itself, as it was action-driven, compared to ME, which was driven by story and character development. The shift to an action-oriented story made the series more appealing to a wider audience, marketing it as an 'action RPG", when it like felt many of the RPG elements from ME had been cast aside, but not completely disregarded. Bioware mentioned time and again they'd try to reintroduce some RPG features from ME into ME3, though it was still, at it's core, a game increasingly similar to a FPS than an RPG. EA's heavy-handed influence could be felt throughout ME3, from the rushed production, lamentable original ending, or the dozen or so DLCs they've put out since the game's release.

A ME game along the lines of the original KotOR would be spectacular, but unlikely to happen.

I still enjoyed ME2 though. The "lack of RPG elements" is a legitimate gripe, but there's more to the games than that. ME2 fleshed out the universe with unique characters and locations, and even though it was somewhat more linear than ME1 it still felt like an expansive, interesting universe. There wasn't much of a main plot, but at least the final sequence took into account many of the choices you'd made previously. I don't think it was necessarily that much worse of a game than ME1; it's just a different sort of game.

ME3 just grinds my gears. It has a larger main plot, but that plot consists of a giant macguffin, some battles, and a travesty of an ending. There are some pretty good sequences (Rannoch, Tuchanka), but I wasn't ever much engaged in the story beyond that. There are almost no side missions, so the game felt much more restrictive to me. Furthermore, most "side missions" in ME3 are frustrating (due to the broken quest menu) fetch quests that only give you EMS. Wtf? There were like two substantial new characters, one of whom was uninteresting (James) and the other is underdeveloped and you can only get him through DLC (Javik). Many of your most important choices from the other games don't matter at all or very little (counselor selection, rachni queen, destroy collector base, shadow broker, etc), and a lot of conversations are relegated to auto-dialogue. Also, you can criticize ME2's planet scanning and door unlocking as much as you want, but at least it added some variety to the gameplay. During ME3 I felt like I was being ferried from one fight scene to the next. Finally, I wasn't at all pleased with the music. I appreciate the use of ME1 & 2 music, but I barely noticed any new music aside from the overused Clint Mansell piano track.

Did anyone else notice that Mordin has a different voice actor in ME3?
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Seneca

Mordin is very old in ME3 though; I think it was a deliberate choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    Mordin is very old in ME3 though; I think it was a deliberate choice.
    I disagree. I imagine it was almost certainly an issue of money that led to them changing the voice actor. At most Mordin is only 6 months older than he was in Mass Effect 2 and whilst I know Salarians have a shorter life span than some of the other races I dont see why his voice would change so much in such a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Invasion View Post
    I still enjoyed ME2 though. The "lack of RPG elements" is a legitimate gripe, but there's more to the games than that. ME2 fleshed out the universe with unique characters and locations, and even though it was somewhat more linear than ME1 it still felt like an expansive, interesting universe. There wasn't much of a main plot, but at least the final sequence took into account many of the choices you'd made previously. I don't think it was necessarily that much worse of a game than ME1; it's just a different sort of game. ...
    I just finished another playthrough with ME2 and is it was really a chore how pointless the entire affair (aka story) actually is. The character missions are in parts cool, but the non-plot main plot is mainly: Why exactly has anyone - villain or hero - be wasting their times doing all that?

The Arrival DLC says it all. A DLC makes the entire main story a big waste of time for everyone because the bad guys were just hours away from the next mass relay anyway begging tons of questions how retarded they are to begin with.

I really don't miss the lack of RPG elements, that was fine in ME2, it's that you can cut an entire part of a trilogy because its story is irrelevant and the third one not being very good that is depressing.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design