Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exactly what is a teenagers Role in Society?

Default Exactly what is a teenagers Role in Society?

Hey Guys.

I have to write an opinionated essay on "a teenagers Role in Society" and I was wondering if I could gather the opinions of some members here, so, what role to you think teenagers play in our society? Do teenagers roled change according to their society?

Cheers.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Teenagers play a major role in society. First they are a source of relatively cheap labor. Also, they are the ones who are responsible for learning so that when they grow into their 20s they can fix the ills of society. Next, teenagers have to change the stereotypes associated with them.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

their main role is to learn and prepare themselves for the future when they will be the ones in charge.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

To help their technologically-challenged parents with all their electronic gadgets of course! :laughing:
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

Most native americans their teens were already considered adults as were most early societies in the world. Its not really until the victorian era that teens are become treated as half adults half kids. I would say modern society has it wrong and it leaves teenagers in a confused state of expectations. I find that when you increase the responsibility and decision making to the teenager you increase his or her self respect, self awareness, accomplishment and overall quality of the person.

In modern society your stuck with 6 years of figuring things out without the chance to really accomplish much other than school.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

Teenagers (students) are usually the fermenting ground for change. Teenagers don't go in with the mind set 'that's the way things have been.' They are more likely to ask 'why?' This might not manifest itself until those teenagers turn 30 or so. Teenagers also tend to focus more on specific issues, us oldies tend to look at the bigger picture - not that I'm one for making generalisations!

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Our role in society is to be the future and act as a constant reminder of said future to adults. We aren't good at it.

Their role in society is to do none of the housework, smoke pot, form cliques and be spiteful to each other, drink until they vomit, vandalise things, graffiti walls, root out every last virgin and subject them to humiliation until they conform, generally consume the resources of the Earth and give nothing back, and, when society is more lucky, commit suicide.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Quote Originally Posted by Cluny the Scourge
    Their role in society is to do none of the housework, smoke pot, form cliques and be spiteful to each other, drink until they vomit, vandalise things, graffiti walls, root out every last virgin and subject them to humiliation until they conform, generally consume the resources of the Earth and give nothing back, and, when society is more lucky, commit suicide.
    Are you sure you were actually born, and not some sort of crazy experiment that started off as a 30yr old???

From that list i have only done:
    None of the housework
    Smoke Pot
    Drink untill i vomit
    Punch a window
    Humiliating Virgins holds a special place in my heart (jk jk )
    Consume Resources of said Earth

Hmm, you may have a point.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

To STFU and stay in line, obey your parents and stay in school.

Enjoy your teenage years, they don't last long, at all. But do focus on that education part, it's key to the next 3/4th of your life! :wink:
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

i suppose our role is to recieve the wisdom of the previous generation..
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Savage_Swede's Avatar Carolus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Alameda

Enjoy your teenage years, they don't last long, at all. But do focus on that education part, it's key to the next 3/4th of your life! :wink:
    Yeah i agree that education is important but after 9 years in school you get tired of it all.
    I have always been a middle-grade student but now im afraid my grades are falling, because im so damn tired of coming home and do homework every single day and having three exams a week (you are only allowed to have 2 a week according to the law..)
    And now its already time for the national exams, its like the biggest and hardest exams in your entire school period designed to really test how good you are.
    Teens who do take school seriously dont have an easy time.

Sig by Lord Rahl
    Under the patronage of Obi Wan Asterix

Europa Barbarorum, what RTW should have been.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage_Swede
    Yeah i agree that education is important but after 9 years in school you get tired of it all.
    I have always been a middle-grade student but now im afraid my grades are falling, because im so damn tired of coming home and do homework every single day and having three exams a week (you are only allowed to have 2 a week according to the law..)
    And now its already time for the national exams, its like the biggest and hardest exams in your entire school period designed to really test how good you are.
    Teens who do take school seriously dont have an easy time.
    A law limiting amount of exams a week, time to pack up and move to Sweden.

Seriously though, wait till you reach 12 years and class is boring as heck and you have to apply to college hoping you get in, worry about all the last minute stuff all the while dealing with personal problems.. Though I don't mind school since it gives me a chance to hang out with my friends (living in a rural area has its disadvantages).
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Alameda

Its not education, except in how to pass exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeakus Maximus
    Its not education, except in how to pass exams.
    You are so argumentative, gesh.

What you learn in school goes way beyond taking exams. It teaches you how to research, how to organize you thoughts, how to ask the right questions, how to find the right answers. True, I've learned more on my own time, but it would have been 10X harder without some formal training. Plus, I'm an educator, so I'm biased.

Yea, school. A colossal waste of time.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Patrician

I didn't say its a waste of time, but really, as a school student in the current UK education system, I must say that all I have learned for the past two or three years is on the exam syllabus, and for the exams.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I notice most of the people who say it is a huge waste are still in high school themselves.

In truth, high school can be, because teachers are being graded as well as students. If their kids can't conform and learn all the stuff on the test, the teachers are in trouble. In college you get less of that though, as the teachers can teach you any damn thing they please, so you get more creative, interesting, and useful lessons.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Patrician

Well then maybe we have a point, as we are actually experiencing what we are talking about. Rather than talking about the education system of whatever many years ago.

Well hard to assign a role to a non-existant entity, teenagers were a made up class. But to me "technically being one", id say my role is to not break the "law" and jsu tlive life and find my own path. -Leon

Realistically, it can't be expected that we learn for much else other than exams at an early stage. It's more a case of proving you can learn something (anything) so that the specific training later on doesn't go to watse.
    Under the patronage of Wilpuri;
    Despotic master of ZaPPPa and Rowan11088.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast