Thread: The Islamic Renaissance/Golden Age

Default The Islamic Renaissance/Golden Age

I feel that the Islamic Golden Age/Renaissance is highly and unfairly underrated these days. We ignore the great advances and contributions that the Islamic Renaissance made to the world. When Europe was in the middle of it's Dark Ages, Islamic empires were contributing to and advancing greatly in the fields of medicine, science, mathematics, and the arts.

So what I want to know is how much and what other people know about these contributions. Do we Westerners give due credit to these contributions? Do we realize their impacts? Which of their contributions were the most important? Why do some feel that the "Islamic Golden Age" is overrated? Why do some feel it is underrated? etc.

We are not here to discuss Islam. We are not here to discuss the Islamic nations of today. We are not here to discuss religion. We are here to simply focus on the contributions of the Islamic nations during the Dark, Middle, and Renaissance ages; and how these advances/contributions paved the way for future advances in the West and the World.

If you don't know much about this topic then check out this brief Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age
    Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; December 07, 2005 at 06:55 PM.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Hmmm... you just put the Physiologica section into a dangerous position.
    I hope we can keep this section strictly dedicated to science, and not turn this into yet another mudpit.

Anyways, my carefully crafted opinion:
    The nice thing about science is that it can progress regardless of religion or culture.
    Discoveries made in China can just as well be used in Europe.
    There is no such thing as hindu or jewish science, there is just one science (even if conventions can sometimes vary over time and location).

Of course Islamic countries have contributed to science too.
    Their important discoveries are numerous and must be celebrated.
    People of different cultures often deny eachother credit, so it's no surprise that christians margenalize muslim science.
    But IMO scientists should stand above this.
    Last edited by Erik; December 07, 2005 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    I hope we can keep this section strictly dedicated to science, and not turn this into yet another mudpit.
    Yeah I hope so too. I don't want another mudpit discussion. That's why I put it in the Physiologia section.

Anyways, my carefully crafted opinion:
    Careful not to trip. :laughing:

The nice thing about science is that it can progress regardless of religion or culture.
    It can, but that's not always the case. Look at Christian Europe before and during the Renaissance. Religion (The Church) was very reluctant to accept science, especially in areas that would conflict with the religious texts and understandings.

People of different cultures often deny eachother credit, so it's no surprise that christians margenalize muslim science.
    But IMO scientists should stand above this.
    Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Yes, I believe that it is highly underrated. Never in my history books have I seen Islamic Golden Age, written in big gold letters like the Roman Empire, has. It is only a small paragraph on one page all the way in the back area that we never study. But I'm cool, all I need to know is that it happend and it has a section, although very tiny, in the history books.:wink:

What about Human Rights for women?
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Alameda
    What does that have to do with the "Islamic Renaissance"? During that time, no part of the world had Human Rights for women. Equal rights for women are a fairly recent thing in the context of society and government.
    Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; December 11, 2005 at 06:52 PM.

But like I said, it is highly under rated in western society.

It has a page and a half about Human Rights for Women.

They contributed a LOT to astronomy. If you look up in the sky most of the named stars are either greek or, usually, arabic.

Alderbaron, Algol, and Betelgeuse to name a few, they are latinized names. They contributed a LOT to that science and a lot of the arabic leaders contributed a lot of time and money to the people who did this research.

Could say the same about Christianity at this time...... I guess the south east asians are the most moral people though then, as they are the only area at this time that had it. All hail vietnam! The moral crusaders! Dont be ignorant. People who are prejudiced about islam like this try to hide the fact that they contributed to science and other things, like philsophy.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    What does that have to do with the "Islamic Renaissance"? During that time, no part of the world had Human Rights for women. Equal rights for women are a fairly recent thing in the context of society and government.
    Ok, sorry. Maybe that wasn't the right question for this thread. You're right. And I don't deny what the east gave to science and math, etc.

But when do we get to put up a thread about the Enlightenment of Islam, or Islam Enters the 21st Century?

Really, women's rights is going to have to be addressed by them eventually, and is really (*)my only problem with the faith on a whole.

(*)Because I am granting you that the IslamoFacist's are the one's distorting the Quran, not the Ismalmic faith on a whole --although I still don't see enough of them condemn it!!!

(I just saw the part about not discussing today's islam... so forget I spoke up, again sorry. These were questions, not intended as insults)
    Last edited by Francisco Montana; December 12, 2005 at 04:00 PM.
    Faithfully under the patronage of the fallen yet rather amiable Octavian.

Smile! The better the energy you put in, the better the energy you will get out.

Darth Wong's Avatar Pit Bull

China contributed to the development of science as well. Lots of people contributed. Science does not judge contributions based on the merits of their authors; it will take any valid ideas it can get, from whatever sources it can get. And that's the way it should be.

So yes, Islamic societies did contribute, but when people think of scientific advancements, they tend to think of advancements during the Age of Enlightenment, when the modern scientific method was developed. Science during the Middle Ages was something of a haphazard affair. They did get some things right, but they didn't really have a formalized, methodical way of doing it.

Yes, I have a life outside the Internet and Rome Total War
    "Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions" - Stephen Colbert
    Under the kind patronage of Seleukos

Really, women's rights is going to have to be addressed by them eventually, and is really (*)my only problem with the faith on a whole.
    Whats funny about this is that rascists (idk what the word is for people who are anti-islam) use this excuse all the time. The thing is this is simply NOT true.

Its a cultural thing to do with some countries in the middle east, its completely separate from the religion. If you look at Turkey or Kazakistan woman have rights there.... also you have to look at the fact that those are higher than 3rd world countries, Saudi arabia and Iran being completely third world. Also you look at Christian africa woman have pretty mucht he same problems. Hell in many fundamentalist areas in the US woman are treated in much the same way as well.

All I should have to say is that its a cultural thing, NOT islamic. Look at Turkey and Kosovo or simular areas and you will see the truth. I'm also sure that Jordan and Syria also has womens rights.... though with them i'm not as sure.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Harlanite's Avatar Certified Ignoramus

Hindus used to burn widows. Real women's rights are a recent phenomena.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Hmmm... you just put the Physiologica section into a dangerous position.
    Thanks Alameda, thanks a lot.

Well it took leaps and bounds that no one at that time had.

Thanks Alameda, thanks a lot.
    LOL!!!! That was good!!! :laughing:

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Medieval Islamic culture had the advantage of being at the crossroads of East and West. The greatest Islamic minds had access both to the ideas of China and India as well as classical teachings of Rome and Greece. It was a fertile breeding ground for new ideas in math, science, and medicine.

Of course, the two great centers of Islamic learning - Almohad Spain and Baghdad - were eventually destroyed by wars with the Mongols and later the Spaniards. I don't think Islamic learning and culture ever really rebounded after the Crusades and the Mongol Invasion. The Ottoman Empire was a great military power in the 15-1600s but I've never heard of the Ottomans being great patrons of the arts and sciences.