Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faction-Specific Music

Default Re: Faction-Specific Music

I just did what you asked.

I always keep a copy of an "untouched" mod when I experiment with sounds.
    all the text files remained how I downloaded them. my sounds is the same thing I have had since this mod was made (teutonic)

here is what happened:
    I extracted all the files successfully to exe file sends them. /data/sounds/data/sounds/(wtv..)
    i moved the 3 files, music, sfx and voice out of there and place them in /data/sounds
    I deleted all events, voice, sfx and music idx & dat files.

ran the game and crash! the music that is rebuilt is from vanilla with all the SFX stuff still missing!

the second time I left them all where they were, meaning where they were first extracted too.
    still the same result.

events was about 1800kb and other files were 1kbs.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    I extracted all the files successfully to exe file sends them. /data/sounds/data/sounds/(wtv..)
    So you had all mp3 files in those folders, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    i moved the 3 files, music, sfx and voice out of there and place them in /data/sounds
    3? Why 3? There must be several hundrets if not thousands of different .mp3 files in those directories and they all have to be moved including their folder structure.

How to use the .idx extractor:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Prerequisites and how to use them: Like to any other soundediting, you will have to download the .idx extractor created by Vercingetorix and the officially released Medieval II soundfiles.
    For special purposes like adding an existing accent of the americas, british_isles, crusades or teutonic campaigns to your mod, you've to download the officialy released Kingdoms soundfiles
    Take note that even if you're modding for MIIK, you don't need the MIIK soundfiles as long as you don't intend to use accents of the MIIK campaigns.
    When you've downloaded the MII soundfiles extract all of them into your modname\data\ folder without the permission to overwrite files.
    Using the .idx extractor:
    When you've downloaded the .idx extractor, you've to extract it and place all the files into your modname\data\sounds folder, in our case the Third_Age\data\sounds folder.
    Most of the options explained in the readme.txt are of no particular concern of yours, but it's worth to have a look at it nevertheless.
    To add new voices to your accent, you've to extract the Voice.idx of your mod (Third_Age\data\sounds\Voice.idx)
    Select the extract_sounds.bat and open it with any given texteditor. Change it in order that it looks like this:
    Code:
    .\xidx.exe -x Voice
    pause
    Save your changes and doubleclick the extract_sounds.bat. The voices will now be extracted into your modname\data\sounds\data\sounds\Voice (Third_Age\data\sounds\data\sounds\Voice) folder.
    After the extracting process is done, cut the Voice folder and paste it into your mod\data\sounds folder in order that it looks like this: modname\data\sounds\Voice (Third_Age\data\sounds\Voice).
    Delete the modname\data\sounds\data folder.
    Since we only want to add a new accent and thus only need the Voice.idx extracted, we're done with the .idx extractor.
    Last edited by Aikanár; January 13, 2013 at 02:12 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

oh no by 3 files I meant music, sfx and voice.

in the music folder I pretty much have 20 files (all from the teutonic soundtrack)

here is code of my extractor:

.\xidx.exe -x sfx music voice
    pause
    and here is picture of what I see at the moment.
    note that the .idx and .dat files are the original I started with.

Blog Entries

Alright, sure your sounds are in the correct format and sure you've avoided any typos in the text files?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

there cant be any... I am using the sound files that are provided in the thread i linked.
    I really dont understand... perhaps it is the files that corrupt... I just don't know.

Blog Entries

I meant in the edits you made to the sound files, you surely have edited them in order to make the game recognise your new sounds.

well for your test what is interesting is that I wiped everything clean. I did an override of everything I did with the original files provided, then I copied the original sound track from Teutonic campaign.
    I then, as a test, removed events and music to just test if the game is able to reconstruct these files properly.
    obviously extracting the files, and moving them to the correct positions as I showed you in that screenshot.

interestingly enough the game failed at doing that.
    I really don't understand what is wrong with it.
    Last edited by Toho; January 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Hm, you do use a .bat file to start the mod and the folder m2k in general is installed to is not protected by UAC?

I have windows 7, and the security thing is pretty much turned off.

I really dont know how it is installed, it is from my old computer and still seems to be working when I put my back files on this new computer.
    I tried reinstalling the extractor but the link didn't work anymore...

Blog Entries

IDX? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...?do=file&id=32

Concerning your problem, I'm pretty much at my wit's end as well.

well, I have an idea, perhaps it is the mod itself.
    do you have a M2TW Kingdoms mod where you edited the music and had no problems?
    perhaps using that as a base I can reconstruct the files and just move them to my own mod.

Blog Entries

Ayup, for TA:TW but I never used the kingdoms sound text files for that, but the m2 vanilla files.

I too crash and then lose some of the default sound effects as well, but the music works just fine. Sadly, if I put the original events files back in I can't hear my custom music, even if I let the game recompile my music and music.idx with my edited descr_sounds_music.

i tried couple of times, and music works fine, but have no voices and some SFX stuff. everything i tried ( copy all sound files from vanilla, deleting all files, etc ) no voices. i'm so pis... because i did it simple, without extracting files, just editing .txt so must be working ( say the tut )! anyone have a clue?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

just editing .txt
    Famous last words.

I would suggest to see if you can generate the idx and dat files just with the original TXT files. Then edit the TXT files one at a time and make sure any custom files are in the correct sub directories.

LoL man, such quick reply
    i'll try it all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    ...I would suggest to see if you can generate the idx and dat files just with the original TXT files. Then edit the TXT files one at a time and make sure any custom files are in the correct sub directories.
    I think this is interesting: i delete events and music files, and when i start game i don't have music and SFX files and i did not change any .txt file! The new files are generated but they are false, and when i copy original vanilla files from mtw2/data/sound folder game crash! Only original files from mod folder ( that i previously back-upped ) works! Crazy stuff, ha!
    Is it something about my installation of mtw2 or sound parameters? (my OS is win 7 )

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Run this tutorial from step 3 onward and at the end delete the medieval ii total war folder in the virtual store (if it exists)

oh yes, i have been on this page, but was to lazy to read all
    unfortunately, i get a blue screen, right in my face! ( bad_pool_ something )after restart i check what happened, option is now: full control - allowed and virtual store folder is completely empty. but, no music and no sounds again.
    by-the-way, the game don't recognize EAX sound provider, only MILES FAST 2D

Images in this tutorial are dead, can someone update it please? Or explain how to exactly do those steps cuz I can't figure out without images.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast