Thread: Can something be done about travel speeds?

Default Can something be done about travel speeds?

This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

In real life, a legion could march from Köln (Colonia Agrippa) to Rome in 57 days. In RTW this would take several years! Highly cheesy and annoying.

One big reason for the Romans' dominance was their strategic mobility. Rome would never have survived with these frigging lazy slugs we get in the game.

Seeing as how you can give orders to a city in Ukraine, even though your capital is in Italy, in the space of one turn, why can't you march a legion there in the same time?

Can anything be done to make marching speeds realistic in-game?

Wow....I never actually thought about that before....huh. That would be something. Still, it would be a bit too much to be able to march so far so fast without some penalty (like a loss of men or experiance), unless you have roads and all. But yeah, the idea does have merit. It would definately change strategy. Such as, when I first played, my main strategy (as Brutii) was to launch a series of lightning strikes while the Scipii and the Julii were at the boarders of their empires, taking control of the Italian penensula before they could react.
    Maximus Lazero
    Why is it that at least one of the Romans are wusses?

Es Arkajae's Avatar Foederatus

It won't work well because the game is TURN based.

Where are you going to put your armies?, are you going to have one outside every city that can possibly be attacked?, how is your enemy possibly going to defend themselves when your armies can simply run rings around their field armies and pick off all their cities in one turn.

Perhaps if the game operated timewise like Paradox games it could be done but as long as it is turn based...
    "Man has killed man from the beginning of time, and each new frontier has brought new ways and new places to die. Why should the future be different?"- Col. Corazon Santiago.
    "No Conqueror has ever suffered one pang of remorse over a surplus of victory"- Xenophon.
    "Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant"- Tacitus.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

You want the Workshop. Moved.

Indeed, with a turn length of six months, realistic travel rates would unforunately be completely insane.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

If you used, say, 12-26 turns a year, this might be appropriate
    Otherwise you need to make abstractions for the game rules.
    If you follow your train of thought further, you can sail a ship from egypt to scandinavia in one turn.

...Reaction moves seem to be a possible answer. Noone would complete an entire turn unimpeded unless the other players allow it. A payer could issue march orders but there would be no guarantee they would be carried out. Ability to react could be a function of the quality of generals. Much too realistic and cumbersome a concept to ever be that popular, although certain board games by GMT and others have this feature.

Increasing the travel speed, such as making armies able to jump more in a turn, might makes some interesting effects. Such as more wars conquer/destroy and more conflicts. But I could be wrong.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

I have found tha tincreasing the travel speed just results in a siege spam, so its not a good thing to do.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.