Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BattleAxe Commentary

Icon7 BattleAxe Commentary

Thank you for downloading BattleAxe.

If you wish to share your opinion on BattleAxe, you can do so herein.

Enjoy your game.
    Last edited by brandybarrel; October 26, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
    brandybarrel's BattleAxe and Unit Guide Links:

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: BattleAxe

+rep for hard work.

Mr. Sorrow's Avatar Ordinarius

Good job! Just its too much of a vanil....eh...shut up! Rep from me too...
    Last edited by Mr. Sorrow; October 01, 2010 at 01:22 AM.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sorrow View Post
    Good job! Just it too much of vanil....eh...shut up! Rep from me too...

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sorrow View Post
    Good job! Just it too much of vanilla
    Brandybarrel....you know why i quote this post? Any guesses? Hmmm? Anybody?

Because the statement is true. Real, vrai.

Some advice, there are dozens of unit mods outside, start asking permissions and implement them one by one. Start with Polished Poland and CBUR.

Orihalco's Avatar Civis

Looks like you have an interesting concept here. I am downloading now, and I will be back in a few to let you know what I think!

Edit:
    After playing through a dozen or so turns as Georgia, I have come to the realization that this is an awesome mod. The turns fly by because there is no fear of starting an unnecessary war; you're already at war with the entire map for goodness sakes! Without having to move diplomats and princesses around, the game is shortened tremendously. This mod is definitely for those looking to just wage all out wars against their opponents.

My favorite map is the last campaign map in which there are only 8 settlements and 8 factions. It is easy to see how the player could be quickly overwhelmed if he/she does expand immediately.

The only thing that I ask for though, is a campaign that starts out like vanilla: hardly anyone is at war with anyone else, there are princesses/diplomats. I love the layout of this map as it makes ships almost useless and traveling around the entire map is now possible (it would take a while though!)

Overall, very good mod. I love the premise of all out war, but at the same time, I would love to have a campaign that utilizes the same map/factions but adds diplomacy back into the equation.
    Last edited by Orihalco; September 30, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Thunder from Curitiba's Avatar Foederatus

Is very nice... the idea is very nice... but the campaign maps, especially the grand campaign map, is too short, with few regions to conquer... so my idea is this: change the size of the grand campaign map OK? Your idea is good, but needs somethings yet ok?

good luck =D

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Guild assassin, I can't whait to play as them. And I can't whait to kick some Swedish and Danish ass Now give me my axe, damit!

There are offcourse many many unhistorical elements, but this looks like just pure fun with the specific goal so I will leave that under the carpet.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    Brandybarrel....you know why i quote this post? Any guesses? Hmmm? Anybody?

Because the statement is true. Real, vrai.

Some advice, there are dozens of unit mods outside, start asking permissions and implement them one by one. Start with Polished Poland and CBUR.
    I disagree. I think that one of this mod's greatest advantages is its small file size and lightweight feel. Bogging it down with needless graphics improvements that don't add to gameplay would be throwing away this advantage. I welcome new units, but there's really no need to improve the graphics in future releases.

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

Fist's Avatar Laetus

Really , a good job on this mod! I enjoyed myself on the total "losgehen" warfare , especially on the 8 faction map.
    +rep for the hard work and because this mod is quiet nice

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic_Commodore View Post
    I disagree. I think that one of this mod's greatest advantages is its small file size and lightweight feel. Bogging it down with needless graphics improvements that don't add to gameplay would be throwing away this advantage. I welcome new units, but there's really no need to improve the graphics in future releases.
    Who said anything about graphics? I was simply commenting on the vanilla ripoffs that most unit rosters are. While, adding units from other mods, or making some new ones on his own, would make it even better.

jinjo's Avatar Senator

good job +rep

Who said anything about graphics? I was simply commenting on the vanilla ripoffs that most unit rosters are. While, adding units from other mods, or making some new ones on his own, would make it even better.
    Well, the mods that you mentioned are both rather graphics-heavy, so I assumed that you were making the suggestion on a graphics basis - I agree with you that new units would be a nice thing, but if the vanilla graphics could be preserved, that would be good too - it's the best of both worlds.

Baerke Hinn Gauzki's Avatar Senator
    I have absolutely no bloody clue. Somewhere in Sweden I THINK...

