Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions!

Expanded.txt is a file only for display it doesn't affect the game or other text files like:-
    Entries taken from vanilla not SS
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    {BYZANTIUM}The Byzantine Empire
    {BYZANTIUM_STRENGTH}Good heavy cavalry and missile cavalry, capable archers.
    {BYZANTIUM_UNIT}Varangian Guard
    {BYZANTIUM_WEAKNESS}Lacks late period gunpowder.

to
    Code:
    {BYZANTIUM}The Roman Empire
    {BYZANTIUM_STRENGTH}blah blah blah
    {BYZANTIUM_UNIT}Greek Fire th....
    {BYZANTIUM_WEAKNESS}Lol no weakness imo

Being able to customize your own troops or create a new unique one for your faction . Type, weapon, armor etc. that would be cool for a submod or something :o

Quote Originally Posted by MrMutant View Post
    Being able to customize your own troops or create a new unique one for your faction . Type, weapon, armor etc. that would be cool for a submod or something :o
    Yes that is cool and infact many players have gathered up and working on such submods.
    btw Welcome to TWC forums mate.

For England Men's Avatar Miles

just thought of a suggestion, in custom battles an option to add / remove AOR units from roster would be nice and make it less cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by For England Men View Post
    just thought of a suggestion, in custom battles an option to add / remove AOR units from roster would be nice and make it less cluttered.
    Afaik that would have to be handled externally by the ss_setup and be incompatible with any unit rooster changing submods (unless they bring their own version of this) but it's possible.

As Bane mentioned it's possible. Go in the EDU file and this attribute behind every unit entry in the attribute line that is no_custom.

Eg:-
    Code:
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, cantabrian_circle, no_custom

I was thinking more like in the custom battle selection where it is currently early,late,high,all there could be one added saying AOR which has the AOR ones in so its not in the all. How difficult would that be to implement?

I was thinking more like in the custom battle selection where it is currently early,late,high,all there could be one added saying AOR which has the AOR ones in so its not in the all. How difficult would that be to implement?
    All units, even the AOR units have defined periods in which they are valid, that is they are allocated to early, late, high. I'd imagine you would have to introduce a "parallel" period "early AOR" and define the normal units in both... I can't really see that working so well. Seems a lot of work for something thats easier solved by an external tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    I can't really see that working so well. Seems a lot of work for something thats easier solved by an external tool.
    ^This.

I see your point guys never mind was just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw
    Afaik: Its either that way (give the rebels access to all units the player will eventually have) or rebels will turn into easy pickings in later turns when they only have access to the units the player can build at the beginning
    I thought that maybe, they can have low technology in the beginning and high in later times. if that would have been possible, it would have been better to fight 5 spear militia than one strong, professional swordsmen, as long as you can't recruit such swordsmen.

ok, because you did not say anything about whether I should copy my posts from "Suggestions" to this place, I suppose there is no problem if I do so. These were already written (in that other thread), except few changes:

1. It would be nice if the Cuman Khanate (maybe other factions too) had a greater variety of units (units you can recruit from anywhere).

2. The texture of the horses of the Pronoiarii (Byzantine Empire) is awful, in my opinion. Maroon is simply not a nice color. I have changed the texture with the one of the Knights Templar, if I remember well, though it doesn't look byzantine at all (it has the sicilian symbol). If I had some graphical skill I would have edited the texture. Anyway, it still looks somewhat ugly with the men (Pronoiarii) in maroon. So, if you change the texture of these (man and horse) it would be nice.

3. The loyality system doesn't look too good to me. If I remember well, it happens that a general that is "Very Loyal" when you adopt him, for instance, gets the "Unwatched by King" attribute which doesn't seem in the nature of a "Very Loyal" man. Moreover, I guess somebody that starts with very high loyalty should rather stick to high loyalty, men with economical skills to stick to economical skills, and it would be nice to be able to raise the chivalry, loyalty, piety, or command to maximum.

4. It would be nice if you get some ancillaries or something for conquering factions. It is known about the Byzantine Emperor Basil II that he was called "the Bulgar Slayer" - that meant something! Also, it would be nice if there were ancillaries for having certain large regions (one I have noticed was "King of all France", but, as I don't think it is, it would be nice to also have "King of all the Balkans", "King/Sultan of all Egypt", "King/Sultan of all Persia", etc.)

5. It would be nice if you would make the game more dynamic... That is, more decisions to make (like a dialogbox in which you choose which you want) that change much the game and give you the feeling that you are part of that world, acting in it. Maybe possibilities for civil war, some general/family member to atempt to kill the king or conquer the capital, as a result of an action of yours, etc. Also, it would be nice if a message box would appear when Saladin appears on the scene, and also if you kill him (he is a very important person in history)

6. it would be nice if there would be some "technology/research" available. For instance, it is said about dismounted beckh druzhina (if I write correctly) - that they have the best armor available in the steppes, but what happens when I get deep into europe with them? they should be able to get some better armor, as turks did, if I remember well, after they conquered Anatolia. Also, the Byzantine Empire did not have sufficient money in its later age so it couldn't afford modern technology. But what happens if you become the strongest power in the world? "research technology" that I had in mind was to use messages in the beggining of the turn or as buildings in the capital. Maybe you have some better ideas.

7. It would be nice if you changed the description of the Byzantine Empire to something more... glorious or something. The original description provided by the creators of the game seems rather to mock it.

8. I wished being besieged was more fun. The only fun I had was once in the original game when I was with the turks and had Constantinople for a few rounds: there came a crusade, I had the building filled with good units and defended! So, maybe if the enemy was not so affraid of attacking a defended settlement, if the siege lasted shorter and if you're allowed to build buildings in the mean time it would be nice. The worst thing in being besieged is that you are stopped from developing your city while the enemy army is playing with you, or even, you never get to defend from the walls against a siege.

9. About traits: I'd like if I was told what "Comes" , "Droungarios", etc. is, without having to look into wikipedia.org. Also, if the traits were sorted by type it would be nice (i.e. first the religious ones, then the combat, then economical, etc.)

10. Chivalry issue: I don't know what it means and how exactly to increase it without affecting negatively the general. If I try to conquer a faction, I execute the captives, which is not chivalric, if I raise the taxes to very high, although the population happines is ok, it's not ok with the chivalry.

11. In the beginning of the game you have generals, but you may never be able to adopt them. Even if he is a great victor or something, you may not get to adopt him.

12. It would be nice if adoption suggestions appeared more often. In reality, I don't think there were cities without somebody to govern them, so why wait so much until all children grow and marry and have children so you would get some governors?

13. The Cuman Khanate is really annoying with its muslim talkings. Can't you find anybody with harsh voice to attempt to say something? As long as it doesn't sound ridiculous, I guess it's fine. by the way, does it really need to sound mongolian?

14. It would be nice if there were some religion-specific traits. For instance, a polytheistic (pagan) religion should not have a priest with a trait that contains the word "God", but rather "gods" or something similar.

15. It would be nice, though that would be a hard work, to also have a campaign with an earlier date (maybe before the battle of Manzikert)

16. I guess it would be nice if you would receive messages sometimes in the beginning of the round that says some "opinions", "rumors" of the known world about you/your faction as it grows into a powerful empire, fights more enemies, etc.

17. I guess it would be nice if you were able to appoint yourself the commander of the army, etc. if it is possible.

18. The saracen archer, among others, does not look in the world (model + texture) as it looks in the unit card. This might have been said already.

19. The Mourtatoi looks ugly in the unit card, but not too good in the world either.

20. The generals are way too strong (I'm not talking about general's bodyguard), especially if he's a king! You need lots of professional spearmen to take down one.

21. I think it would be nice if the Cuman general's bodyguards (maybe other factions as well) also had bows (thus, making them horse-archers).

22. AOR suggestion: it would be nice if the AOR units would be stronger. i.e. if I play with the byzantine empire and conquer italian settlements, to be able to recruit western units (to be something like, western influences), like mailed knights, light men-at-arms, crossbow militia, maybe even pavise crossbowmen! Also, if I play with cumans, and conquer poland or hungary, to have access to better armour/strong units like their swordsmen, knights, etc.

23. the cumans (maybe among others) have too few units that they can recruit anywhere. Maybe it would be better if they could have recruited tartars & mounted Yasi anywhere, among other options, for instance. Also, it would be nice if the wooden castle could have recruited Dismounted Cuman Militia. Also, if they also had some archers weaker than the dismounted bekh druzhina but stronger than dismounted cuman militia it would be better.

