Page 1 of 106 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

gracul's Avatar 404 Not Found
    Artifex

Default Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4 Suggestions

Stainless Steel 6.3 & 6.4
    the suggestions thread!

Time to open a suggestions thread strictly for the latest release of the series - SS6.3.

There is a patch being prepared which will hopefully fix all the bugs found in 6.3 and shall add new content.
    What new content will it add? It's also up to you
    Post your suggestions here about what to add/change. Giving links to submods will also increase their chance of showing up in a new release!
    Last edited by gracul; January 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Stainless Steel 6.3 Suggestions!

Other than fixing the minor bugs included in the released bug fixes-

Suggest- custom campaigns for Stainless Steel- maybe in regional areas of war such as the 100 Years War- Baltic War (Teutonic Crusade), the Crusades itself, Germanic Civil War (Holy Roman Empire)- all using Stainless Steel units

I am currently making my own but ones from professional modders including events and all that would be a great boost to the mod giving both variety and more game play time!!

This would require some time but not much since mapping is relatively easy

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

I very rarely find myself frustrated with anything about SS, and the only frustrations come from hardcoded things (family tree issues, crossbows, etc.), but since there are faction slots available, but not units, I'd be interested in seeing more faction/s by getting rid of a couple redundant units. I don't even know which factions would make sense, and this may be too large of a project for a mid-6 patch.

I wonder if there may be a way to increase mercenary unit pools? I have found, as both Aragon and Portugal, that there are very very limited mercs. Often, if I hire 2-3 one turn, there will be no more available for quite a few turns (5+). I don't want there to be huge amounts of mercs, but RR/RC is supposed to make us rely more on mercs, which is difficult when there aren't any available.

I'm particularly interested in some kind of good spear mercs available in Spain pre-1200. Relying on spear militia is hard against Lancers.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

gracul,

I very much like 6.3 as it, other than the fixes that require, the only sub mod which would make life quicker would be FTT:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=377983

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I'd back the idea of getting more campaign maps up and running for SS6.3 - like the ones PB has in his RC/RR compilation.

plus any more that people can develop.

other than that bug fixes are great especially the GUI bug that causes random CTDs.

at this stage I'm not greatly inspired by the idea of new factions.

(but we might think of a later version of SS with a totally revised 1100AD campaign faction list.)

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Improvements to the sub-mod manager:

• Each campaign should have a different file, instead of all being in campaign.ini. Currently, there's no way to add two campaigns from different authors at once without editing the file manually. This is currently not a problem, since I'm the only one who has released separate campaigns so far, but it will become a problem in the future (Roz mod, for example)
    • Make it possible to exit the sub-mod manager after choosing a campaign
    • Make a back-button for after choosing a campaign, clicking the wrong one happens easily
    • Make it possible to assign more than one group to a sub-mod, or automatically make any sub-mods that edit the same files mutually exclusive
    • Adding to the traits and ancillary files like one can add to the campaign script would be nice
    • Numerals in campaign names shouldn't cause problems
    • An "apply changes without starting SS" button would be nice
    • Auto-border-less mode should be toggle-able from the sub-mod manager
    • A settings pane for default.cfg would be nice (the suggestion above could be put in there)

First of all, please accept my thank you for anyone who create or support the stainless steel mod.
    Without your hardworking, I believe I may not have a chance to understand the western history so deeply or interested in it.

It is my first reply on this forums and this mod, I understand I cannot compare with the experienced players, but may I give out my little opinion on it?

After playing the Byzantine Empire about 30 turns, I get the Explorers' Guild on my Capital.
    But then suddenly I find out a question, why it says that I have availabled a trade fleet,
    I still not see any change on my Capital's income.

Finally, I think I understand the reason. The word "available" is mean "only" but not "add or plus".
    It comes out a problem, the port itself has already have 1 sea trade route,
    that mean the Explorers' Guild has no benefit on sea trade (1 + 1 = 1), then why add this function on it?

At the same time, could you strengthen the sea trade on Merchant's Wharf, Warehouse and the Dockland? When I spend 2000 dollars for a Merchant's Wharf, beacuse of it "available = 1",
    I spend for nothing as same as the Explorer's Guild, so could you increase the base value of Merchant's Wharf, Warehouse and the Dockland by 1. So that they can get back the right place they should be,
    like the pictures below.

