Page 14 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    Could I use your units?
    Carry such delicate matters via PM's gentlemen.

LiquidSantanero's Avatar Miles
    Aruba, (in the Caribean, not Middle-East)

Oh, that's a bummer, about the "Queen" thing. It just reminded me about SubRosa's Amazon: Total War mod. I thought that if she could do it, then so can you. On the other hand, thanks for the info. I'll be checking it out in a minute.

I've checked how to mod the descr_sm_factions and the forum of how to get a rebel general to marry one of your princesses. Now, will this work as well if you bribe them, I mean, bribe them with money and thus get'em into your family tree?
    1 other thing, I haven't played with any muslim factions yet, but they never seem to have any princesses in campaign map. Can they have princesses at all? And what about if you bribe someone else faction general, do you still get him in your family tree? There is one more thing I forgot to ask. It's about your princess marying another faction's general. I understand that if your french princess or any other faction princess marries a spanish or any other faction that doesn't have french names, the engine will randomly choose a name for your offsprings. But what about if your princess marries a Crusader State general. Why can't the engine give their kids the same name as their fathers? I mean, both faction have french names. Is it hardcoded or something? 1 other thing. And this is a noob question but then again, I'm no McGyver like you guys and I'm not skilled in IT stuff. What will happen if you give rebel faction a family tree, is it hardcoded, will it cause the game to crash or something?
    I appologize for asking these questions in this forum. I know it's not the toppic of this thread.
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; November 11, 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: double post

OK so I've played TW games since shogun, and m2tw was the worst one ever. I love the medieval scenario, but this game was unplayable at first. when i stumbled on this mod a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe how much better it was than the original. Tech tree make sense, better start year, and AI is about 50x better, CHARGES WORK, and it looks great!. but after a while of playing some problems came up, and i though I'd give some constructive criticism, so here is a list of my issues with the mod at 6.3. most of these are left over from the game so they could be hard-coded, but I'll list them anyway. and sorry if these have been said already.
    -enemy merchants never lose
    -i can attack an army right next to a city, forcing a vastly outnumbered garrison to sally out and give up the city. maybe you can have the AI choose to not use reinforcements in guaranteed failure situations or not leave stacks next to cities
    -can't merge navy's sometimes (admirals without any rank)
    -Moors attacked me on a bridge, and didn't seem to realize they were attacking. just stood there till time ran out while being pelted with ballista. funnily i could provoke them by sending in a unit, but I had to loose enough guys or else they wouldn't budge.
    -generals don't get enough command. this was only an issue on some campaigns, but i would go 5 or so battles, some with full stacks, and no one got command skill.
    -factions will come trying to extort me for like 200 bucks. wtf? (give us 200, accept or we will attack)... just seems like an odd deal, especially because it comes from tiny factions sometimes.
    - EXP! It always annoyed me how much XP cavalry got vs infantry. if 1 or 2 units of spear men hold a gate for a whole battle, and the enemy routs, and my knights go and captures all of them, the spear men should get more xp than the knights!!!
    I let little things like this bother me, but beyond these few complaints you have completed the total war experience. Thanks

To Owl_Killer:
    Some of the things you said I agree with. For example the Generals ranking system, I could win a battle when outnumbered, sometimes even 3 to 1 odds and hardly lose less than a 3rd of a full stack of my army and don't even get a famous victory, let alone rank up (getting stars). But in my game, the merchants do lose, ocasionaly. They win most of the time but they do lose. What's up with other factions trying to extort you? I always use that as an excuse to declare war.
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; November 11, 2010 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSantanero View Post
    I've checked how to mod the descr_sm_factions and the forum of how to get a rebel general to marry one of your princesses. Now, will this work as well if you bribe them, I mean, bribe them with money and thus get'em into your family tree?
    Yes you still can bribe them and then marry them etc. These are game basics nothing technical about it.

1 other thing, I haven't played with any muslim factions yet, but they never seem to have any princesses in campaign map. Can they have princesses at all? And what about if you bribe someone else faction general, do you still get him in your family tree? There is one more thing I forgot to ask but forgot. It's about your princess marying another faction's general. I understand that if your french princess marries a spanish or any other faction that doesn't have french names, the engine will randomly choose a name for your offsprings. But what about if your princess marying a Crusader State general. Why can't the engine give their kids the same name as their fathers? I mean, both faction have french names. Is it hardcoded or something?
    I appologize for asking these questions in this forum. I know it's not the toppic of this thread.
    Princesses are disabled by default in game and can be modded and inserted for the Islamic factions. As for the name thing it's hardcoded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yes you still can bribe them and then marry them etc. These are game basics nothing technical about it.

Princesses are disabled by default in game and can be modded and inserted for the Islamic factions. As for the name thing it's hardcoded.
    Really? So if I enable it, the Islamic princesses be shown on campaign map? If yes, which files do I have to temper with? How will they look, dressed in Burka, or just like any other European faction, does this count also for the Cumans?
    Another question, I've asked this in the bugreport thread so I think it will be removed soon.
    And you can count this also as a suggestion, so I can use it as looppole in case someone posting that these question should be asked in another thread.
    I've been editing the names and desc_names, mainly adding numbers behind faction leaders and heirs, and also local by_names. I added: "de_Antioch, de_Edessa, de_Galilea, de_Tripoli, de_Ebelin" and a few more historical ones. Anyways, de_Antioch shows on the campaign map "de_Antioc", missing the "h" in the end, and "de_Galilea" missing the "a" in the end. de_Tripoli looks the same, thank god, but when I created a character with "de_Edessa" and chose a faction the game wouldn't even start, I just kept pressing the Crusader States Icon in faction select menu like a mad man. Does the names.bin (VLC icon) in the text folder have anything to do with this? And also, when I add numbers behind the characters of the crown of Aragon, when giving Sancho or whatever, a Sancho_V behind his name, in the campaign map, only the dead faction leader is shown in the family tree, and all the other characters, heir and current leader included, are shown on the campaign map, but not in the family tree.I'll be extremely grateful if you could tell me anything about this matter. Thanks
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; November 12, 2010 at 01:54 AM.

Really? So if I enable it, the Islamic princesses be shown on campaign map? If yes, which files do I have to temper with?
    Can we keep this topic more about suggestions?

suggestion then.
    add Ottoman Sultanate/Caliph. Make their roster the same as Seljuk Sultanate and make the Jannisaries an exclusive unit for Ottomans. Remove some ahistorical units to create space, (sherwood archers, cavalry militia?) your choice. Same suggestion as I posted previously, add the island of Malta at the expence of 1 Steppes or far East settlement that had no historical importance, no offence intended. Add correct names for faction leaders, heirs, renown generals (numericals behind names?) I did it myself at 1 point, sorry. But after messing a little bit more with it, the game wouldn't get passed faction select screen, so I've to start all over again.

I really would've wanted more settlements in the game, but that's impossible, as stated. But general ranking, trait or ancillary should be fixed. It's retarded that a general can win 10 battles in a row and still not get a single star for his accomplishments.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I really would've wanted more settlements in the game, but that's impossible, as stated. But general ranking, trait or ancillary should be fixed. It's retarded that a general can win 10 battles in a row and still not get a single star for his accomplishments.
    That's intended. You have to fight with the odds against you to gain command stars. It was far too easy to get stars in vanilla so SS makes it much harder. Anyway you dont need command stars to beat the AI.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

I like playing with odds against me, but I mean, after 5 or 6 battles with odds against me, I still don't get a single star. How many battles do I have to fight to earn a star with oneven odds anyways, 20, 30, 40? Btw what's being considered oneven? 4 to 1, 5 to 1? 3 to 1 didn't earn me any stars. And what about every other faction generals get so many stars without even fighting? Like you said, you don't need stars, but having stars, depending on which trait you get, can make a difference in the unit moral issue
    Last edited by LiquidSantanero; November 15, 2010 at 01:27 PM.

Tiro

Icon3 Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions

Hi!
    Small suggestions unitwise:

Please, remove all those kinds of horse archers; simplifying would be much appreciated by many of us. (I am thinking fe. Steppe Horse Archers instead of Kazaks, Pechenegs, Turkopoles, Turkomans and so on)

Please, change the description of Kwarizmian (sp?) mercenaries, as in late campaign it fairly rare makes sense. (about destroyed Khwarezm, while it's at the apex of power, fe. .

