Thread: Geek campaign

Default Geek campaign

I started Greek campaign - got tired of Romans

Modded unit file a bit - reduced hoplites to 120 per unit and Spartans to 100 per unit. Left prices the same.
    I am also avoiding building any buildings that add to troop experience.
    I tell you - is is getting to be a difficult campaign

Invaded North Italy, masacred Gauls there, built forts in Alps passes and abandoned all cities for Julii to take. Julii shyly taking them
    In the meanwhile I am defending Italy from Gauls - nurturing Romans for later challenge
    Romans keep trying to invade mainland Greece, so I keep one army to kick their butt once they land
    I also abandoned Syracuse to Scipii. Scipii took Sicily form Carthage and are now the strongest Roman faction.

Also, Germans are flooding in Balcans, so fighting them too. I got several VERY tough battles against Germans. They just flood between armored hoplites - which I keep in phalanks formation. Only Spartans save me so far.

I use following formation:
    5-6 armored hoplites in phalanks formation
    4-5 peltasts in second line
    1-2 archers 3rd line
    3-4 Spartans in reserve
    2 light hoplites on the flanks and reserve
    2 cavalry/militia cavalry

I do not use sword hoplites - I find them not historical

I wonder if somebody thought of creating Greek mod for SPQR - to make Romans stronger, so there would be no need to nurture them

You could just change the stats and starting provinces etc...

You could be the 1st person!

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

I started a greek campaign once, second turn the macedonians siege one of my cities. I realy hate allies.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Actually is you look through the posts in SPQR you will see that someone did make a Sparta mod for SPQR. I have it installed. It has new Greek skins and it's a tough beginning.

Edit: here's the thread and the download: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33041
    Last edited by DEMETRIOUS II; December 08, 2005 at 02:33 PM.

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Off topic, but the thread name is quite funny. I was hoping for a mod where you pitted gargantuan mobs of geeks armed with staplers and old printers against each other.
    Där man däckar får man ligga!

Quote Originally Posted by DEMETRIOUS II
    Actually is you look through the posts in SPQR you will see that someone did make a Sparta mod for SPQR. I have it installed. It has new Greek skins and it's a tough beginning.

Edit: here's the thread and the download: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33041
    thanks DEMETRIOUS II
    I will look into that.

Although I am sort off enjoying not getting too far from original SPQR. So far I have only one file modded (and have original backed up - in case I will want to get back to Roman campaign ). The most I would want - is perhaps more experienced troops for Romans, and better starting position for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kungapa
    Off topic, but the thread name is quite funny. I was hoping for a mod where you pitted gargantuan mobs of geeks armed with staplers and old printers against each other.
    ?
    what's so special about the name?

"geek campaign"?

What is so special about that? Well, it is missing out an "r" so when I and Kungapa first saw it we thought it was something to do with a load of "geeks", defined as "A term similar to nerd, but slightly less pejorative in tone" or "The sort of person who would get really excited at the prospect of using a text editor on a 900 megahertz workstation to write out the definitions of technical terms" or "Short for computer geek, an individual with a passion for computers, to the exclusion of other normal human interests. Depending on the context, it can be used in either a derogatory or affectionate manner. Basically, geek and nerd are synonymous"

Or "A computer expert by aptitude and not mere training. Usually male, under the age of 35 and socially inept; a person whose tremendous skill with operating or designing computer hardware or software is exceeded only by his, rarely her, passionate love of the technology" or "A nerd is very similar to a geek, but with more RAM and a faster modem. Nerds often find geeks dull because geeks don't spend enough time talking about computers" or "Someone who is socially inept and unstylish; especially one with an unnatural devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits"

"boffins - " or "The word conjures up images of older men in thick spectacles and white lab coats working with complicated chemical apparatus" or "people with no social life" (such as myself!).

So you have probably built up an image of a "nerd" , "geek", or "boffin". Now you can see why the title is a bit funny! And so is kungapa's post!

Anyway, I like reading other people's campaign stories, so much so I began to write my own but lack of progression mean that that had to stop! Your campaign sounds good, and challenging, when will you tackle the Romans?

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious" - Alan Minter
    "When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her." - Sacha Guitry.
    "If one synchronised swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" - Steven Wright.

oh damn LOL
    I did not see I mistyped thread name

that's a good one

I doubt I can fix it now .... At least I do not see the way

Yeah I thought the "geek" campaigne was weird. At first I thought someone was making fun of the mod, but lord knows I have miss typed before.

I was LMAO writing it!

Quote Originally Posted by mercja
    Yeah I thought the "geek" campaigne was weird. At first I thought someone was making fun of the mod, but lord knows I have miss typed before.
    I'll tell you - when kungapa wrote that thread name was funny - I carefuly checked the spelling of the word "campaign"
    It did not occure to me that I managed to misspell "Greek"...

Anyway - anybody else tried Greeks in SPQR? It is a lot of fun, once unit sizes are edited.

LOL yeah, try them Greeks and Macedonians even before even considering Rome (plus i also added new custom-made units such as Athenian and Corinthian hoplites, hypaspists, heterois, more Athenian, Corintians, Spartaiates, and cretan archers but those are all late game 'elite units' and i hate to see carthage and potolemy outnumbering my hellenic factions in the Unit list. Just bugs me. I didn't do any editing with the unit size for Hellennes but i did edit almost all the units of rome to 240 and added back the vanilla preatorian cohort( which is still weaker than the SPQR one) to the three Roman factions with a size of 200. believe you me, it's not that easy anymore once i've done that but still not as hard as trying to take Rome (SPQR are strong as crap by my 'phalanx' Spartans can take them on no problem. The time when i really hate preats is the time when my whole Jullii legion, along with my 6-star faction heir, got anialated by those bastards) Anyways when i'm done with Rome, gonna try out Selucia.

(Sorry for all the brackets)