Thread: "Suboptimal" Family members and Generals or..

Icon12 "Suboptimal" Family members and Generals or..

.. otherwise said economy & troop morale ruining, unrest causing, tax reducing, trade abrubting, unlikeable, stupid, ignorant, not-worth-leading-any-legion, bastarts that followed my first two leaders (who where along with theyr 5-6 other family members and generals quite good).

This little fella is just one example, and I really have not the slightest clue how they got THAT worse

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ok I know, good economy, education (e.g. the correct buildings) and so on make some good threads as well as other buildings, and of course winning battles makes the other half of the attributes, but why in hell do I have to have such rotten D**HEADS as heirs to my throne. I got so far to exile them out of my city and now I have at LEAST half a stack of idiots running around only ready to die for my empire somewhere abroad ? or is there any way I can still make them something likable?

In generall, how do you educate/train your family members and generals to become decent (in my case roman) citizen? or is it just too late for me and I have to reduce my (really really large, I can adopt at least every second round somebody..) family to the prospering minimum?

Any help is highly advanced or those fellas will son walk straight into hades
    "Cogito, ergo sum. !"

Taelok's Avatar Senator

Default Re: "Suboptimal" Family members and Generals or..

I'm afraid the only thing I've found that helps is for them to be good commanders. If they get something like the 'Leads from the front' trait, that's usually a good sign.

Sadly, it could just be luck that characters are 'good' or 'bad'.

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

I generally round up bad governers into one army and use them to take out brigands while recruiting new ones in cities with at least a scriptorium. It says it all that when I first started doing this, I had enough to almost make a full stack Crappy faction leaders take a trip into darkest Germania and tragically are never found again

Personally, the fact that you can recruit generals is a godsend, since it's way too easy to get heartless ruler it seems, and that's a killer.

From my 3rd faction leader onwards i have always had my leaders, loved by the people and the senate. I did this by never raising my taxes to very high, and EVERY city is green faced. Also i groom my faction heir from age of 16, But before making him heir i search his traits for bad traits. For example at the start its hard, as your family tree is small so you can only make 1 or 2 people heir. This doesnt last however, as there always will be a child a little later with no,or little bad traits. Those ones i pick and give them everything i can to help. I give them the strongest legions, always let them travel with generals of lesser command stars so he will get command, and this best traits. And so i groom him towards being leader. When he is leader, and he gets children. The first trait i look at is:

Takes after his father
    Not like his father

This way you can easily see if he will become good. Because you groomed your heir into being a great man, if he takes after his father, You will be able to Groom him much easier, and he will not gather bad traits. This only increases the further you play. After the Imperial reforms, i had a 16 year old son, who was so badass he was immediatly heir. He had 3 command stars 2 management and 4 influence, he died 75 years old, 9 star general with a son, who took after his father and had 6 stars being 41. I hope this helps a bit, even though i just wrote a mini AAR on my family tree
    Roma Surrectum Fanatics. Click HERE to Join Us!!!
    Death is light as a feather, Duty heavier then a mountain

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

On the subject, I know there's multiple family tree's in RS2, but is there any way to look at them all? The only one I can see is the Faction Leader's.

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Sweeper View Post
    On the subject, I know there's multiple family tree's in RS2, but is there any way to look at them all? The only one I can see is the Faction Leader's.
    The only way possible is if you open the List All button in that Faction Display Window screen, and you'll see the words "Family Member" there, so at least it's better then nothing. Also, it's only useful for active generals, so any hidden family members that are still not of age, are still hidden from you unfortunately.