Thread: CA's GLOSS files

Default CA's GLOSS files

I don't know if I sould post this in the workshop

When I use the Vercighetorix's extractor I extract the "models_unit_textures.pak" and there's GLOSS file for everu unit in the game. How can anyone use them? If you saw the pics in the totalwar.com gallery the units are using GLOSS.
    Is there anyone to activate them?
    New pics on 24/4/2007

I am interested too, is there anyone to help?
    If you want a fight!.....then I'm your man!Come on! But I must warn you.....I fear nothing except God, and Myself!

You need to save the gloss files into the your_rtw_folder\data\models_unit\textures folder. There are only tga versions of the gloss files, so you need to save each tga into .dds format also.

For example, for the Roman Legionary I Cohort (early legionary), the gloss file is called: unit_roman_legionary_i_gloss.tga
    Copy that into your data\models_unit\textures directory. Now open the file in your preferred graphics application and save it in the .dds format the game uses, keeping the .tga extension also, like so: unit_roman_legionary_i_gloss.tga.dds

If you don't have support for the .dds file format, look up on the forums for how to get support for it.

Providing you now have the 2 gloss files saved into the right folder, when you play the game with the Early Legionary units, they'll have gloss files enabled. However, I find the default gloss files are atrocious. I don't know if CA designed the game on dull monitors, but in snow and certain light, the gloss files are over-powering and turn the unit skins bright white, or turn mail into liquidified jelly. I therefore make all my gloss files from scratch.
    Professor Spatula's Mods: Made by the fair hand of the Professor.

Thank you, I appreciate your help, there's a lot of days I've been waiting an answer to this.
    New pics on 24/4/2007