24. I suggest you add a difficulty guide (i.e. txt document or something). I always wonder "what's the difference between medium difficulty and hard difficulty? should I play the hard difficulty?". For instance, gaining money much harder is not something I'd desire, but I might be interested if there was some more trouble with the neighbors (because of faction standings). So I somehow fear trying the hard difficulty because I don't know what to expect.

25. I think that while in settlements/on the walls, archers and crossbowmen should have unlimited ammo (or to resupply automatically). I think that those towers normally had enough arrows to defend in a battle!

26. by the way, didn't the byzantines suppose to have that heavy cavalry earlier in the game?

27. did persians use elephants in that period? (people mounted on elephants, with bows or javelins).
    If yes, I guess it would be nice the addition (maybe for AOR).

28. what do you think about making "peasant archer" be the same as "archer militia" (for the factions that have archer militia); and "peasant crossbowmen" be the same as "crosbow militia"? after all, there's little difference between them.

29. can you balance the number of units factions can recruit? when I look at the custom battle, it's frustrating when I see some factions having small number of units, while others have too many.

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

Suggestion for the map: You all should take a leg up from Vlad's map. Having rivers as ocean so ships can go up and down them. This was huge way of transport in middle ages, especially in areas between Black Sea and Baltic.

when a Jihad is called put in the little jihad movie shown in the kingdoms crusades campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by S6k6l6v View Post
    when a Jihad is called put in the little jihad movie shown in the kingdoms crusades campaign.
    I thought SS already has that...
    But anyways if someone is interested in putting it then here it is quite simple i would say:-

°
    How to Add Jihad Video from Crusades vanilla Campaign to SS

1. Firstly copy the first_jihad.bik file from crusades\data\fmv\event\first_Jihad.bik location and put it your mod folder.
    2. Then copy the default vanilla file descr_event_images.txt in your SS\data folder if it doesn't exists.
    3. After that open it and change this entry:-

Code:
    jihad_called
    icon jihad
    heading_items 5
    format
    {
    title center verdana black
    string center verdana_med black
    image center jihad_called
    spacer 16
    string left verdana_sml black
    spacer 16
    condition ;; if islam
    {
    true
    {
    multistring left verdana_sml khaki left jihad_called_islam
    }
    false
    {
    multistring left verdana_sml khaki left jihad_called_non_islam
    }
    }
    }

To this one:-

Code:
    jihad_called
    icon jihad
    width 536 false
    heading_items 5
    format
    {
    title center verdana black
    string center verdana_med black
    movie center 536 304 event/first_Jihad.bik
    spacer 16
    string left verdana_sml black
    spacer 16
    condition ;; if islam
    {
    true
    {
    multistring left verdana_sml khaki left jihad_called_islam
    }
    false
    {
    multistring left verdana_sml khaki left jihad_called_non_islam
    }
    }
    }
    And save changes.
    And u are done.
    Last edited by Ishan; October 07, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

First I would thank the makers of SS for their fantastic mod.

There is one thing however, that I would like to see in SS 6.4, but I think it is quite impossible:
    I would like to see that the East Roman Emperor (or the Byzantine Emperor wathever you like) could call the Papal States for aid, this aid would then be a crusade.
    The crusade option that Byzantium has would however be a different one than the christian factions: Byzantium would request the Pope to organise a crusade but Byzantium wouldn't be able to choose the crusaders main target nor would Byzantium be able to join the crusade

A good exemple for what I mean is the first cursade:
    "The First Crusade was a military expedition from 1096 to 1099 by Western Christianity to regain the Holy Lands taken in the Muslim conquest of the Levant, ultimately resulting in the recapture of Jerusalem. It was launched in 1095 by Pope Urban II with the primary goal of responding to an appeal from Byzantine EmperorAlexios I Komnenos, who requested that western volunteers come to his aid and help to repel the invading Seljuk Turks from Anatolia. An additional goal soon became the principal objective—the Christian reconquest of the sacred city of Jerusalem and the Holy Land and the freeing of the Eastern Christians from Islamic rule."

Default Feedback on bulgarian revolt

I play for the dirst time byzantines early in 6.3 more than 50 turns. Ussual I try them at late because is harder. Yes, early campaign is very easy because their powerfull units.
    My feedback is about bulgarian revolt.
    First, was not a bulgarian revolt. Please consult sources, the revolt was a vlach-bulgarian revolt, who would became the Vlach-Bulgarian Tzarate. Why is important? Because vlachs are romanic people, not like romanoi who was greek speakers, the vlachs talked a romanic language like wallachians in northen Danube. Was a strong population predominant in Pindus area, Macedonia and other mountaneous regions in northen Greece and Iliria.
    That revolt was the last strike for byzantines in that area, they never come back there. The bulgarian empire was not so bulgarian.
    My suggestion, the rebel armies must have 2 very powerfull leaders, Ioan and Hassan. They are the future leaders of the rebel state of Vlacho-Bulgaria Tzarate. Now they have some dread and some good units.
    I suggest put them full dread, and add good units in their armyes, some city spears from byzantines, bulgarian brigands, vlach javelins, some cuman archers, sargents swordsmans, etc. These armys must be very, very strong. They must get Sofia but I am not sure if Scopia must be a target. Is posible to add some captain lead rebel armys too. Must be a strong presence because at this point for AI and human players like byzantium is a piece of cake to beat theis rebels.

Some info about vlach-bulgarian revolt here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uprising_of_Asen_and_Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Bulgarian_Empire

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greece/History/Vlachs.html

This is not a dispute, is just my effort to make SS 6.3 better and more hsitorical acurate. Is not my effort tomake greeks or bulgarian people to feel somehow feel this is just a biased thing because I am personally of romanian ethnicity.

Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out!

1. what do you think about making the armenian soldiers recruitable in the castle of Adana? (recruitable by any but muslims, I suppose).

2. The Coat of arms, or how it is called... that image that is displayed for each faction (in the case of HRE, some kind of two-headed black bird on yellow background)... I think that the CoA for the Byzantine Empire looked better in 6.2 than it looks in 6.3 (it had some kind of white bird on purple background).

3. I suggest reducing the number of colors to certain units (like, french feudal knights and french chivalric knights: blue + white + red + yellow + armor's colour + horse color = too many colors).

I suggest changing name of city of Brasov in Kronstadt, Corona orKruhnen. That was the name of city many, many years been founded by german colonists added to defend border of hungarian kingdom. Was a real german city and not hungarian, but under the crown of hungarian kings. Brasov is the romanian name of modern times. Was rich because comerce and autonomous. About Transylvania region were the capital is Kronstadt, the resurces there is not so much the silver. Yes you can found silver in Trasylvania, but most important there in the western mountains, not eastern Carpatians was gold, salt and iron.
    Other imput I want to add will be the fact, there for 70 years the south of Transylvania was the land defended against vlachs/wallacians and cumans by teutonic order. Maybe you dont know but teutonic order after was founded at Acre in Crusader States, moved to Kingdom of Hungary for almost a century. Maybe Hungary must delete battle assasins and hospitaliers/templars, and to get the teutonic order like religious order.
    For Wallachian ruler, who own Targoviste, or Transylvania/Kronstadt will be interesting to get the acillaries of Order of Dragon, like wallachian principe Vlad Dracula the Impaler. If you rule the Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania, you get the crown of Great Dacia, or Greater Wallachia.
    Other thing I want to be changed will be Sofia. Sofia in late campaign is owned by Hungary. This never happend in real history. The father of the greater king of Hungary, Matias Corvinus was the defender of Belgrade, one of the last crusader in 15 century, but that was the most southern point of hungarian get, except Dalmatia. Hungary never rulled Bulgaria. Plus is wierd in AoR system you get hungarian cavalry in Sofia castle, Targoviste and Baia. Same for the AoR archers. In Moldavia/Baia I suggest a Poland or Kievan Rus AoR unit, in Wallachia a byzantine or bulgarian brigands. How sadly is Targoviste is very, very far from Pontus Euxinus/Black Sea to get a port there. That land was controled rarely by wallachian prince, most often by byzantines, bulgarian and for lot of time by otooman turks.
    My feedback for Point Blank was a bit wrong about cumans in Wallachia and Moldavia. He buffed them.
    In my opinion in 1100 that place was more like Pechenegs/bulgarian, so I suggest a very strong rebel garison, steppe units like cumans mostly, but not under their rule.
    In later campaign, we can put cuman khanate there and they are very strong. In fact, if in 1220 and later mongols destroy them in russian fields, in Wallachia and probably Moldavia they have a very strong state. Maybe can be an event, the cumans/russian armys defeat by mongols, is an exact historical fact, and at that time they migrate to west, and became vassals of Hungary. But in 1330 the prince of Wallachia was strong enough not only to beat very hard Carol the Anjou, the king of Hungary, but to claim their independent crown. No need to make a small hsitory lessons but from Basarab family, very probably a cuman family who ruled for long time Walachia, a prince called Mircea the Old, after the defeat of Baiazid Ildirim by Timur Lenk, was powerfull enough to enter in games for power in ottoman empire suporting one of Mehmed brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    1. what do you think about making the armenian soldiers recruitable in the castle of Adana? (recruitable by any but muslims, I suppose).

2. The Coat of arms, or how it is called... that image that is displayed for each faction (in the case of HRE, some kind of two-headed black bird on yellow background)... I think that the CoA for the Byzantine Empire looked better in 6.2 than it looks in 6.3 (it had some kind of white bird on purple background).

3. I suggest reducing the number of colors to certain units (like, french feudal knights and french chivalric knights: blue + white + red + yellow + armor's colour + horse color = too many colors).
    Ideea of adding armenian infantry in AoR is a good ideea. But in any case more like Crusader states and Byzantine Empire than Turks and Fatimids. Armenians played a huge role in Roman Empire and by the way the region is called Cilicia. I always dreamed a Georgia or Cilicia armenia with armenian cavalry/ armenians from cilicia armored archers, armenian archers, and armenian infantry. Their colors does not matter. I like a lot how they look now. Any upgrade must be like crestian units of moors, latinikon or normand units of sicily. Maybe they can be a AoR unit for Adana, Aleppo, Antiochia. Are many units who can be deleted without any complain, like battlefield assasins, azabs, one of turkoman HA units. If they need any insignia, than must be a byzantine one, and a flag for company like Saint Mary iconic image.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is possible to add pavise crossbows in Aor, once you conquer Italy?
    Last edited by Ishan; October 09, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Triple Post

Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out!

Tiro

Hi!

Offends the Nobility trait again....

is there really no way of making REAL revolts? (like Baron Alliance would be awesomely neat, but I know that's impossible)

I mean, when a general gets the "rebel" trait, make them and their city turn rebel (I think along the line of 1. Offends the Nobility is present
    2. Check loyalty and distance: if loyalty< 5 and small distance then rebel ; if loyalty < 8 and big distance then rebel)
    3. check titles: if John has Duke of City and is Rebel ; then City revolts
    4. check position : if John is close to City then City rebels with units from army garrisoned + units from his army ; if John is away from the city then City rebels randomly (like, not much ; with not whole army and other variables) and John revolts with army.

I think i've put that clear. I mean, ain't good at English-stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogolometro
    Plus is wierd in AoR system you get hungarian cavalry in Sofia castle, Targoviste and Baia
    Yeah, that's weird. Instead, I think it would be a good idea to change the name of "Bulgarian Brigands" to "Bulgarian Archers" and add them as AoR in the settlements belonging to Bulgaria. Maybe place cumans or pechengs in Baia and Targoviste, if Targoviste was owned by cumans/pechengs. And I believe Croat Axemen should be recruitable only in Croatia (whether town or castle).

By the way, shouldn't there be some Trebizond warriors, like Trebizond Archers and Trebizond Horse Archers? if yes, it would be nice to recruit them as AoR in Trebizond.

And this AoR makes me wonder... what should be kept as AoR (recruitable in settlements) and what should be mercenaries (recruitable outside the settlement). I mean, if you recruit "Bulgarian Brigands" (or, renamed, "Bulgarian Archers"), what do you do with mercenary "Bulgarian Archers"? or, maybe it's better to have them both: if you do not own the settlement, to be able to recruit them; if you own the settlement, you can inevitably recruit more. Some opinions?

By the way... about the Byzantine Empire, you know, it's nice they have strong units in early and high era. but, because of what happened, they could not evolve to have strong cavalry and strong infantry and arbalesters in the late era. However, if you play with the Byzantine Empire, and at the late period you get to have all the balkans, all the modern turkey and maybe all the territory owned by the Fatimids, it's frustrating not to be able to use modern technology. it would be nice either to make those units available to be recruited as AoR (units like Gendarms, Broken Lancers, etc.) or to be able to recruit them in certain conditions (scripts).

And another suggestion... what do you think about changing the script so that if you have less generals/governors/family members than the total number of settlements, to have an adoption suggestion. As I've noticed, the suggestion does not appear if you receive a marriage suggestion, but it's still ok. It's nice to know you can put governors in all your settlements.