Thread: 60k in the hole?

Default 60k in the hole?

The Norman nights are devistating, the generals body guard are everywhere. En I have finally devised a plan to stop the Normans, and so far it is working. Instead of a mixed army I divide all of my troops up by genere, and create speicalized armies and surround my enemy . I have been hitting the Normans with 5 units of Huscarles and a generals bodyguard(Royal huscarles). they act as a shock troops and force the normans to retaliate with there crack troops, this of course leaving the weaker troops unguarded, for my swords and spears to drive home in numbers. My troops numbers are running out fast and I still haven't zeroed out my deficiet yet. I am probably going to lose this game due to lack of funds. Which makes me ask is this realistic to start 60k in the hole?
    DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: 60k in the hole?

Very, because you'll be back in positive figures in a matter of few turns. The English campaign is supposed to play as a prolonged defence, until you have the funds to strike back. The Normans will start suffering losses as well soon, both military and financial (they lose a lot of cash per turn too) and things will even out - just give it some time.

You could also try holing up in London and/or Uintanceastir - both of those settlements have a stockade wall, which means the enemy can only come in through the gates, where you can easily surround them and deal with their cavalry on much more favorable terms. Fighting the Normans in field battles is very difficult; much better to wait for them to assault.

Just wait it out, keep checking your taxes in your towns, and make sure you're always earning a profit. Accept the fact that you'll probably lose several settlements, but know that you'll also get some back due to loyalist revolts in your favor.

And when a loyalist revolt *does* happen, check to see if there are any good units involved - like Merc. Butescarles or Merc. Horsemen. Send those troops to join your main armies at London and/or Uintanceastir to replace losses due to siege. Meanwhile, send those extra peasants around to swap out extra Fyrd or Light Fyrd that are wasting their time as garrisons in your N and W cities - those troops are much better if they can actually join your real army.

So yeah, the only "new" troops you'll get for a long time are due to rebellion or a son coming of age. Fortunately, your Royal Housecarls rock. And if you can hold out long enough, you'll be making back money eventually. Just don't lose Uintanceastir, or you'll face big loyalty problems of your own!

My plan to disassemble the Norman knights is working, My huscarls have aquired enough chevrons to be the dominant force on the feild. I have been singling out individual norman armies by pulling all of my troops back to around London. The normans have been sending in their armies one at a time. I hit them hard with my Huscarles to break enemy strength and my ai reinforcements mop them up, My casualties have been low. Perhaps I will make it back to the plus side of my coffers yet.

I am still new to the English system but so far all is working out as planned. I am however not sure what the councill of kings do for the provinces. I will have to read more about it tonight afterwork.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]