Thread: My Novel Idea

Default My Novel Idea

Well, I've decided to post my idea for a Novel here, which I was planning to do for awhile now. As some of you may or may not know, it's set in a Dystopia future society. I shall post the basic synopsis of my novel. I currently have no title, so bear with me.

The story is set in the late 23rd century, and humanity is fully united and rules most of the known universe. It retains the universe's largest and most advanced military force, has colonized millions of worlds, has subjugated or destroyed hundreds of alien races, and is home to over sixtrillion citizens. How ever, the entire human race are now ruled like insects. The greatest crime one can now commit is any thought of Self, the thought that something belongs to you, and not the hive and your comrades. Self comes in many forms, but a few examples would be gaining and keeping personnel material possessions beyond necessities, human love, and having children with the idea to start a family and not to simply breed more humans for the State.

Human society is divided into strict classes, and any human born into one class remains that class until their death. The Classes are these:

The Elites: The Sprawling bureaucracy of the human empire, The Elites are in charge of oppressing the drones and creating the soldiers. The Elites maintain a huge secret police, which ensure any thoughts of Self are brutally and quickly punished.

The Drones: The Workers of the new human state, most Drones live short, miserable lives on the thousands of production-class worlds. Their only purpose in life is to construct weapons and armor for the soldiers, colonize new worlds for the state, and breed. The Drones are by far the most oppressed class, and most Elites think them sub-human. Billions of them die in one month alone, but the humans produced in that month more then make up for the losses.

The Soldiers: The Soldiers are raised in vats and are genetically enhanced to be physically superior to other humans. Most soldiers are over seven feet tall, and with their battle armor, weigh almost 2,000 Terran pounds. They have nearly the same living standards as the Elites, as the state believes it's soldiers must have every comfort that can be afforded to them, as they do all the conquering. Each hive world as a division of Soldiers "protecting" it, but many of the divisions torture the Drone populace or exploit it to their own ends. At times, there seems to be a power struggle between the Elites and the Soldiers, as each is a valuable asset to the State and have almost equal status.

That's all I can think of, at any rate. I'm still working on the characters, but the rest of the plot revolves around a group of Self Criminals getting together and joining a resistance group bent on taking out The Progenitor, the mythical founder of the current human State.

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea? Rubbish or gold? Will it stand a chance at getting published? Let's find out.
    The proud progeny of Lord Sephiroth.
    Also a proud member of the Royal House of the Black Prince.
    "What would you humans know of loss? The Eldar have been singing songs of lament before your race even crawled out of the ocean on your bellies."

Ummm it's a bit too "fictiony" and "insecty" for my taste. But it should be entertaining to read. Don't expect to win any awards though :laughing:.

And aren't drones usually supposed to be sterile?

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    Ummm it's a bit too "fictiony" and "insecty" for my taste. But it should be entertaining to read. Don't expect to win any awards though :laughing:.

And aren't drones usually supposed to be sterile?
    I never did expect to win anything, and to tell the truth I never did. I don't need awards.

And someone needs to breed.
    Last edited by Nerwen Carnesîr; December 08, 2005 at 04:14 AM.
    "What would you humans know of loss? The Eldar have been singing songs of lament before your race even crawled out of the ocean on your bellies."

Why do you need awards?

And shouldn't the elitists have the privelege of breeding? Usually when you call something a drone, it can't reproduce. Maybe you could come up with a specific class who's purpose is only breeding.

Oh and I think your timeframe should be farther into the future...considering the level of human advancements and expansions that you're suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    Why do you need awards?

And shouldn't the elitists have the privelege of breeding? Usually when you call something a drone, it can't reproduce. Maybe you could come up with a specific class who's purpose is only breeding.

Oh and I think your timeframe should be farther into the future...considering the level of human advancements and expansions that you're suggesting.
    That's a typo. Forgive me; I'm a bit intoxicated right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwen Carnesîr
    That's a typo. Forgive me; I'm a bit intoxicated right now.
    Great...writing a novel while intoxicated....

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Sounds a little WH40kish...But good concept just try to flesh it out more. Also add a fourth mysterious class that is individualistic and actually runs the whole show from behind the curtain.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Not realy a bad idea, not bad at all.

Question.....There will be a drone rebellion correct?

Also, your title of this thread is a pun, hehe

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

This really reminds me of an Orwellian novel and the Matrix in a hybrid, but i like the general idea, you may need to expand on it a bit though (i know this was just off the top of your head)

However, like i said:

The Progenitor = Big Brother
    The Elites = The Inner/Upper Party (or whatever Orwell called them)
    The Drones = The Part of the Party Winston belongs to (i cant remember the name, i havent read 1984 since i was 10)
    The Soldiers = These guys are part of all societies, good option and really fits with your background
    The Resistance = Goldsteins movement in 1984

Admitedly you have no Prole based population section but there would most likley be one in the universe on an Empire of that Scale.

