Thread: Does RTW pull stacks out of thin air?

Default Does RTW pull stacks out of thin air?

I'm curious to know how the RTW AI generates its armies and assassins-spies-diplos. Does it just 'make them' when it feels like it, or is it restricted like the player to recruiting 1 soldier per turn, per city? The reason I ask is obvious - it seems like the game can throw army after army in less turns than it takes me to move an already created army from town to town. In my current campaign, most of the enemy factions are financially broke now , so how can they afford to retrain or recruit new soldiers and ships?

And don't get me started on assassins and spies. I've been killing an enemy assassin for about 15 turns in a row at one of my cities that is FAR AWAY from any other faction's cities and the bugger keeps coming back (or his replacement anyway). Now how is that possible? I'm also using assassins to sabotage the nearest enemy forums/great markets so they can't recruit them, but they still appear.

Does anyone know for certain how it works?
    Last edited by seVVVen; December 08, 2005 at 04:46 AM.

I think the enemy pulls full stacks out of the thin air when they're about to get destroyed. With Parthia, I marched towards their last city. My spies saw everything, and I thought it was going to be easy: their capital had a garrison of only six units: a general and some phalanx. One turn later, they suddenly backstabbed me with a full stack of phalanx and cataphracts.
    In patronicum sub Tacticalwithdrawal
    Brother of Rosacrux redux and Polemides

TRSjarmen's Avatar Semisalis

I have always assumed that the AI is given some advantages in recruiting, not sure what they are though. As in when playing on VH/VH or something and their troops are just more powerful. I have seen pretty much every faction pull a full stack out of thin air at one time or another. I would have to say Macedon is the best at it, though they do have rich lands so its slightly more beleiveable with them. About the Spies and Assassains, i don't really use them unless a bunch of spies or diplomats are gangbanging a town and i just go and assassinate them all. I have never had the magical returning ones like you're getting.

adamus's Avatar Miles

See here

Each AI faction is assigned two "personalities" - one determines its building priorities and the other its troop-recruitment priorities.

The difficulty level determines the economic and military benefits/penalties for the AI. Basically, on Easy level, the player will receive more money than the AI would for the same province with the same buildings and also in the battle map, the player's units would receive bonuses (to morale, not sure about attack/defence bonuses).

On a normal difficulty level, there is no advantage or disadvantage for the player/AI and on very hard, the AI receives economic bonuses in the strat map and military bonuses on the battle map.

As far as I know though the AI doesn't have "0" turn recruitment, but maybe they have cloning technology.

Hope that clears it up