Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Faction Preview: Kursi

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Faction Preview: Kursi

The Baltic is filled many tribes fighting amongst each other, but out of all the Balts the Kursi (or Curonians as they are better known) stand out as one of the richest, most warlike and most fiercely pagan. From their center in Grobin they control the local amber trade and their ships have raided throughout the Baltic sea, even raiding the lands of Swedes and Danes, thus giving themselves the nickname "Baltic Vikings" today. Their trade connections with the Prussians, Slavs and Germans granted them incredible wealth, but not all is bright for the men of Courland, constant potential threats lay in every direction, They are far from the only raiders in these seas, and far from the only tribe in the Baltic. Surrounded on land by many other Baltic tribes and neighboured by Swedes, Danes and Finns on sea, their position is strategic yet challenging. As if these problems were enough, they lay in the position for an excellent conquest by the Rus' who are soon to dominate the area east of them. An obvious start to grow in power would be to use the wealth gained in trade to expand the armies, conquer the other Balts, and establish a larger presence in the Baltic sea, but none of this will be easy.

The path of the Kursi is an uncertain one...

Strengths
    Good infantry and skirmishings troops and a land rich in Amber.

Weaknesses
    Depends mainly on lighter infantry and begins with only one settlement.

Starting Regions

Jurpilis

Units

Kōngu Sarġi
    These men are the mounted bodyguards of the Curonian kings and chieftains. They are composed of the most loyal and effective fighters in all Courland, and their high socio-economic station grants them access to the best equipment available.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kaŗawyri
    Trained warriors who carry javelins and axes. Although lightly armoured, they are quick moving and reasonably good in a melee.

Šķēpunėši
    Free farmers who fight as light infantrymen armed with shields, javelins and spears. They are not professional troops and should not be excepted to defeat heavier units, but their mobility is an asset that should not be underestimated. Curonian way of warfare was centered around small-scale raids, and nearly every man had at least some experience in combat.

Bandėńyki
    Raiders who travel across the seas to loot and pillage other settlements in the Baltic. Feared and rightly so, they are armed with axes and round shields. Truly the Balts answer to Vikings.

Dulľaińi
    Fuelled up fanatics, ready to fight to the death for their gods. They may be lightly armoured, but they make up for this with their "berserk like" blood lust on the battlefield.

Strėlńyki
    Men without the training to survive in close quarters, armed with javelins to pepper the enemy, they excellent in use alongside infantry, but will be quickly slaughtered if engaged in a melee themselves.

Jātńyki
    Wealthy landowners who could afford to lose their horse in war, these warriors fight as light cavalrymen.

Dižwyri
    Veteran spearmen with experience on their side. Skilled in the use of the shieldwall, they are capable of cutting down many a foe.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Faction Preview: Kursi

Thanks to the Baltic: Total War team for their great help!

ODINNNN!
    Sorry, I just yell this at top of my lungs every time I see a new preview of WotN.

Unique faction.

I will absolutely get my "Baltic Viking" on!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Duuuuuude I love this. Baltic factions <3

+rep Vikingr

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

looks awsome!
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Awesome preview guys! I ing can't wait to conquer the map with my ancestral faction! I salute you guys for your excellent work!

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Nice preview
    keep it up

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Neige Noire View Post
    Awesome preview guys! I ing can't wait to conquer the map with my ancestral faction! I salute you guys for your excellent work!
    Your a Curonian?

well done

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Vķkingr View Post
    Your a Curonian?
    Yes, partly.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

DAMN NICE!

noice

DragonsWarrior's Avatar Senator

looks brilliant

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Certainly one of my first-campaign top choices. Congrats to the WotN and BalticTW teams and keep it up!

Love it! Can't wait to try them out. Batlic Vikings, what's nto to like?

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

I'm really glad to hear the great reception for including this faction. They deserve to be in, but I wasn't sure if there would be very many interested in playing them.

Next preview will probably be Hįlogaland, created by the excellent absinthia. So stay tuned...

You amaze me once again. Can't wait. +rep for you, my friend.

Baerke Hinn Gauzki's Avatar Senator
    I have absolutely no bloody clue. Somewhere in Sweden I THINK...

Hm..... This looks quite original!! Couldn't wait more for it to come out to all of us!!
    *Drewling*

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I can hardly keep my longship of the coast, I hunger for Kursi blod!
    Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Certainly one of my first-campaign top choices. Congrats to the WotN and BalticTW teams and keep it up!
    Certainly one of my first-campaign targets! Under the foot of the Northmen, I say! Harr harr harr, and so say Thiodolf:

"Norsemen, who stand the sword of foe
    Like forest-stems unmoved by blow!
    My hopes are fled, no peace is near, --
    People fly here and there in fear."

Valgard thus speaks:

"Few were they of escape to tell,
    For, sorrow-worn, the people fell:
    The only captives form the fray
    Were lovely maidens led away.
    And in wild terror to the strand,
    Down to the ships, the linked band
    Of fair-haired girls is roughly driven,
    Their soft skins by the irons riven."

And thus my bed was will be warm.

~Wille the Skald
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast