Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627284368 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Jaujon View Post
    Is it normal that I have super fast battles and units with almost no defence? Is there any way to fix it?
    1. This is the suggestions topic for making suggestions on how to improve SS.
    2. Define no defense. SS uses RealCombat stats which change stats from vanilla significantly.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    1. This is the suggestions topic for making suggestions on how to improve SS.
    2. Define no defense. SS uses RealCombat stats which change stats from vanilla significantly.
    Suggestion n°1: To slow down unit movement speed on the battlefield, in order to decrease the feeling of playing in 2x speed.

Suggestion n°2: Raise up defense stats so that infantry groups don't loose 50 units in 3 seconds when fighting other infantry (I had this case ingame yetserday). For example, archers and crossbowmen have 0 defense (or perhaps I'm not playing SS 6.3).
    "IN NOMINE XPI VINCAS SEMPER" - Au nom du Christ tu vaincras toujours.

Suggestion n°1: To slow down unit movement speed on the battlefield, in order to decrease the feeling of playing in 2x speed.
    descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt is the file you want decrease the numbers to your liking and they will be slow like hell.
    Suggestion n°2: Raise up defense stats so that infantry groups don't loose 50 units in 3 seconds when fighting other infantry (I had this case ingame yetserday). For example, archers and crossbowmen have 0 defense (or perhaps I'm not playing SS 6.3).
    A single army can have a max of 20 units not 50 and surely they can't be killed in 3 seconds so don't exaggerate.
    For increasing the defense values export_descr_unit.txt file is the one you want it's a self-explanatory file so modify the defense values to your taste.

there should be defenititly more buildings mutch more buildings....more regions (ive possible would be fun to). In broken Crecent has got mutch unique buildings i like that. and like every important city mutch got 3 unique buildings at least!!

+rep is always back

Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    there should be defenititly more buildings mutch more buildings....more regions (ive possible would be fun to).
    SS is already at the hardcoded region limit. More cannot be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    descr_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt is the file you want decrease the numbers to your liking and they will be slow like hell.

A single army can have a max of 20 units not 50 and surely they can't be killed in 3 seconds so don't exaggerate.
    For increasing the defense values export_descr_unit.txt file is the one you want it's a self-explanatory file so modify the defense values to your taste.
    Thanks so much!

I meant 50 soldiers of one unit, sorry.
    "IN NOMINE XPI VINCAS SEMPER" - Au nom du Christ tu vaincras toujours.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith_Zenith View Post
    "building" means a building like barracks, church, Hagia Sophia, etc. I can't imagine how a description and the bonuses can be given otherwise.

hm... when did the christians conquer Mecca?

the problems with the "ancillary"-s are that:
    1. they have a very short description (consider how large description a building can have).
    2. there must be a governor there so you would be able to read the description and receive the bonuses.
    3. the ancillary-s do not apply to the buildings themselves, but to the governor - wherever he goes.
    Well, it's kind of a good idea, but really, if someone is interested, then they can read a book or simply wiki it up. @when: I meant when in-game conquest is in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan
    @Ziame
    I haven't read the previous convo but what are you talking about? You want cities or settlements with historical description?
    Not me -> Zenith_Zenith (BTW thanks for the help with silver units: it works like a charm.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziame View Post
    Well, it's kind of a good idea, but really, if someone is interested, then they can read a book or simply wiki it up. @when: I meant when in-game conquest is in effect.

Not me -> Zenith_Zenith (BTW thanks for the help with silver units: it works like a charm.)
    really? how many people started to read a book about a city or wiki-ed it up after conquering it? anyway, it might be a bad idea...

really? how many people started to read a book about a city or wiki-ed it up after conquering it? anyway, it might be a bad idea...
    An easy work around to this is you can create a historic event when the player conquers the city for the first time that will tell the historical importance etc.
    Or you could also link a video to this event.

just a question... are you going to put more governors in the Roman Empire (for settlements like Corinth, Athens, Iraklion, etc.) in the future ss6.3 updates? I'd do this myself, but... it's not the same with the "official" version... besides the fact that it is very possible that I would give too many very good qualities, thus awfully breaking any balance in the game - because I love the Byzantine Empire.

just a question... are you going to put more governors in the Roman Empire (for settlements like Corinth, Athens, Iraklion, etc.) in the future ss6.3 updates? I'd do this myself, but... it's not the same with the "official" version... besides the fact that it is very possible that I would give too many very good qualities, thus awfully breaking any balance in the game - because I love the Byzantine Empire.
    I'm not sure if this issue would be fixed in future updates, but I'm definitely gonna add more generals and governors to each faction in my little historical mod.
    Just wait till I finish it!

