Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install a mod for Civ 5

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default How to install a mod for Civ 5

Here I am, about to show you guys how to install a mod on Civ 5. It really isn't complicated and I like it more than the "traditional" way.

Anyways, here you go:

Step 1
    Goto the main menu and select "Mods"

Step 2
    A disclaimer will come up. Click "Accept" and proceed.

Step 3
    Click the "Browse Mods" button.

Step 4
    Select the "Online" tab on the top of the screen.

Step 5
    Find the mod that you'd like to download and select "Download."

Step 6
    Another disclaimer. Click "Accept"

Step 7
    You'll see that the download is "Connecting."

Step 8
    Once it's done, it'll say "Complete"

Step 9
    Now go back to the "Installed" tab up at the top. Click the "Install Mods" button at the bottom left of the screen.

Step 10
    Find your mod

Step 11
    Click the green check button to the right of the mod.

Step 12
    Go back to the "Mods" page (steps 1-2) and select "Single Player"

Step 13
    Click "Set Up Game"

Step 14
    Select "Advanced Set Up"

Step 15
    Set up the mod appropriately. If it's a scenerio, it will be under the map list.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: How to install a mod for Civ 5

Temporarily stickied, at least for now.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Temporarily stickied, at least for now.

This makes no sense...

Now that's a mod-friendly game

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    This makes no sense...
    Nonsense!

What I'm saying is that for now, it's only temporarily stickied. If this becomes popular, I might consider permanently stickying it until say, Civ VI came out or something.

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

Awesome! Thank you so much dude!
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Love that games are starting to have 1 stop shop mod selections.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Same here

withfriend2's Avatar Tiro

good guide dunno if it should be stickied though...

I'm stuck between steps 8 and 9. I can complete 8, where I've told the game to download a mod, and it does, and the green bar finishes and says COMPLETE, but then when I click on the Installed tab, nothing is there.

I got the game from D2D via Steam, and I play in Offline Mode. That doesn't stop me from viewing and downloading the mods, so I doubt it affects whether I see them or not, but maybe it does.

Any suggestions?

>>>>>>>>>>

On another note, do you all see a problem with the tiles refreshing their overlays? I will often tell a worker to build a mine on a hill, and the bottom half of the tile will start to turn white and show the mine stuff, but the upper half won't. It'll continue to appear as an unimproved hill until I scroll up and bring the bottom edge of the screen near the hill, at which time the entire tile's overlay will update. I have to do this every time I load a game, or every time I make an improvement. I'm playing the DX11 version on a newly (clean) installed Win 7 64, if it matters.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Servius View Post
    I'm stuck between steps 8 and 9. I can complete 8, where I've told the game to download a mod, and it does, and the green bar finishes and says COMPLETE, but then when I click on the Installed tab, nothing is there.

I got the game from D2D via Steam, and I play in Offline Mode. That doesn't stop me from viewing and downloading the mods, so I doubt it affects whether I see them or not, but maybe it does.

Any suggestions?

>>>>>>>>>>

On another note, do you all see a problem with the tiles refreshing their overlays? I will often tell a worker to build a mine on a hill, and the bottom half of the tile will start to turn white and show the mine stuff, but the upper half won't. It'll continue to appear as an unimproved hill until I scroll up and bring the bottom edge of the screen near the hill, at which time the entire tile's overlay will update. I have to do this every time I load a game, or every time I make an improvement. I'm playing the DX11 version on a newly (clean) installed Win 7 64, if it matters.

You have to go online for it to take effect.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Double A's Avatar person man

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Nonsense!

What I'm saying is that for now, it's only temporarily stickied. If this becomes popular, I might consider permanently stickying it until say, Civ VI came out or something.
    People were asking how to install mods for Civ V? When it's the third tab down?

Also, Civ VI? My blown is mind.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

I just tried to make this work while having Steam in Online mode and it still won't work. I find the mod I want, download it, it says COMPLETE, I click on the Installed button and it just says NO MODS INSTALLED. I click the Online button again and it still says the file has been downloaded.

So, still stuck between steps 8 and 9. What's the next suggestion?

EDIT: After more digging, it seems it's a bug that's triggered by the fact that Steam and Civ5 aren't installed in the C drive...

I'm reading up on this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1444062

which leads to this: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89645
    Last edited by Servius; October 12, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Double A's Avatar person man

You have to let it sit for a few seconds.

That's all I can think of.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

any instructions for traditional way?

I have a file civ finatics and want to use it

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Go to your "My games" folder, find civ 5, open the file find the "MODS" folder, drag and drop.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I cannot load a mod it says microsoft bits hasnt been started. What is that? I cannot find a mod folder either to do it the old fashioned way. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Seriously great explanation Pilgrim. Love the detail of it.

I have two questions for you and others. This is coming from essentially a newbie. Not to Civilization at all, but a newbie to modding in ANY way.

1.) I have always been worried about modding games. So, I've never done it and never spent enough time to research it's ups and downs. My question is this - If I use any of the mods I find online, can I easily go back and play the game originally without any of the mods? Or are any mods I do (not scenario mods of course) permanent? Basically I only want to start experimenting with downloading mods if I know I can always go back to the original gameplay if I don't like them.

2.) What got me into looking at mods, is a type of mod I always had in my head that I wish could be tried. I always thought it would be VERY cool to play the game, where when you capture another civ's capital, that you get their civ's special ability. Therefore, if you are playing as Egypt, you of course have your 20% production towards Wonders. But if you capture Beijing, you would automatically get the Great General bonuses that they had. And, if you continue on and capture Tenochtitlan, you start to get culture bonuses for killing enemies, etc. And if any of them capture their capital back, they get their powers back (probably would be quite difficult in most cases). I think you get the idea. So, does anybody know of a mod like this, or if not, would it be even realistic/possible for one of you smart computer people to make a mod like this?

Appreciate the help with both questions!

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Excellent guide, my friend!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

In step 13 the "set up game" has disapeared after downloading a LOTR mod. only options are "load game" and "custom game" no mods appear in playable list and the map is not in my map list. How do I get the "set up game" option back?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast