Thread: Odd descr_strat error

Default Odd descr_strat error

I posted this at the Guild, but I might as well ask here as well. Im in the process of converting a map from 1.2 (if thats a hint to the problem). I've already applied the HGT Converter to it (so height shouldnt be a problem, I hope). However the error I am recieving is "Expected start date of campaign or battle" Im not quite sure what is wrong because I've never seen this error in vanilla.

Code:
    campaign my_campaign
    playable
    huns ;
    goths
    vandals
    franks
    saxons
    alemanni
    sassanids
    empire_east
    empire_west
    end
    unlockable
    end
    nonplayable
    sarmations
    empire_east_rebels
    empire_west_rebels
    ostrogoths
    slave
    end

start_date 2954 summer
    end_date 3054 summer
    so hmm, not sure why thats being reported as the problem. I wont know what other problems are there if this error doesnt stop showing.

hummmmmm... what are those dates? 2954??? huns wiv lasers? jedi goths?
    could be that either ca code can't read thousands of years only hundreds
    or... you forgot to mod something like the apparitions of slavs - still happening in year (lets say) 427
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

The campaign my_campaign doesnt really matter. I would change it back just in case. Why is there a ( after huns? Also, you have sarmatians spelled wrong. It should be sarmatians. That is probably your problem.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

spelling a faction name wrong would kick you back to the main menu, not cause a CTD (at least it is that way in R:TW 1.3). The large dates should not matter; there must be something wrong before it hits the date lines so that it does not recognise them.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Hi thanks, It does kick me back to menu (i see the error when I exit). 2953 Third Age lol.

Edit: Yeah that seems to have been the problem, unfortunately now the thing crashes without error.
    Edit 2: When the game crashes completely without error, what things may be causing it. What I've done is stripping down the game to its bare essencials.
    - In descr_strat all settlements have just the core buildings listed, so i dont think export_descr_buildings is interfering, though... faction allowances are still there (im yet to try the game with the faction prerequisite removed).
    - Names. I've added names to the corresponding factions in corresponding data/ and data/text - I also removed names (and factions) from descr_names (does this have any impact?).
    - Basically, I'm not sure what's causing it to crash, could it be that the map itself is incompatible?? Though it crashes before the faction selection menu.
    Last edited by Burns; December 08, 2005 at 12:58 PM.

I see a major problem...the Celts, Burgundii and Lombardi are all missing from any of the lists...

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

That's not a problem - you can take factions out as long as you remove their map presence and make sure they have no attachment to another.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men