Gothic Knight is too strong to balance the game.
    it cost $1400, compose of 24 men, Lancer cost $2700, compose of 32 men. but Gothic defeat Lancer every time! WHY?
    and $380 Pike Militia defeat $790 Fed Foot Knight too. SO whats the benefit to recruit "elite" troops? are they really elite? or idiot?

bug: Crossbow Militia in Papal State has no proper icon in custom battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gear5 View Post
    Gothic Knight is too strong to balance the game.
    it cost $1400, compose of 24 men, Lancer cost $2700, compose of 32 men. but Gothic defeat Lancer every time! WHY?
    Because Gothic Knights are armed with maces that have the AP attribute that halve their enemy's armour.

and $380 Pike Militia defeat $790 Fed Foot Knight too. SO whats the benefit to recruit "elite" troops? are they really elite? or idiot?
    You really expect guys on foot to be able to penetrate a wall of 12 foot spears? An "elite" unit doesn't mean it's invincible. Every unit has it's weakness. You put some archers or crossbowmen up against those pikemen and see how long they last.

Would it be possible to add a Mali faction? I've seen it previewed for another mod, but it's not going to be released any time soon. And besides SS is my favourite Middle Age era mod so I'd much rather have it in anyways.

Odenat

Quote Originally Posted by Odenathus View Post
    Would it be possible to add a Mali faction? I've seen it previewed for another mod, but it's not going to be released any time soon. And besides SS is my favourite Middle Age era mod so I'd much rather have it in anyways.

Odenat
    Not gonna happen any time soon in SS. Though there is Regions & provinces mod that has it so you might wanna check that out.

Because Gothic Knights are armed with maces that have the AP attribute that halve their enemy's armour.
    well then, it should not be recruited at low price.

You really expect guys on foot to be able to penetrate a wall of 12 foot spears? An "elite" unit doesn't mean it's invincible. Every unit has it's weakness. You put some archers or crossbowmen up against those pikemen and see how long they last.
    yes, i think infantry with shields can push spear head left or right easily(lever principle), then rush in. soldier with sword takes much advantage than long spear in close combat. Only horse cannot handle enemy's long spear, because it is not agile. (u could try this with ur friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Gear5 View Post
    well then, it should not be recruited at low price.
    There is nothing wrong with a cheaper unit being able to take out a more expensive unit. You can take out heavy cavalry with cheap javelin units.

yes, i think infantry with shields can push spear head left or right easily(lever principle), then rush in.
    Nope. Because after you push away one pike with your shield, you are very much open to attack by either the pikes next to that one or the ones just behind it. Dont forget that pikes weren't just deployed in a single row: you had the first 3 or 4 rows of soldiers holding their pikes horizontal. So even if you batted the first pike aside with your shield, you'd get skewered by the guy standing behind the guy whose pike you just got out of the way. There is a reason why pikemen were the dominant force on the battlefield for their time. And a reason why they were deployed with crossbows at first and later firearms.

Nope. Because after you push away one pike with your shield, you are very much open to attack by either the pikes next to that one or the ones just behind it. Dont forget that pikes weren't just deployed in a single row: you had the first 3 or 4 rows of soldiers holding their pikes horizontal. So even if you batted the first pike aside with your shield, you'd get skewered by the guy standing behind the guy whose pike you just got out of the way. There is a reason why pikemen were the dominant force on the battlefield for their time. And a reason why they were deployed with crossbows at first and later firearms.
    Aye.
    in simple terms it's not about one on one combat otherwise the SS team would have done it.

Nope. Because after you push away one pike with your shield, you are very much open to attack by either the pikes next to that one or the ones just behind it. Dont forget that pikes weren't just deployed in a single row: you had the first 3 or 4 rows of soldiers holding their pikes horizontal.
    yes, the enemy has brothers on his side, so do I! I have comrades too.
    60 vs 100, swordmen always got chances to rush in, even step over dead body of 1st line. i just need 30-40 men in, the 100 pike men would be sheep on my blade.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

So, what would happen is:
    Your 1st line blocks most of the 1st line of the pikes. Some get skewered.
    Then most of your 1st line get skewered by the 2nd line of pikes.
    Your 2nd line continues across the dead men. Some stumble or get slowed down by the bodies, and get skewered on pikes. The first line of pikes have partially recovered, and kill some more of your men. The rest of your 2nd line gets killed by the 2nd and 3rd lines of pikes.
    Your 3rd line rushes in. Even more bodies are in the way now, so they get severely slowed down and many get killed. Maybe a few make it to the pikes, killing a few men before getting killed by the 3rd and 4th lines of pikes.
    Your 4th line then rushes in, severely hindered by the bodies. Some make it all the way, kill a few more pikemen.
    By now, most of your troops are dead, with only a small fraction of the pikemen dead.
    The rest of your men rout, surrender, or get killed. You lose the fight.