If you think that it still not need to make any change, I will accept it. It is because you spend so much time to create this mod and you own the right to decide change anything or not. But I think my suggestion may improve the sea trade and make the importance of the cities increased.

Thank you for spend time reading my reply.

I'd like to see the final release of Point Blank's RR/RC (August 13) including in the next patch for 6.3, if he allows it of course.

Same for me. The only bothering things are hardcoded. What would be nice are new animations. Of course I don't think that's in your department but, yet again, the only thing I can think of...
    Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    You expect to use Assassins and NOT be considered a dreadful leader?
    It's all about honor, and stabbing someone in the dark without giving them a fair chance to fight back is about as nasty as it gets.
    Assassins = Dread. The end.
    "Lost all hope in humanity" count: 7

Honestly, there isn't really much to improve on...at all. There are really only four things I'd like to see in a SS 6.4 - faster turn times, a fix for the few remaining CtDs (especially the ones when loading a battle!), a slightly decreased number of units (you can use the art files from removed units to make more armor upgrades for units that are kept in the game), allowing two more factions to be put in (I understand the reasons for Ireland's removal, but it would be neat to see, as well as a Sweden or Georgia), and, finally, and I know this will never happen, new death animations. I'm not talking about the fatalities - those are fine - but the standard animations (the fall slowly backwards/kneel and fall on face). They're so....I don't know, lame, and have always been one of my main gripes with M2TW. If you could fix that, SS would rise from the ranks of the legendary to the immortal. Again, these are all minor issues, slight mars on the face of perfection, but if they could be fixed, well, that would make a truly incredible patch.

Coder on Dark Ages: Roman Revival, the alternate history mod for BI.

Under the Patronage of Augustus Lucifer, member of the House of Ward.

My favorite mod. Thanks for all the hard work!

If possible, in a future release perhaps, it would be nice to have at least one province on the map with 2 or more resources of the same exact type. There is an entire set of merchant traits, the monopolist trait line (capitalist, market controller and monopolist), which can't be triggered because there is no province with 2 or more of the same resource.

The trigger affected is:

Trigger Merchant_Monopoly
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition AgentType = merchant
    and TradingMonopoly
    and DistanceCapital >= 100

Affects Monopolist 1 Chance 50

;------------------------------------------

Trigger Merchant_Monopoly_2
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition AgentType = merchant
    and TradingMonopoly
    and DistanceCapital < 100

Affects Monopolist 1 Chance 25

;------------------------------------------

The condition which can't exist without at least once province with 2 or more of the same resource is TradingMonopoly. A merchant (or multiple merchants of the same faction) gain that condition by controlling 50% or more of the same resource in a province; but only if there is more than one of that resource in the province. Just one of a resource type, such as one grain or one silver, won't meet the condition. If, however, there are 2 of a particular resource type in a province, then a merchant controls 50% or more if he sits on one of the two and the other is vacant. Likewise, 2 of the same faction's merchants control the resource if they sit on both. If a competing faction sits on the other resource of the two, then the condition stops. It works upwards from there. For example, if there are 3 resources of the same type in a province, then 2 merchants of the same faction sitting on 2 of the 3 would control it, even if a competing merchant was on the third, and so on. Both of the controlling faction's merchants would have the 25% or 50% (depending on distance to capitol) chance of triggering the merchant skill increase line of monopolist.

In SS 6.3 (and all of the preceding versions of SS), there is no province on the map with 2 or more of the same resource. Even if it is just one province somewhere out in the corner of the map, it will work. For my personal use, I alter the desc_strat file and change a resource in each faction's starting capitol province so that all of the capitol provinces (or nearby provinces for those too small, like Oporto) have 2 of the same resource. This allows each faction the opportunity to gain the monopolist trait line on a merchant or merchants. It doesn't matter what the resource is, as long as there is at least one province with 2 of that resource. Fish, grain and fur work just as well as the higher value resources. I don't ever make 2 gold in the same province, because gold becomes excessively rich when you do so using the usual higher base value of gold, because of the next affect which is missing from SS due to the lack of multiple resources of the same type in a single province.

