Thread: AoVaF Preview December 7th 2005

Default AoVaF Preview December 7th 2005

- Our public forums are located here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
    - A short introduction about what the AoVaF mod is about can be found here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48789
    - We are still in much need of skinners for this mod! If you can skin, please sign up for this mod so that it can be completed!

Preview - Danes and Norwegians - Part I

Preview time! This time the preview features the Norwegians and Danes, the viking factions most active in Western Europe.

Some of the units

Norwegian svirrur
    Spear throwing was considered a manly act in both peacetime and war, and these svirrur (comes from the sound of a thrown spear) form a quite cheap unit of javelinmen used by the Danes and Norwegians.

Danish spearmen
    The spearmen, with their famous shieldwall or fylking, often formed the bulk of the viking armies. These men were supposed to take the charge of the enemy. When the formation was broken, the huskarls and other axe or sword-armed troops filled the gaps.

Norwegian Geirrmen
    The best of the viking spearmen used chainmail and were quite capable fighters also against enemy infantry. The most professional viking armies would employ mostly professional spearmen like these to form the shieldwall.

Danish hurkarls
    No viking faction would be complete without the infamous huskarls. Being some of the best axemen in the world at the time, these men serve an important purpose both for fighting in the line, flanking and similar.

Horsemen
    While vikings weren't known for their cavalry, the vikings most likely had the knowledge needed to field a basic light cavalry mostly for chasing routers and scouting out enemy positions. The danes at the end of the period fielded some more professional cavalry, but the Norwegians and Swedish never used anything of higher quality until in the late high Medieval period.

Norwegian Archers
    Without cavalry, the viking armies needed archers for harassing and forcing the enemy into stupid moves. Archers both had the task of demoralizing, harassing and forcing enemy manouvres. As a result, viking archers were often very skilled. Some historians even claim they used longbows, although much evidence suggests these longbows were by no means comparable to those of the Welsh, for instance.

Some special, not very common, units in the Danish and Norwegian armies:

Jomsvikings
    The joms vikings, according to both sagas and historical facts, were a special elite of vikings gathered in the city of Jomsborg, which seems to have been located along the southern Baltic coast in modern Germany or Poland. It's unclear how much is legend and how much of the tales have some substance to them. In any case, it seems clear that these mean were a dreaded elite with high morale and outstanding combat skills, but rare on the battlefields, which is also how they'll appear in AoVaF.

Danish berserkers
    No viking mod would be complete without the legendary berserkers. These men are led into bravery by religious beliefs. The sagas speak of Valhalla, where brave men who died honorably in battle will meet the Gods in the afterlife.

Some of the units in action

Norwegian Huskarls doing well against a group of Danish spearmen.

As the Danish spearmen are about to break, the Norwegians send their horsemen into their rear, while the huskarls continue to chop a way through the surviving Danes.

A Danish general with his huskarls has been surrounded by Norwegian geirrmen and huskarls, but manages to resist the Norwegian pressure despite inferior numbers.

Danish horsemen get a nasty surprise as they foolishly charge an isolated group of Norwegian geirrmen, who manages to turn around to face the threat in time.

The Danish archers desperately resort to their small axes when the Norwegian geirrmen and huskarls charge them from two directions, and put an end the bloody battle.

Danish and Norwegian banners

Norwegian banner

Danish banner

Thanks to www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.use for free image hosting.
    Some of the displayed content units might be work in progress.

Wooow! The first think I see of this mod and it looks marvellous! Congrats!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

One of my most anticipated, though these vicious vikings aren't holding my hopes as much as the Magnificent Muslims are.

Very great units!

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Whoa! I'm glad I found this! Amazing work!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Excellent guys!!!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

If this ever becomes vaporware, I swear to God I will hunt you all down and slit your throats in a bloody rampage.

Good work guys! Two thumbs up!
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    Well smoking is just for a special blend of people. People who are outgoing, friendly, who enjoy having a good time and take life one step at a time. Smokers are the best people. They are adventurous, loyal, good looking and the most popular people in your class. When you see people having fun, there is bound to be a cigarette around!
    My name is AUC, and I used to be a fat kiddy console gamer.

Oh...I've been waiting for this, since...

your last preview!

I really like this mod, the name and timeframe is so brilliant!
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Quote Originally Posted by Ab Urbe Condita
    If this ever becomes vaporware, I swear to God I will hunt you all down and slit your throats in a bloody rampage.

Good work guys! Two thumbs up!

Well, actually, all these screenshots are photoshop editing. We took screenshots from different viking based games, and we copied them onto a RTW screenshot. :wink:

Can I suggest you change the title 'AoVaF ...' to 'Age of Vikings and Fanatics...'?
    Since I don't think many people opened this topic yet , simple because they don't know 'AoVaF'
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    Can I suggest you change the title 'AoVaF ...' to 'Age of Vikings and Fanatics...'?
    Since I don't think many people opened this topic yet , simple because they don't know 'AoVaF'
    That's a good idea, I'll do it right next time I post a preview

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Sexy viking banners! and thos Huskarls looks realy great to.
    --

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Damn fine work there guys!
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Great work!
    High quality units

The Fourth Age: Total War - Map Manager, Editor and Coder