Thread: EB and difficulty settings.

Default EB and difficulty settings.

It's been heavily stated that the difficulty settings in RTW 1.2 are bugged. Has internal testing in EB found anything noteworthy on this subject?

And thus, what are going to be the recommended settings?

EDIT: I did a search and didn't find anything related particulary for EB... so if there's already an answer just point me there.

As far as I know the campaign difficulty setting is not bugged, it simply isn't all that important. I've heard rumors that the Battle difficulty bug doesn't actually affect campaign, but only skirmishes. I cannot confirm either of these things personally, however.

Artifex

The campaign difficulty setting does make a difference, though not a huge one. We'll recommend very hard because at that level, rebels are given the ability to siege faction cities, and other capabilities they should have, in order to represent truly independent nations, as we wish them to.

The campaign battle difficulty setting is apparently not bugged, though the custom battle difficulty setting is. We are balancing on medium for the campaign, so that at that setting the units perform the way we wish them to relative to each other, but those who have no problem defeating the AI may wish to increase this to hard or very hard. This will give the AI a statistical bonus to unit stats, so those who want a greater challenge in this way will get it. We do not grant the AI any sort of unit stat bonus on our own.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. - Seneca

will the diplomacy be scripted for historic ceasfires and declarations of war?

as you surely know, on VeryHard the AI also shifts into delusional hitler total war mode, and will just send men across your borders like the niagra, never even considering diplomatic negotiations. not the best compromise imo

Artifex

Well, I have found playing Very Hard that the AI has its own problems to worry about. As far as diplomacy is concerned, only in the first few years do we script that sort of thing. After that, conditions will have changed too much to want to try and depict history through scripting. History will be in the process of being rewritten.

Hell, if certain things don't happen on the very first turn, we could see a VERY different 3rd century BC than we did in history.

Foederatus

Hey, please don't try to replay history. This is re-writing history - when you start a new campaign, all things are (supposedly) historically correct. Now, when you move your general 1 pixel you have re-written history. Thus you cannot replicate the real one.

I think you may have taken what khelvan said wrongly. We are not trying to replicate what happened. But simply to allow the AI too react to your movements/attacks/treaties as history would expect, and not as it were cast a blind eye to it. -Lu

Artifex

As I said, we only script for things very close to the start date. Historical alliances, for instance, will cause people to go to war over interests abroad, that sort of thing.

Foederatus

Exactly. I was not answering to Khelvan, sorry if I was not clear. I was rather answering to this:
    will the diplomacy be scripted for historic ceasfires and declarations of war?

LorDBulA's Avatar Biarchus

And thus, what are going to be the recommended settings?
    I personaly would sugest VH for campaign and H for battles.
    As khevlan said battle difficulty is buged only for custom battle.
    For me H diff level for battles gives more challenge but it doesnt give rediculous effects like VH.