@ Farnan: Its not really that 40K'ish, the "Hives" Nerwen created were nothing like the ones GW invented, and the resistance movements in 40K are a lot larger than a band of people who realise the concept of "Self"

Ideas i freely give (even though you may not find them to be that useful)

Make the Progenitor a aspect of fiction, one idea would be have the main characters discover more of the history of this Empire as the book unfolds, untill they eventually find out it was decided in a meeting of the top leaders of a group of human planets, or that The Progenitor is some sort of Alien that controls the leaders of the Empire. Alternativly the Empire could actually be on the brink of revolution on every planet in the Empire but due to some very very impressive propaganda they make each planet think that if they rise up then all other planets will raise arms against them, the Planets would have no way of knowing about the truth because the leaders have stopped all interplanetery communication.

The Soldiers of course are not "human" and also have no concept of self, they are bred to fight and as such have certain aspects of the brain wiped at birth - So that they literally know how to breath, eat, defacate, fight and the other things they need, no actuall ability to even recognise an individual like other humans can, they would be complete Automatons.

The two levels of citizenry could be interchangable, or at least appear to be. Position within the ruling caste is determined by birth, but it doesnt appear that way. e.g: a High up familay has 3 children, 2 of them are kept as leaders, while one is sent to live among the workers and drones but "ascends" to a position of power due to the manipulation of the workers by the elites, the child would be of the right birth and he would also be an Automaton as far as self thought is concerned, but his/her memory would be re-written on ascension in anycase.

The chief aspect appears to be the recognization of self, which is good. What about if everyone recognised themselves as a "self" or individual person and acted as such, but due to such extensive propaganda and brainwashing some of the population would hold themselves as below the party while retaining concous(sp??) thought. The resistance could also be Pro Imperial - See the above idea - with the main characters being the bad guys who recognise themselves as self but want to be in charge.

Alternativly, going with your origional idea, what about if the sole purpose of the resistance was to elevate themselves to control of the Empire with themselves as the new Elites, keeping the truth/myth of the Progenitor alive to keep themselves rich, the main characters could also find out this has happened many times before, and the only reason the Empire retains its power is because there is a secretive rebelion organised by people with an overriding belief of self against the current leaders, the rebels little realising that the old leaders were in the same position 10-15 years ago....

Well, that was my brain storming, pretty unstructured (my ideas that is) but feel free to mess around with them at your own discretion.

PS: GrimSta is a great name for the Hero
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

As a lover of 1984, I rather like this idea. So long as the Resistance fails somehow, 1984-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Hicks
    Not realy a bad idea, not bad at all.

Question.....There will be a drone rebellion correct?

Also, your title of this thread is a pun, hehe
    Most likely, there will be yes.

@GrimSta: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take them into mind when I start writing again.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Drone rebellion... how depressing. Surely just a study of life in the system would be more fun to both read and write?

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

I'd scale it back a bit, the entire universe by 23rd century, 6trillion people.. how much is a trillion anyway?

Why not just make it the local galaxy.. hell even that is pretty damn huge. And you need some cool names, elites sounds too Halo. Try and include the word federation at some point, always makes things sounds cool. For example:

"I,_, of my own free will, without promise, coercion, or inducement, after having been duly advised and warned of the meaning and consequences of this oath, do now enroll in the Federal Service of the Terran Federation for not less than two years and as much longer as may be required by the needs of the Federation.
    Anyway, how can any one government rule over that many planets? Communication and transport would be the biggest issue, youll need to explain the technology in a reasonable amount of detail.

Also in this sense, how can you have any sort of hero or bad guy who fully represents anyone when the scale is so huge
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Federal Service of the Terran Federation
    That sounds somewhat silly. Federal Service of the Federation? Eh? Service of ... what? The Federation? Then of course it's a federal service...

You want things like Federal Intelligence Service, not Federal Intelligence Service of the Federation. :wink:

how much is a trillion anyway?
    British or American?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Good idea, Nerwen, but do it like in two distinct section: first more of a study of how things work in this dystopia and then the tale of the revolt of the Selfists... Could be cool...

And a little advice on the writing... begin by making a few short stories of the sections you allready thought up in your head and then shape the full picture.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    That sounds somewhat silly. Federal Service of the Federation? Eh? Service of ... what? The Federation? Then of course it's a federal service...

You want things like Federal Intelligence Service, not Federal Intelligence Service of the Federation. :wink:
    lol hey dont blame me, blame whoever wrote starship troopers and the Terran Federation Oath of Service. Service of the Terran Federation is called 'federal service', being a militaristic culture this typicaly involves being part of the armed forces in some way. Its probably written in such a rhetorical fixed verbal form for liability reasons...
    Last edited by Spiff; December 12, 2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

ooh! it sound like a 300 hundred years after 1984, hope all goes well! and good luck!

Civitate

You can take this so many different ways!! Good luck.

P.S. really reminded me of Brave New World at first
    proud patron of : ____________