Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Archer's Tale

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default The Archer's Tale

Link

Okay this is the first in the Grail series. It is about a young English Longbowman who makes his way around France during the 100 year's war, in search of a life and to recover the Lance of Saint George. It depicts battles pretty cool, and has an intresting plot.

It's a very easy read and isn't exactly very deep, but all the same it is worth the read.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I have that book, and all the others in that series. They're good reading. Below is a link to Froissart's chronicles. He wrote of the Battle of Crecy, as well as the Scottish invasion of northern England.

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/mo...c/FroChro.html

adamus's Avatar Miles

Good series, but it was really obvious to me in the first book what the Grail was, so that kinda ruined the ending for me personally.

It was originally titled 'Harlequin'. Changed to Archer's Tale only for the American release. Like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

What is it about Americans and titles of things? They're weird.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

I saw that. I figure because Americans would see Harlequin, and think WTF?, but when the see Archer's tale, they can easily relate what the book is about.

And I have no clue what the Grail is yet, only read the first so far

I love the historic battles, they are very descriptive and suprisnglt accurate.

What made the book better was my histiry teacher I said that the French won the battle. I was extremely suprised by this as I had correctly thought the English had a great victory. So after that I was thinking the English were going to loose the battle, but then released half way through I had been right all along. Great read!

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Of course the battles are descriptive!!! this is the magic of Bernard Cornwall, the man who made Sharpe, the man who got me intrested in Wellingtons campaigns and the trials and trebulation s of the 95th, this author is without a doubt one of the best around and deserves recognition as such
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

I've always loved Bernard Cornwells Books, they are great. I bought The Archers Tale Series and the Sharpe novels last november

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

It was re-named "The Archer's Tale" because there's a series of romantic love novels called the Harlequin series. People would have gotten a bit confused.

I've read the Starbuck Chronicles, The Last Kingdom, Warlord Trilogy, the Grail Quest series, and most of the Sharpe series. I also saw a few of the Sharpe movies, with Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe. They were okay, but I would really love to see a miniseries (maybe on HBO) with a bigger budget, Cornwell in charge of screenwriting, and Sean Bean as the hero again.

Speaking of the Warlord Trilogy, I think that should be made into a movie trilogy. Cornwell's sitting on a gold mine.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Yeah these books are awsome! Best read i've had since the last HP novel.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Bernard Cornwell is my favourite author. The way he evokes the period about which he is writing is wonderful.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

Default The Archer's Tale Trology

Anybody read it? Its a great book about the Hundred's Years Wars that follows the adventures of an English army and his adventures throughout Europe. Many twists and turns but it remains very historical in portraying the sides (French, English, etc). Theres also some suspense and mystery ala Da Vinci in it , really "epic" and a great read. I reccomend it to historical fiction fans or people who just love great adventure epic books. That Cast of Characters is amazing. Im just in the first book , almost done - but im hooked. I plan to buy the other 2 books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...books&v=glance

i have all the books in this series. the final end is not the best, and it all base off real history. miss finger forgot which book read on.
    shadow of what we were

Yeah i just finished the first one, its great! I just came from borders and bought part II and III. The second was follows thomas to Scotland. Its really good book on the war against the scots from an english point of view.

Great series, I read it this year...took me 2 days (if I find a book that gets me reading I find it hard to put down...at all).

you read the whole trilogy in 3 days? nice . Yeah it took me that long to finish the first one, but it was worth it.

Slimshoom's Avatar Civitate

read it, i love bernard cornwell hes an awesome author,
    Under the Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus
    Grandson of the Black Prince

I liked all off them but the end of it disappointed me, it felt as he had gone through all of it to no use.

Libertus

Yeah, Bernard Cornwell is an excellent author. I have read the Archer's Tale Trilogy, the Warlord Chronicles, The Last Kingdom, and several of the Sharpe books. All are very good and difficult to put down!

Slimshoom's Avatar Civitate

sharpe is an amazingly deep character, and the storylines make it impossible to put the book down, awesome series
    Under the Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus
    Grandson of the Black Prince

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

The Warlord Chronicles truly do rock! I suggest you try them (The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur) if you haven't done so already!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast