Page 19 of 106 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Gear5 View Post
    yes, the enemy has brothers on his side, so do I! I have comrades too.
    60 vs 100, swordmen always got chances to rush in, even step over dead body of 1st line. i just need 30-40 men in, the 100 pike men would be sheep on my blade.
    Yeah but it's the getting in to the pikemen that's the problem, as I have already said. They dont have chances to rush in because they always have a pike aimed right at them from the multiple ranks of soldiers holding their pikes horizizontal, each one a couple of feet behind the last one. Please find some historical information to back up your opinion.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a cheaper unit being able to take out a more expensive unit. You can take out heavy cavalry with cheap javelin units.
    no, lancer and gothic 9s are the same type. the expensive should win the cheap. like the F-22 should overcome Mig-21, or why USAF spend so much? of course cheap SAM may shoot down F-22, but noway Mig-21.

.......each one a couple of feet behind the last one. Please find some historical information to back up your opinion.
    i dont have it.

no, lancer and gothic 9s are the same type. the expensive should win the cheap. like the F-22 should overcome Mig-21, or why USAF spend so much? of course cheap SAM may shoot down F-22, but noway Mig-21.

i dont have it.
    A F-22 overcomes nothing if the pilot isn't good... and less then nothing if the Mig-21 pilot is better. Also A can stab B with a cheap bronze sword even if B has a jewel encrusted stainless steel one.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

the expensive should win the cheap.
    I'll easily kill you with a cheap handgun even if you have a high-quality longbow worth many times as much (though if you were trained, you'd probably win at a distance)
    Different weapons are better suited for different things.

Or, to pursue your aircraft analogy:
    I'll shoot you down with a SAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Or, to pursue your aircraft analogy:
    I'll shoot you down with a SAM.
    Ah, yes. Or the old "Tanks vs LAWs" issue.

no, lancer and gothic 9s are the same type. the expensive should win the cheap.
    Why should they if the cheaper unit is armed with a weapon more suited to countering heavy armour? Price isn't everything.

like the F-22 should overcome Mig-21, or why USAF spend so much?
    Because they can. There are plenty of less expensive aircraft that can take out a Mig-21.

The first line of pikes have partially recovered, and kill some more of your men.
    dont u overestimate the efficiency of pike?
    Maybe a few make it to the pikes, killing a few men before getting killed by the 3rd and 4th lines of pikes.
    if i rush in a 1 meter circle, how dose pikeman kill me? by punch? if some swordmen fight with some pikemen in mess, how dose the last line of pikemen aim their target?

Your 4th line then rushes in, severely hindered by the bodies. Some make it all the way, kill a few more pikemen.
    ha, the bodies only slow down my men, not the enemy? what a miracle pike!

and, i mentioned SAM already, it is not the same type of F-22.
    Last edited by Gear5; December 14, 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    A F-22 overcomes nothing if the pilot isn't good... and less then nothing if the Mig-21 pilot is better. Also A can stab B with a cheap bronze sword even if B has a jewel encrusted stainless steel one.
    did i say i command rookie lancer vs veteran gothic 9t? no, they r equal EXP.

How could the dead bodies possibly slow down the stationary pikes?
    And how are you planning to get through 4 rows of pikes?

More expensive does not mean it's better at everything.
    One can destroy an armored vehicle with a cheap RPG.
    One can destroy a helicopter with an RPG, or a SAM.
    One can destroy a tank (depending on the quality, though) with an RPG, or a LAW.
    One can destroy a house with a small airplane.
    One can blow up pretty much anything with enough dynamite.
    One can destroy a ship with a single sea-mine.
    One can kill a knight in plate armor with a cheap gun.
    One can take out a horse with a cheap spear.
    One can take out armored knights with a crossbow.
    One can kill macemen with pikes.

dont u overestimate the efficiency of pike?
    I think you underestimate their efficiency. As I said previously, there's a very good reason why pikes dominated the battlefields of late medieval/renaissance times.

if i rush in a 1 meter circle, how dose pikeman kill me? by hand? if some swordmen fight with some pikemen in mess, how dose the last line of pikemen aim their target?
    It's the getting to the pikemen that's the problem, as has been stated previously. It was VERY VERY difficult for infantry to get to the pikemen. That is why pikemen were faced against other pikemen. Why waste lives trying to get through a wall of 12 foot spears when you can use your own 12 foot spears to do the same thing. Seriously dude, I suggest reading up on pikes and pike tactics because your opinions aren't backed up by historical facts.

ha, the bodies only slow down my men, not the enemy? what a miracle pike!
    Because it's your men who are moving. They're trying to push their way through the pikes. The pikemen are either stationary or only moving very slowly. Pikes were only able to move slowly on the battlefield because their strength lay in their cohesion. If the pike formation broke up, then infantry could indeed get in close and kill the pikemen.

