Thread: Rome (Total Nightmare)

Default Rome (Total Nightmare)

Hello to All, As I have just bought RTW I decided to join you all in here. I imagine you are feed up of answering this problem, as you all know I have to ask the question, which is, I have bought a new machine (SEP 2005) it is running a radeon X600 graphics card but when palying the game for anything between 8mins and 30mins my machine decides to do a re-boot which as you might know gets a bit frustrating at times. I have emailed activision which sent so do 's and dont's which I followed with no good results. Can anybody help please. I would like to complet ethe game as I think that it is very good (the bit I have manged to play)

Cheers
    mitch

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch

Hello to All, As I have just bought RTW I decided to join you all in here. I imagine you are feed up of answering this problem, as you all know I have to ask the question, which is, I have bought a new machine (SEP 2005) it is running a radeon X600 graphics card but when palying the game for anything between 8mins and 30mins my machine decides to do a re-boot which as you might know gets a bit frustrating at times. I have emailed activision which sent so do 's and dont's which I followed with no good results. Can anybody help please. I would like to complet ethe game as I think that it is very good (the bit I have manged to play)

Cheers
    mitch

Does it happen in all 3D intensive games? (Try games like Doom 3, HL2, and Unreal 2004 etc)

It's likely either your CPU or graphics card over heating or your power supply not being good enough. Download motherboard monitor (do a google search for it) and see what it says about temps to your systems components.

Hi Freddie,
    thanks for the info, I don't normally play intensive games, I only play the stratergy type like the total war stuff. I have also purchased Imperial Glory which runs okay. It just seems odd that a new machine is unable to run what is after an oldish game. I have even been into PC World an dthey have said that the card (Radeon X600) is good enough to run this, so I 'm a little confused. I certainly cannot justify the cost of a new card at this point after spending it in a new pc. Any sugestion woul dbe helpful though.

Jurgen

adamus's Avatar Miles

Does the game crash in the campaign map or when you are fighting a battle? If it is the latter, then try reducing the unit size. I play RTW on large, but if I play a relatively large battle (1000 vs 1000 and upwards), then my computer has a tendency to reboot because my crappy 1 GHz Pentium processor overheats.

If you only bought your computer in September this year, then it certainly should be good enough to run RTW without any problems (mine is 4 years old now).

Although you have posted in the right place, try posting here - this is where all the computer "guru's" hang out, and you should get more help and advice if you post there instead.

Patrician

Hi Freddie,
    thanks for the info, I don't normally play intensive games, I only play the stratergy type like the total war stuff. I have also purchased Imperial Glory which runs okay. It just seems odd that a new machine is unable to run what is after an oldish game. I have even been into PC World an dthey have said that the card (Radeon X600) is good enough to run this, so I 'm a little confused. I certainly cannot justify the cost of a new card at this point after spending it in a new pc. Any sugestion woul dbe helpful though.

Jurgen

Your machine is really ought to be good enought to play R:TW in all of its glory, but do as the other guy said and try playing on smaller settings.
    If you have a friend that can lend you a copy of a highly intensive 3D game, try playing it on yours and see if the machine still crashes. Also install this MBM direct download link to see if your CPU is running to hot.
    Have you tried a clean install of RTW as well?

Thanks adamus & Freddie for your suggestions which I will try and let you know what happens.

adamus:

My re-boot happens in the campaign map mainly after a battle, and there are less than a 1000 on each side, my army setting is set at large. My processor is a 3.2G and a I said earlier I believe that my card is good enough( but thats my opinion).

Freddie:

I will try the website you suggested and download the file, but as far as getting a intensive 3D game my contact do play them.

Thanks again guys

I had a simular problem, expect that the game would crash to desktop after winning a battle.

I found that updating to 1.5, updating directx and updating my video drivers (before i was running an old version of the omega drivers).

I'm not sure which update fixed it, but I know that the game doesnt quit out on me anymore.

meh. Hope this thread ain't too old to reply....o_0

Default And now Total relief

Hi All, just to let you know that my original problem of the re-booting was down to my power pack not having enough power. Thanks to Fujitsu thsi ahas now been changed and I can now get slaughtered ever time I go on.

Thanks to all you guys that sent me advice

jm :laughing:

Patrician

Hi All, just to let you know that my original problem of the re-booting was down to my power pack not having enough power. Thanks to Fujitsu thsi ahas now been changed and I can now get slaughtered ever time I go on.

Thanks to all you guys that sent me advice

jm :laughing:

I did say in my first post it might your power supply not giving your machine enought juice. *looks smug*

I've got to say "your the man Freddie" but until fujitsu decided themselves that the power supply was at fault there was nothing I could do, as it was still under warranty. But thanks again.

jm
    Last edited by jmitch; January 05, 2006 at 02:56 AM.