AoR units Cossack Arquebusiers and Cossack Light Cavalry would be cool too (in Kiev regions)

Oh, and simplifying the boats would be nice. One kind of battleships, that gets upgraded if city has cannons would be more than enough. Dunno bout the others I just click two holks, two cogs, two gun cogs every time I need a fleet fast. I'd prefer 6 battle ships. But that's my opinion.

Well, I'm writing bout units so, btw, Merchant Militia has no texture when rebel

And a suggestion AI-wise:

I was thinking about England: it sucks as it's just stuck on their little Isle. So: is it possible to change the icon of the green arrow that was linking Britain with continent? You could replace it with a gif or something that'd just be ships cruising both ways to simulate ferries (could be even same as old trade-ship ani).
    And then, you could prolly link England with Ireland and with the continent with sense and cool visage.

Because come on, they're just battling with the scots all the time and nothing comes out of it. They lose their European estates and are stuck on Britain; won't even conquer stupid Ireland.

Wooo.

EDIT: Oh, and shouldn't Lithuanian Archers look different from Levy Archers?
    Last edited by Ziame; November 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Texture and model suggestions.

After not playing Stainless Steel for about two years, I reinstalled it again yesterday, fully updated.

There really are some great changes there, but as always, its usually the appearance of the troops that concerns me most. Heres a summary, the details are written further down the post.

1. Order Knights and bodyguard upgrades.
    2. Order troops skins.
    3. Kingdom of Jerusalem bodyguard upgrade fix.
    4. Dismounted Mailed Knights.
    5. Mounted Mailed Knights.

1. Order Knights and bodyguard upgrades.
    I am fine with templars and such being thrown in full plate when upgraded since I am very capable of removing all visual upgrades and preserve their realistic appearance, thats simple enough.

But would it not be better if all order knights would use the ritterbruder body model when upgrading to plate armor? That way their surcoat which was very important to identify them could remain. The helmets would need to be changed to the familiar great helm of course, and perhaps some orders such as montessa and santiago could have different helmets.

Its just a waste right now, there is a perfectly good plate armored knight model with a surcoat and its not used outside the teutonic order.

I think this model would also be good for early bodyguards, to set them apart from feudal knights.

2. Order troops skins.
    I noticed some downright hideous coloring on many order troops, mostly the templars and st.Lazarus troops. The green and red colors should be darkened a little and the white should be a bit less white. They also share an issue with hospitaller troops on the helmets, whats supposed to be gold is bright yellow. That does not look like gold. A softer yellow that looks perhaps a bit more brownish would look much better.

3. Kingdom of Jerusalem bodyguard upgrade fix.
    As it is the upgraded Jerusalem bodyguards use the skin of vanilla partial plate english knights. If a vanilla skin is going to be used for them, the papal states partial plate skin would be much more accurate.

4. Dismounted Mailed Knights.
    They do not look like knights at all, they look like sword sergeants. They should appear exactly the same as their mounted counterparts with and without upgrade.

5. Mounted Mailed Knights.
    I am guessing them having been switched to thinner lances is more accurate, but they keep holding their hands rather wide open which makes the thin lances look very rediculous. I would suggest to either switch back to the original lances that where used, or fix that hand issue, maybe by turning them into lancers and not knights.

More suggestions might follow as I continue to play the game.

Default Re: Texture and model suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    More suggestions might follow as I continue to play the game.
    Topic merged with suggestion topic.

Xerovlade's Avatar Laetus

This has probably been asked before, but I'm too lazy to search through the archives.
    Therefore, have there been thoughts of adding more religions such as Judaism and ah...etc.
    As well as more unique buildings that add small bonus' and/or more flavor to the game?
    It just gets bland waiting to build the same buildings over and over again when your like me (one who can't keep a long running campaign/or why are there several stacks of armies next of my cities?/or I've done this before with 'x' faction).

I've scaned through the posts but maybe I missed it and it has ben said before.

Double check to make sure that really all the units with 2hand sword / axe / hammer etc have a bonus against cav and that all units with blunt weapons have AP. Right off the top of my head I know that Crusader States dismounted Knights of St. Lazerus do not have bonus against cav ( I play SS6.3 with the mod compilation) btw they look to much like peppermint to me (I know that was their color but maybe make the green a bit darker - more forest green)
    Many such units (dismounted cav / knights) have shilds on their back but shild value 0 in their stats. Kind of strange.
    When mace units dont have AP (like imperial knights) maybe dont mention their supposed effectivness against armor in the unit description.
    The attack animation of the spearman vs cav is used also with 2hand swords and 2hand axe. It still goes with the sword - stabbing only- But when 2hand axe "stab" the cav with a weapon that has not pointy tip it looks akward. They never slash - only stab.

Some units dont have sergeants. The 2hand axe men mercs you get in scandinavia and the svenner from norway (they also dont have a guy to carry a flag like other cav units - like the scouts of denmark.

I'd like to see the captain / general make the "move forward" gesture with the sword again like in vanilla when you issue a move order. All the other sergeants do it.

Maybe make "next heir crown" compatible with Grim Rality - it would be neat to be able to use it there. More so since once you reach centralised recruitment only king and heir are fully functional. So it is all the more important that they have good stats. Chosing the next heir and nurture him in advance would be good.

Even if nothing of the above is fixed - still great mod+ submods. The game would be long lost on me if I still had to play vanilla.
    Last edited by Arowaner; November 21, 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Arowaner View Post
    Many such units (dismounted cav / knights) have shilds on their back but shild value 0 in their stats. Kind of strange.
    Intended. Because the shield is on the back, it doesn't provide protection like a shield in use. Instead the unit gets +1 to their armour stat.

When mace units dont have AP (like imperial knights) maybe dont mention their supposed effectivness against armor in the unit description.
    Imperial knights do have the AP stat. It's on their secondary weapon (i.e. the mace).

Some units dont have sergeants. The 2hand axe men mercs you get in scandinavia and the svenner from norway
    What do you mean by sergeants?

(they also dont have a guy to carry a flag like other cav units - like the scouts of denmark.
    Not all units are supposed to.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Make religious conversion MUCH MUCH MUCH slower then what it is. I recommend having something similar to BC. In BC its quite hard to convert cities; and although it does not need to be THAT extreme, Jerusalem should not be converted to 100% Catholicism THAT quickly either, so I suggest that something be done to slow down dramatically that progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    Intended. Because the shield is on the back, it doesn't provide protection like a shield in use. Instead the unit gets +1 to their armour stat.

Imperial knights do have the AP stat. It's on their secondary weapon (i.e. the mace).

What do you mean by sergeants?

Not all units are supposed to.

1. Ah ok - that is fine then - just looked like they dont get any bonus for that. I mean pavise crossbowmen have their shilds on their back and it is written in the stats

2. Right. Just checked the unit file - sec is blunt, so ok then. I am guessing the "at a glance" in the unit description in game only lists primary weapon attributes maybe. Because "effective against armor" is missing there for the cav imp knights.

3&4. By sergeants I mean the officer/captain each or most unit has in battle. The guy with the sword in front and left of the unit. Some more professional units also have guys who carry banners with them. I'd like to see that really each and every unit has such a leader and that more units get banners, at least all cav (except horse archers maybe). It is great to check after the battle if he is still alive and scan the battlefield for the banners. Loved doing that in ROME alrady. And it is even historical correct since in medieval battles there were banners and flags everywere.

Apart from the dismounted St. Lazerus Knights the french Voulgiers also do not have bonus against cav. In both cases I dont see why not. They both use sort of a polearm that should give them a bonus. The Voulgiers unit description in game even says so.

All these are very very minor things. Doesn't change the fact that I love the mod!

Would be nice to hear more audio when armys are clashing and fighting. Not sure if this is possible tho.

Quote Originally Posted by soulson View Post
    Would be nice to hear more audio when armys are clashing and fighting. Not sure if this is possible tho.
    We can replace with new SFX but can't put new ones.