How could the dead bodies possibly slow down the stationary pikes?
    And how are you planning to get through 4 rows of pikes?

More expensive does not mean it's better at everything.
    One can destroy an armored vehicle with a cheap RPG.
    One can destroy a helicopter with an RPG, or a SAM.
    One can kill macemen with pikes.
    did i say i command lancer vs spear?
    dont mention SAM again, they are not the SAME TYPE. i say cavalry vs cavalry.

You know, pikemen and macemen are not the same type, either.
    They have completely different styles of combat. By Medieval standards they're roughly as different as SAMs and aircraft are by modern standards.
    Short-range infantry are easily defeated by pikemen as they cannot get through the 3+ rows of pikes unless their formation breaks (for example due to another attack from behind or the flanks), just like aircraft are easily defeated by SAMs.

You know, pikemen and macemen are not the same type, either.
    They have completely different styles of combat. By Medieval standards they're roughly as different as SAMs and aircraft are by modern standards.
    ok, u r right.

Because it's your men who are moving. They're trying to push their way through the pikes. The pikemen are either stationary or only moving very slowly.
    i mean, if some dead meat lie between soldiers, or hang on ur spear head, u wont use ur pike so easy.

I would realy like to see some custom/special settlements maps

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu Of Belgium View Post
    I would realy like to see some custom/special settlements maps
    Wouldn't we all

Tiro

Hi!
    I was wondering if you could modify the Heavy Hussars a bit; modify their model. They just should have longer sabres, possibly even another model of sabre, cause the present one isn't too realistic IMO. It should just get bigger.

Thanks for great mod, that is even greater on 16:9 24" monitor xD

you should make all peasant-level units (like akontistai) militia. I can't understand why some peasant units are militia (and thus, have free upkeep while in settlements) while others are not. for instance, why should akontistai not have free upkeep in settlements?

also western "Spearmen" should be replaced with "Spear militia"... and made upgradeable to the quality of "Spearmen".

by the way, I don't understand why you guys have reduced the number of upkeeps in large towns from 3 to 2. I think it was better to have 3 at a large town (my custom was to recruit 2 spear militia and one crossbow/archer militia there)
    Last edited by Zenith_Zenith; December 14, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    you should make all peasant-level units (like akontistai) militia. I can't understand why some peasant units are militia (and thus, have free upkeep while in settlements) while others are not. for instance, why should akontistai not have free upkeep in settlements?

also western "Spearmen" should be replaced with "Spear militia"... and made upgradeable to the quality of "Spearmen".

by the way, I don't understand why you guys have reduced the number of upkeeps in large towns from 3 to 2. I think it was better to have 3 at a large town (my custom was to recruit 2 spear militia and one crossbow/archer militia there)
    Wether a unit is free upkeep or not tend to depend on wether they're on permenant wage or if they simply have other day jobs .. some militia units were kepted on a permament bases... so ...

but either way , things like that and upkeep slot is very very easy to mod, just open your EDU/EDB and change around some numbers / attributes, if you change just those things it won't break your save game.

As fore Spearman , I have no idea why they done it like that to be honest, it use to be Spearman = Sergeant Spearman and current Sergeant spearman = Armoured Sergeants, but for some reason they changed the Armoued sergeatns to spearman sergeants and the ole Sergeant spearmen to spearmen.

In my own mod I just change the Spearman back to Sergeant Spear and changed the Armoured Sergeants to an early polearm sergeant.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

re:swords v pikes
    zweihander swords/men were specifically used for this purpose vs pikes.
    interesting thread here:
    http://swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101346

Segador's Avatar Libertus
    Barcelona (Catalonia) -`s-Hertogenbosch (Netherland)

Why now the Crown of Aragon have a lot red lines in the shield it should be 4 red lines. Like the shield of Catalonia.

In the 6.1 was good.