Whenever a merchant gains the TradingMonopoly condition mentioned above by controlling a resource, the value of the resource doubles in that province. For example, if silk would be worth 100 per turn to a merchant, and there are 2 silk in the province and the merchant controls it by sitting on one with the other vacant, the resource value doubles to 200 per turn for the monopolist merchant. The effect is only for that province, other resources of that type would still be 100 per turn, unless they too were multiple in their provinces with a controlling merchant. If an opponent merchant stops on the other resource, in the case of 2 in the same provinces, then the doubled value ceases and it drops back to 100 per turn, or whatever the value that resource is based on distance, resource type and merchant skill.

It may seem a small thing, but the TradingMonopoly condition affects the AI. Computer merchants will actively seek monopoly locations. They will also stop trading a doubled resource, if another merchant stops on the second spot, ending the monopoly. The computer will be aggressive in taking out competing merchants on a monopoly location, as well. It is quite a lot of work to go through and change the resources to double a type in each capitol province, but the result is worth it, in terms of the way the AI becomes more aggressive over resources.

Along with changing the desc_strat file to make 2 resources for each faction's starting capitol province, I also add a merchant to each faction which doesn't already have one (except the Papacy) and equalize them all to +2 skill (either NaturalMerchant 2 or NaturalMerchant1, GoodMerchant 1). This helps out the smaller factions like Lithuania, Aragon and Scotland. The B&B traits include a natural increase to Venice and Genoa/Milan merchants over time, so they don't really need to start at +3 and larger, richer factions like England need the competition from neighbors. I also remove crusade from Cairo in the descr_regions file so that Cairo isn't always the first crusade target. This seems to help force the game to choose Jerusalem (if the Crusaders lose it to the Fatimids), Cordoba or Vilnius (less often). I remove jihad from Palermo to keep jihad armies from pathing all over the world and back whenever an army is blocking the single road in to Sicily.

The condition, TradingMonopoly, is hard coded, by the way and can't be altered.

All of the other things which used to drive me nuts in mods, such as pirate fleets spawning in lakes, you have already fixed quite well.
    Last edited by Mogons; September 28, 2010 at 06:24 AM.

For England Men's Avatar Miles

firstly I love ss 6.3 never played any previous version but am fan of everything in it.

Main suggestion I would have is make it 2TPY as thats what most sub modders are doing anyway it works better as you have two seasons etc. Only other suggestions I would have is to integrate Meneths sub mod compilation or atleast make sure that it will still be compatible as is with the new SS 6.3 as I think most players are using one or two of these sub mods. Or maybe have a poll of which ones to integrate in the new version.

Apart from that keep up good work.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by For England Men View Post
    Main suggestion I would have is make it 2TPY as thats what most sub modders are doing anyway it works better as you have two seasons etc.
    I think the best would be having separate campaigns for 2TPY, like I've done. And I'll make 2TP compatible once 6.3.1 gets released, and include the minor changes that's been done to it in the Compilation, but not in the separate release.
    Only other suggestions I would have is to integrate Meneths sub mod compilation or atleast make sure that it will still be compatible as is with the new SS 6.3 as I think most players are using one or two of these sub mods.
    I'll make the Compilation compatible once 6.3.1 gets released. A version integrated in 6.3.1 would quickly become outdated, since the Compilation gets updated several times a week.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Hello, I have got a suggestion about armor updates' textures. Most of the highest-tier knights of european factions with the latest ( I don't know the term for it, sorry :c ) golden-shield armor update don't look quite appropriate and are replaced with men-at-arms by the end of campaign time which is also not very historical. Knights were a very high threat and tank-like force on the battlefield even by the mid of 16 century, and as far as their armor is concerned, it was rather different from what latest armor upgrades look in game now.

This applies first of all to:
    King's men, Dismounted king's men, Heavy swordsmen - England
    Noble knights, Chivalric knights, Noble foot knights, Chivalric foot knights - France
    Imperial knigths(mounted) - HRE
    Polish guard(mounted) - Poland
    Portuguese knights(both mounted and foot) - Portugal
    Chivalric knights(both mounted and foot) - Spain
    Dismounted Banderium knights, Royal Banderium - Hungary
    Knights of Montesa(both mounted and foot) - Aragon
    Chivalric knights(both mounted and foot) - Danemark
    Chivalric knights(only mounted) - Sicily

I'm not asking to change any stats, I'm just asking to change the textures.
    As far as England is concerned, I know for sure that the english knights of 15-16 centuries used somekind of a mixture of italian and german-gothic armor, for which the actual term "English armor" was used. While there is no special texture in game for it, I suggest that King's men(both mounted and foot) used gothic armor(don't change the weapons,leave those 2h-hammeraxes for foot version) texture for the latest armor upgrade. Also make mounted king's men ride plated horses.
    What concerns France - french knights of 15-16 centuries used italian armor, so change both foot and mounted noble and chivalric knights' latest armor upgrade textures so that foot knights looked like foot lancers, and their mounted versions looked like gendarmes.
    HRE. Add gothic armor texture for the mounted imperial knights(but don't give them plated horses).

Give Poland, Hungary, Danemark units mentioned above - gothic textures
    Spain, Portugal, Aragon and Sicily - italian texures

I'm not sure for Norway and Scotland, because I couldn't figure out which unit is their analog to gothic knights\lancers.

Also - do not remove highest tier knights from the rosters until at least the middle of the 16 century, leave them along with the men-at-arms, so that they were more expensive but deadlier units(which will be more hostorical) and men-at-arms somewhat cheaper but less professional than knights.

I've got some screens to confirm my words.

1 more suggestion, for soem factions generals in early campaign for first hundred or so years they have armour hat isn't even invented for the rest of your units would it possible to have early generals that look more like early medieval generals.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Don't know but it might be nice new rosters for muslim factions, it is possible to take BC rosters for the muslim faction of SS with their permission? don't know if the modders work with each other or it's a team for each project.

Dropping the ranged attack of longbow but making them AP and build it the attack with each rank of professionalism (longbow 3-4 atk, yeomen 4-5 atk and retinue 5-6 atck)

Make hashashim 48 instead of 33 and sherwood archer to 60 or just removing it since this unit is not really realistic and put another unit.

merging many similar units into one to leave more space for new units (like crossbow milita and crossbow peasant)

I guess for now that was it. thank you in advance

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Suggest removal of the following units from the EDU and NOT replacing them.

The idea is that this will leave sufficient slots for anyone to make a new faction if they want without disrupting the rosters of the other factions. They'd have to be removed from the rebel and merc lists as well.

Sherwood Archers
    Religious Fanatics
    Battlefield Assassins
    English Huscarls
    Bedouin Camel Riders
    Tuareg Camel Spearmens
    Hashishim
    Mercenary Ribault
    Mercenary Rocket Launcher
    Mercenary Monster Bombard
    Hashishim Mercenaries
    Gwent Raiders
    Templar Longbowmen
    ----------------------------------------

give slave ownership of all units?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post

The idea is that this will leave sufficient slots for anyone to make a new faction if they want without disrupting the rosters of the other factions. They'd have to be removed from the rebel and merc lists as well.

Sherwood Archers
    Religious Fanatics
    Battlefield Assassins
    English Huscarls
    Bedouin Camel Riders
    Tuareg Camel Spearmens
    Hashishim
    Mercenary Ribault
    Hashishim Mercenaries
    Gwent Raiders
    Templar Longbowmen

I'd like to keep "istanbul" if possible. Its my goto tool to conquer the targets of bugged sieges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post

Sherwood Archers
    Religious Fanatics
    Battlefield Assassins
    English Huscarls
    Bedouin Camel Riders
    Tuareg Camel Spearmens
    Hashishim
    Mercenary Ribault
    Hashishim Mercenaries
    Gwent Raiders
    Templar Longbowmen

some of those units are quite useful in the game though for instance if you take english huscarls and gwent raiders it will make the england early game quite hard , the mercenary artillery is so other factions can use them. hashashim , assassin and sherwood archers are all part of guild rewards. the better units to strip would be ones that are pretty much the same but are using different unit slots not unique units like most of the above.