Thread: New Unit Cards for WOTN Baltic

Default New Unit Cards for WOTN Baltic

Hello all,

Im doing the unit cards for the WOTN mod.

Below is an example of the unit cards.

Strat cards still WIP.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ta.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: New Unit Cards for WOTN Baltic

Rep him folks!

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

i gave him a rep

yes this mod will be great
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Automatix View Post
    i gave him a rep

yes this mod will be great
    Thanks.

The Mod is already a joy to play, but plenty of work to be done.

Good work, Char !

But is that leather lamellar those Jomsvikings are wearing ?

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Skandinav View Post
    But is that leather lamellar those Jomsvikings are wearing ?
    Indeed...

Sorry but you might want to rethink that as there are no sources whatsoever supporting the use of leather armor nor of lamellar by Scandinavians in the Viking Age.

The only things to come near are a magic reindeer armor in the saga of St. Olav and some Vendel era finds from Visby which might, and this is pure hypothesis, be pieces of metal lamellar.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Not every single warrior in the unit will have leather lamellar, but the Jomsvikings have been given this because A: There were not just Scandinavian Jomsvikings. B: They are semi mythical anyway, so some artistic license should be allowed on this unit at least. Considering we have paid attention to making all other units as accurate as possible, I don't see anything wrong with a little leather lamellar on the Jomsvikings.
    Last edited by Horsa; September 28, 2010 at 02:11 PM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Sorry but you might want to rethink that as there are no sources whatsoever supporting the use of leather armor nor of lamellar by Scandinavians in the Viking Age.

The only things to come near are a magic reindeer armor in the saga of St. Olav and some Vendel era finds from Visby which might, and this is pure hypothesis, be pieces of metal lamellar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Víkingr View Post
    Not every single warrior in the unit will have leather lamellar, but the Jomsvikings have been given this because A: There were not just Scandinavian Jomsvikings. B: They are semi mythical anyway, so some artistic license should be allowed on this unit at least. Considering we have paid attention to making all other units as accurate as possible, I don't see anything wrong with a little leather lamellar on the Jomsvikings.
    Hmm... I think you both are right. As far as I know there was no use of leather armor, but there have been several finds of lamellar that was traded from the east. Plus, if memory serves me right, the Jomsviking were very rich... so shouldn't most if not all of them have very good metal armor?
    But I think one little unit would not hurt...

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Harðurāðaz's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Hmm... I think you both are right. As far as I know there was no use of leather armor, but there have been several finds of lamellar that was traded from the east. Plus, if memory serves me right, the Jomsviking were very rich... so shouldn't most if not all of them have very good metal armor?
    But I think one little unit would not hurt...
    Jómsvíkingar can upgrade their armor to chainmail

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Svensk Viking View Post
    Jómsvíkingar can upgrade their armor to chainmail

Quote Originally Posted by Víkingr View Post
    It's your choice of course, but I personally wouldn't go down that path. Jomsvikings are somewhat mythical yes, but at least they are mentioned in the sagas which lamellar and leather is not ( nor is it mentioned in Baltic sources btw. where Jomsborg were located ).

And I only say this because I really care for and respect the attempt at historical accuracy in this mod.

@Heathen Storm, the Visby lamellar has never been proven to be lamellar what we have is rather bits and pieces of metal which, according to many recent analyses by archaeologists, might just aswell have been from vambraces or greaves.
    Also please be mindful that a leather backing doesn't automatically suggest lamellar as any good armor can use a good backing.
    Last edited by Skandinav; October 02, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: A typo

It's your choice of course, but I personally wouldn't go down that path. Jomsvikings are somewhat mythical yes, but at least they are mentioned in the sagas which lamellar and leather is not ( nor is it mentioned in Baltic sources btw. where Jomsborg were located ).

And I only say this because I really care for and respect the attempt at historical accuracy in this mod.

@Heathen Storm, the Visby lamellar has never been proven to be lamellar what we have is rather bits and piececs of metal which, according to many recent analyses by archaeologists, might just aswell have been from vambraces or greaves.
    Also please be mindful that a leather backing doesn't automatically suggest lamellar as any good armor can use a good backing.
    Im relatively new to the WOTN Baltic team but here is my opinion.

From reading the posts in the dev forum we are aiming at a historically accurate and fun to play mod but invariably difference over units will arise whether between team members or the wider public.

I tend to like the visual look of the Jomsvikings as they stand now, and as this is a semi mythical unit I feel we can display some artistic licence in portraying there appearance.

I am no expert but my understanding is that the Jomsvikings were based primarily in the Baltic but fought and plundered over a great distance. To that end I intend to add a Eastern flavour to the unit and present it as a merc for the teams consideration but rest assured they will be resplendent in mail.

Thank you for your interest in the mod.

Fair enough, char, and thank you for your answer.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Why are the unit cards so blurry ? They could be much better with more sharpness and maybe some very thin (1 pix) black outline.
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by cedric37 View Post
    Why are the unit cards so blurry ? They could be much better with more sharpness and maybe some very thin (1 pix) black outline.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I am no expert on producing unit cards and if you have the time to produce better cards feel free to take over.

My intention was to simply help the mod move towards a release date.

I cant remember criticising your work-As modders of varying skill we should all show some respect to each other on the public forum.

If you want to offer advise then please do but we should keep it private. I am using the cine cam to capture images and the units look better in game.

I have seen your work on the public forums and always been impressed.

I will look at your suggestion re sharpness and outline in time, + rep for the idea.

All the best.
    Last edited by char; October 30, 2010 at 04:51 AM.

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Hey mate,
    I think you got me wrong, my purpose was not criticizing, at least not a bad criticizing.
    I thought it would be helpful to give you some tips, that's all.
    I am myself way too busy so i don't want to mess up with the unit cards on top of my other assignments

I don't think i did show you any disrespect, but i apologize if you felt like this.
    Whenever you preview something on the public forum you should be prepared to criticism (sometimes good sometimes bad). I myself always endure it, more or less happiy, i think it comes up with any modding activity you decide to share with other people

Anyway, i am eager to see the unit cards redone following my suggestions
    Keep up the good work.

Cédric
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

That is the problem, maybe my English is not so good.

I will bear your comment in mind.

Ta.