This would fit me (with our stupid download limit) perfectly!! Hm.... I'll give it a try!!^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic_Commodore View Post
    Well, the mods that you mentioned are both rather graphics-heavy, so I assumed that you were making the suggestion on a graphics basis - I agree with you that new units would be a nice thing, but if the vanilla graphics could be preserved, that would be good too - it's the best of both worlds.
    Well, there is always reskinning of the vanilla, or making new units out of vanilla, which wouldnt be bad. I mean, roster overhaul, even with vanilla units, is generally better than keeping them as they were, or changing 1-2 units here and there.

Reverend Scott's Avatar Senator

Downloading now.
    www.samsarra.com
    iTunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id498281682?ign-mpt=uo%3D5
    Proud Beta tester for 300 Warlords of Sparta
    Proud Beta tester for Hic Est Lacedaemon
    Proud Beta tester for British East India Company - The Indian Mutiny (BEIC)
    Proud Beta tester for American Civil War - The Blue and the Grey 2.65-3.0

Well, there is always reskinning of the vanilla, or making new units out of vanilla, which wouldnt be bad. I mean, roster overhaul, even with vanilla units, is generally better than keeping them as they were, or changing 1-2 units here and there.
    Agreed. This mod has so much potential and is already very fun to play. Adding in better rosters from the vanilla ones would make this mod very good.

Hi gentlemen,

Thank you for your input and commentary.

There appears to be some misunderstanding regarding the faction rosters and their vanilla flavor. A lot of content has been added or changed depending on a faction’s original M2TW state. Perhaps it has gone unnoticed or yet undiscovered.

An effort was made for factions to have a similar appearance depending on their culture (e.g. Eastern European), and/or region (e.g. Iberian, Scandinavian). This included unit additions, unit replacements, unit ability changes, shield, armor, and helm changes.

There has been no random sprinkling of units here or there. Indeed, a closer inspection of the Unit Guide will reveal a pattern and/or methodology to the additions or changes. Every faction can build a new unit at each barrack, range or stable level. City barrack units share a common roster dependent on culture or region.

The castle barrack levels have 1-2 units each beginning with the weaker spear unit at b1 and ending with a rare but elite unit at the b4 level (e.g. elite foot knights). In between, at the b2 level, all factions receive one main spear unit and one melee unit. At b3, the main battle unit (e.g. feudal foot knights) is available and accompanied by a hard hitting armor piecing (AP) shock unit (e.g. Zweihander). All ranges and stables have a different unit available at each level and ending with powerful units. In cases where factions did not have any of the aforementioned, a new unit was created.

Since Poland was mentioned I will use it as an example. The following is a shortlist of Poland’s roster changes:

• Replaced main Eastern Spearmen unit (b2) with a round shield and nosed helm unit (made common to EE factions)
    • Added Eastern Infantry melee unit (b2) with round shield and nosed helm unit (made common to EE factions)
    • Dismounted Polish Nobles (b3) now throw javelins as their mounted counterparts and have become tough sword wielding melee units
    • Added new AP shock unit, Raiders (b3). Also nose helmed and common to EE faction appearance
    • Added rare but powerful Eastern Knight (b4) with small square shield common to EE factions
    • Added elite Eastern Crossbowmen (r3) with small square shield common to EE factions
    • Replaced NE General’s bodyguards with EE bodyguard unit (common to EE factions)
    • Replaced some units that were not consistent with the EE “look” (e.g. Halberd Militia)
    • Hand Gunners and Arquebusiers both replaced by Eastern European gunpowder units
    • Large square shield and smaller tear drop shield art has been redone
    • Reduced conical hat appearance for EE units
    • Tweaked and changed unit stats and costs
    • Included access to over a dozen AoR and guild units
    BattleAxe attempts to build upon and improve the original faction rosters, not overhaul them. An effort was made to remain consistent with CA’s unit textures, banners, icons, colors, 2D UI artwork and not include elements that would fantastically contrast with other factions. There is a lot to discover in BattleAxe and I do hope you enjoy your game.

Last edited by brandybarrel; October 23, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
    brandybarrel's BattleAxe and Unit Guide Links:

I have indeed seen the unit rosters, looked through them before I downloaded the mod, in fact (Papal Knights and Imperial Halberdiers are my favorite new units). I just feel like there is a fair amount that could be done with adding new units. Don't get me wrong, I love the mod as it is, and there is a lot of content here, which is great, and I certainly respect all the hard work that must have gone into the mod, but I feel like a few more new units for some of the new factions (like Sweden and Georgia), diverging a bit from vanilla, would be great - this is because I like what I've seen so much that I'd like to see what you can come up with for the new factions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast